Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to plant garlic?

Options
  • 18-01-2012 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi,

I am completely new to gardening, so hopefully my question will not seem too ridiculous...

I have read that garlic needs a cold spell under ground and should be planted before 21st December. As we have not had any frost yet (and some is seemingly due soon) I am wondering if it is still ok to plant garlic?

Thank you
    G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I'm new to veg growing myself but I read only this week that there is still time. Indeed I read a blog where a guy planted it in March and they split just fine. But asap would be best I guess. If you can get it Cristo is supposed to be a good one for planting late apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭No.125

earliset time to plant would be november. latest would be march. best time to plant is around december!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Thanks guys,

Garlic is in now.

G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I planted mine in October. Coming up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I planted some ten days ago and its alredy coming thru. Will it split ? Time will tell but I expect it will as Ive planted it late before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

My local gardening center are getting in their onion sets and GARLIC sets this week. I was surprised to hear about the Garlic sets,
    but I dont think they would be getting them in if it was too late to plant out. They are coming out of Dublin.

heres a tip, dont pack the earth in at the bottom of the hole, let the tip of the garlic stick out top and then cover the top of the hole with soil but leave a space around the bottom sides so the garlic can expand into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Yes, my garden centre was also still expecting them when I tried.

I went to the local organic shop and bought a few bulbs there - hopefully this will work

Advertisement