Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Neteller+ MasterCard (in Dollars) in USA

• 18-01-2012 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone else had used a pre-paid card (neteller etc) in US Dollars, and if it was found to be beneficial?

I opened a neteller + account and opted for US Dollars so that I could have a Pre-paid card for my upcoming holiday to the States - in the hope of minimising the FX fees I would incur on my AIB Visa, and also that I couldn't spend what I don't have.

I was going to transfer some money across to pay for hotel bookings etc, and while the local bank transfer option on the Neteller account is free, there is 2.50% FX processing fee on the transfer amount. After checking the AIB website, I see they would charge 2.75% on transactions on my Click Visa. So it looks like there are only minimal savings on using the Neteller card, and I wonder am I just better off sticking with my AIB Visa? Apart from not overspending, the only other advantage with the neteller card is that its in dollars so I can easily keep track of what I'm spending, rather than wait to see what will come off the AIB card.

Anyway hope all the above makes sense, I'm just trying to decide whether to bother with the neteller card at all or just bin it (didn't cost me anything!)

Advertisement