Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body of stabbed man found outside Limerick house

• 18-01-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭

Another Murder:

From looking at google street view and matching it to the photo on the Limerick Leader website
    it looks like around 85 Lenihan Ave area (Aprox), the house beside the one thats
    cordoned off appears to have fairly large security cameras, 95fm say he's known to the Gardai.
    Wonder if its related to the gunfire/slashing a few days ago close by.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/body-of-stabbed-man-found-outside-limerick-house-2991903.html
    By Independent.ie reporters

Wednesday January 18 2012

THE BODY of a 43-year-old man who had been stabbed was discovered outside a house in Limerick city early today.

Gardai were called to an incident at the house in Lenihan Avenue, Ballinacurra Weston shortly after 1am.

When they arrived they discovered the fatally injured man lying outside the house.

He was taken by ambulance to the Mid-Western Regional Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

An investigation has been launched into the incident.

The area has been sealed off for technical examination and the State pathologist will today undertake an examination.

It is understood that the dead man was known to the gardai and lived close to the house where his body was found.

- Independent.ie reporters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I see the victim has been named by RTE, but cannot find an online link to that article.

Bleow is the Live95FM article on it.

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/witnesses-are-being-sought-to-last-nights-murder-in-limerick-city/695f42e2-93c7-44ed-b4e6-74697f22d68c

WITNESSES ARE BEING SOUGHT TO LAST NIGHT'S MURDER IN LIMERICK CITY.
    18 January 2012A man's body was found outside a house in Lenihan Avenue around 12.30.
    He had been stabbed a number of times.
    Live 95FM's Eric Clarke has the latest:

Gardai were alerted by the ambulance service who received a call to Lenihan Avenue in Prospect at 12.35 this morning. There they found a man on steps outside a house with multiple stab wounds.
    He was pronounced dead at the Mid Western Regional Hospital a short time later.
    The scene outside the house is preserved for a technical examination and a post mortem by the State Pathologist is expected to take place later today.
    Gardai have been working to establish a motive for the murder - the victim a man in his 40's was known to them and lived in the locality.
    Mayor Of Limerick Cllr Jim Long knew the victim.
    An incident room has been set up at Roxboro Garda Station and anyone with information can call 061 214340.

RTE have updated their site to include the name.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0118/limerick.html

A house in Limerick remains sealed off as gardaí continue their investigation into the fatal stabbing of a man early this morning.

1 of 1 Garda investigation into Limerick death under way A house on Lenihan Avenue in Ballinacurra Weston, Limerick remains sealed off as gardaí continue their investigation into the fatal stabbing of a man in the city early this morning.

The man was found with stab wounds at the front door of a house at 12.35am.

Ambulance personnel alerted gardaí to the incident and the victim was pronounced dead at the Mid Western Regional hospital a short time later.

He has been named locally as 43-year-old Gerard McMahon, a single man whose family lived in the nearby Raheen Square area of Ballinacurra Weston.

Gardaí say they are keeping an open mind about the motive for the killing.

The victim was known to gardaí and had been before the courts on a number of charges in the past, including a number of burglaries and criminal damage.

Gardaí are investigating if his criminal past is connected to his violent death.

The State pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy is due to carry out a post mortem on the victim later today and an incident room has been set up at Roxbora Garda station.

They are appealing for information and for anyone who witnessed activity at or near the house last night to contact them.

The Mayor of Limerick, Cllr Jim Long, who also knew the dead man and his family has made a direct appeal to those responsible to come forward and assist gardaí in their investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TONY DAY

No doubt it will make Headline National News just because it happened in Limerick!!! Media will use it as an excuse to batter Limerick's reputation as usual!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

TONY DAY wrote: »
    No doubt it will make Headline National News just because it happened in Limerick!!! Media will use it as an excuse to batter Limerick's reputation as usual!!!

Stabbed to death in limerick, what would you rather they report, nothing? Brush it under the carpet.

A man was stabbed to death in limerick, fact.

Limericks reputation :) thats all limerick people seem to care about.

