Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Corner Techniques

• 18-01-2012 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭

I have always wondered what a coach brings to a corner, just the obvious vaseline etc
    Or any techniques used on cuts or what ever crops up?
    Do you corner like Greg Jackson very calm and collected or get your fighter revved up?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I have always wondered what a coach brings to a corner, just the obvious vaseline etc
    Do you corner like Greg Jackson very calm and collected or get your fighter revved up?!

Different fighters need different treatment, in most cases been calm is best-some people need to be fired up.

how i corner depends on the fighter.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Let the coach do his corner-coaching.
    But leave the cut work to Leon Tabbs. Legend. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

I read the Stitch Duran book which got me thinking about it, but in it he never goes into much detail about techniques according to him its a hard job and requires lots of experience as far as i was aware it was just vaseline, pressure and cotton buds!!
    And some good concise advice from your coach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭tyreman1

I read the Stitch Duran book which got me thinking about it, but in it he never goes into much detail about techniques according to him its a hard job and requires lots of experience as far as i was aware it was just vaseline, pressure and cotton buds!!
    And some good concise advice from your coach :D

i did a cutmans course with joe clifford last year in our club
    i can safely say your way off with "just vaseline, pressure and cotton buds!! "

we covered a lot of different cuts and swelling and yet we only tipped the surface..
    As far as a good cornerman goes i think its different strokes for different folks as paul said.
    greg jackson has his calm collected approach "ok mr pierre , deep breaths...5 second pause , then instructions commence"
    the flip side is jason guida slapping clay senseless before he even gets in the cage and continues to hype em up through the fights

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rob01

tyreman1 wrote: »

greg jackson has his calm collected approach "ok mr pierre , deep breaths...5 second pause , then instructions commence"

the flip side is jason guida slapping clay senseless before he even gets in the cage and continues to hype em up through the fights

I would say it depends on 1. the actual fighter & 2. how the fight is actually going. If you take Greg Jackson again as the example, I have seen him calm so many times as mentioned above, yet in the Cowboy vs Diaz fight he was screaming like a lunatic because Cerrone was clearly loosing and something needed to change if he was going to turn things around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

tyreman1 wrote: »
    i did a cutmans course with joe clifford last year in our club
    i can safely say your way off with "just vaseline, pressure and cotton buds!! "

I more or less assumed this alright.

Didnt know there was courses been ran at home for it, looks like a lot of stuff is coming together in the last 2 years for Irish MMA with blood tests and the new C class rules and courses like this and the talk of reffing courses

Advertisement