Of course it should be reported. It is News. But as a Limerick Native i'm getting a bit tired of the Tabloids especially using any bad news out of limerick as an excuse for more sensationalist "Stab City" type headlines!!! And i do care about Limericks reputation for the simple reason it can prevent Companies from locating here and creating jobs.
    I await the medias response to this tragedy with interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Of course it should be reported. It is News. But as a Limerick Native i'm getting a bit tired of the Tabloids especially using any bad news out of limerick as an excuse for more sensationalist "Stab City" type headlines!!! And i do care about Limericks reputation for the simple reason it can prevent Companies from locating here and creating jobs.
    I await the medias response to this tragedy with interest.

There were a few other murders around Ireland over the last week. Each one was headline news both on tv and in the tabloids. Why should the same crime in Limerick not get reported in the same manner?

Much prefer to see a crime as serious as murder get headlines and maybe see the killers get flushed out, than for it to become a case that murders in Limerick are no longer seen as being worthy of being headline news.

langdang wrote: »

Same name and address as the guy that was murdered anyway.

KESS yes that is true all the other murders which have happened recently did make Headline news!! BUT i don't recall the journalists making derogatory lazy comments about the towns in which these murders happened. As i said earlier i await with interest as to how the Limerick murder is reported in the National press!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How dare the media use the fact that there was a murder in Limerick to portray Limerick as a city where violent crime happens!

• Advertisement

KESS yes that is true all the other murders which have happened recently did make Headline news!! BUT i don't recall the journalists making derogatory lazy comments about the towns in which these murders happened. As i said earlier i await with interest as to how the Limerick murder is reported in the National press!!

Your post got me curious, so I have listened to news reports on four different radio stations, one Limerick and three others, and had a look online at a few newspaper websites, some broadsheet and some tabloid. I don't see any derogatory remarks about the city in any of them.

The first post in this thread also carried a link to how one paper was reporting the killing.

Fair enough react to any false claims a paper makes about a murder in Limerick once a paper does so, but seems odd to be giving out about it when no paper has done so to date on the murder in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

today fm reported this in lunch time bulletin, but dropped it later in the day, lets not accuse the media just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

@Tony Day, why not hide under the bed, and ignore the scummer problem....

What would you prefer, nobody reports it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

Tony, I don`t understand what you mean?
    If it is a news item the media outlet will report the facts. Nothing but the facts. Opinion and comment never appear in news bulletins.

Could you provide some examples of what you mean by, "...journalists making derogatory lazy comments..." please?

Plus given that the mayor of the city made a statement to the media earlier today regarding this murder and the fact that he is a friend of the murdered man/murdered man's family, it would be hard to keep it out of the media spotlight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

the mayor claimed a friendship with a person who shat on the floor of the court?

zuroph wrote: »
    the mayor claimed a friendship with a person who shat on the floor of the court?

Will have to watch the RTE news at 18:01 to see if the interview is played again, but pretty sure that what he said was along the lines of that he knew the deceased and his family and that he (the mayor) was a family friend. The exact wording will be on the news and probably on the RTE media player thingy.

He also called for the killers to turn themselves in, as their arrest was inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

I reckon Cathy Hallorans agent is behind all these murders.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Good riddance. Scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

osarusan wrote: »
    How dare the media use the fact that there was a murder in Limerick to portray Limerick as a city where violent crime happens!

Hmmm. Murder in Cork around midnight.

Already dropped entirely from RTE1 News bulletin less than 12 hours later (11:00 am), yet they still had Limerick featured prominently (second item) for full day and night on radio/tv and on website newspage.

Of course it's paranoia......just like tomorrow's Oirish Daily Star will devote it's front page lead to the Cork murder, in the maintainence of balance naturally (Ger Colleran is famed for such it's said :rolleyes: )

Yep, all in our head.

Incidentally @ OP, curious to know why you decided to use the sub-heading "another murder", afaik, a significant period has passed since anyone was murdered in Limerick - I may be wrong but I thought it was back in May/June of last year - was there a more recent incident over the last few weeks that prompted such a sub-head?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Ye should get a super injunction!

europa11 wrote: »

Already dropped entirely from RTE1 News bulletin less than 12 hours later (11:00 am), yet they still had Limerick featured prominently (second item) for full day and night on radio/tv and on website newspage.

Of course it's paranoia......just like tomorrow's Oirish Daily Star will devote it's front page lead to the Cork murder, in the maintainence of balance naturally (Ger Colleran is famed for such it's said :rolleyes: )

Yep, all in our head.

Incidentally @ OP, curious to know why you decided to use the sub-heading "another murder", afaik, a significant period has passed since anyone was murdered in Limerick - I may be wrong but I thought it was back in May/June of last year - was there a more recent incident over the last few weeks that prompted such a sub-head?

`

The Passage West stabbing? That has been on most news reports this morning, and the story is being carried on every newspaper website I checked for it. Plus the news of a person being arrested for it already is in most reports.

For me the issue is not how some paper reports on something that actually happened, the issue would be that there is a person or persons who killed another person still walking about in Limerick. Having that type free to do the same again should be a bigger concern than what some tabloid says.

If there had not been a killing in an area that had a gunfire incident only days beforehand and that has had scores of various incidents over the years, then maybe it would not catch the eye as much. If tabloid headlines pop up, so be it. They are only highlighting something that is not being stamped down on by the courts in Limerick and elsewhere in Ireland. Maybe, just maybe, a headline someday will be the tipping point to a bright spotlight being put upon those who allow scum to rack up 100 convictions and still walk the streets committing more crimes. Probably not knowing Ireland and the pretend nothing happens attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Not living in any pretence world. Just expecting the same coverage for similar incidents no matter where they happen, if the RTE Newsroom have a different POV that's their business. The fact a guy was arrested in Cork is neither here nor there regarding dropping the actual report.

Having said that, maybe if the Mayor of Cork decides to do a Jim Long and claim to have known the victim "personally" it might make the evening news ;)

As for scumbags racking up 100+ convictions, well our legal industry has a lot to answer for. No doubt there are plenty of luvvies who will justify that carry on, esp. those who profit from it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

September - http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/limerick_gardai_investigate_suspicious_death_1_3109184

Not living in any pretence world. Just expecting the same coverage for similar incidents no matter where they happen, if the RTE Newsroom have a different POV that's their business. The fact a guy was arrested in Cork is neither here nor there regarding dropping the actual report.

Having said that, maybe if the Mayor of Cork decides to do a Jim Long and claim to have known the victim "personally" it might make the evening news ;)As for scumbags racking up 100+ convictions, well our legal industry has a lot to answer for. No doubt there are plenty of luvvies who will justify that carry on, esp. those who profit from it.

If the mayor of Cork did come out and speak to the national media about the killing less than 12 hours after it happened, then I imagine it would be a bigger story. The mayor of a city giving direct quotes on a killing does make a story more high profile. That's not a knock on the mayor either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Yep, all in our head.

Hope you were watching RTE News just now, they covered a murder in Cork :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Odd. Personally I find it odd how much shockingly violent crime in Limerick goes unreported.
    Like that time when a woman was pulled out of her car on William St and beaten with chains by a group of men in broad daylight. Didn't seem to make it into the papers at all.

My theory is that they dont like letting on how ineffective the guards are in general at dealing with serious violent offenders in Limerick. If middle class people aren't involved then it didnt really happen. But a murder - well they have to investigate a murder really - so at least that makes the papers.

When do murders not make the papers in Ireland anyway :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Odd. Personally I find it odd how much shockingly violent crime in Limerick goes unreported.
    Like that time when a woman was pulled out of her car on William St and beaten with chains by a group of men in broad daylight. Didn't seem to make it into the papers at all.

My theory is that they dont like letting on how ineffective the guards are in general at dealing with serious violent offenders in Limerick. If middle class people aren't involved then it didnt really happen. But a murder - well they have to investigate a murder really - so at least that makes the papers.

When do murders not make the papers in Ireland anyway :confused:

I think you may be referring to the incident where a man attacked a woman with a chain in a shop on William St. If so that was widely reported

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

ronanc15 wrote: »
    I think you may be referring to the incident where a man attacked a woman with a chain in a shop on William St. If so that was widely reported
    No I mean an incident where several men pulled a woman from a car and beat her with chains on William St. It was over a year ago - maybe two years ago or so.

I guess chains are the weapon of choice if you need to beat a woman before getting the bus.

Advertisement