Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mitt Romney meets dying medical marijuana patient

• 18-01-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭

I realise this isn't US Politics, but I think the users of After Hours will appreciate this particular thread... Pardon me if it has been discussed before and lock it if you wish to do so, mods.

Ones' opinions on medical marijuana don't matter here in my opinion; what done Romney resembles the nature of a total scumbag, I hope he loses the race for the presidency for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Losing the presidential nomination because of a paralysed stoner would be a new record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I heard he speaks French.

By way of inductive reasoning, he is a homosexual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

He's a mormon, the very baptist right would sooner vote Obama than a "Later day saint"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't think it really matters who becomes US President. They're little more than a figurehead to front the country these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

He's a republican right?

I'd say he's probably won a raft of new supporters right there.

After all, drugs are against God's plan for all of us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Sindri wrote: »

Wow. As long as he doesn't look French though its probably alright, he's not a closet commie

TBF the argument for medical marijuana took a turn after pharmaceutical companies decided to create inhalers which only use CBD and have no THC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Why does it resemble the nature of a scumbag?

Clearly he is trying to protect his anti drug vote, standard operating procedure

Having said that, if he was a scumbag then its one more box ticked on the way to becoming president of the USA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Mercurius

TBF the argument for medical marijuana took a turn after pharmaceutical companies decided to create inhalers which only use CBD and have no THC.

And TBF they're said to be not as effective, and there have been several deaths of people using them, not to mention nasty side-effects.

Any way he is a a but of a cunt. Google his changing policy stances from the start of his political career to now and you will be amazed.

If it got him elected he'd be in favour of legalising it.

• Advertisement

I don't think it really matters who becomes US President. They're little more than a figurehead to front the country these days.

Its been like that since kennedys time at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I voted for Kodos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Pure genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

its a campaign won on promises and faith, but then they can do very little once in office. its ridiculous how much of US politics revolves around religion, as if god has a hand in the presidential race ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

kryogen wrote: »
    Why does it resemble the nature of a scumbag?

Clearly he is trying to protect his anti drug vote, standard operating procedure

Having said that, if he was a scumbag then its one more box ticked on the way to becoming president of the USA

Tbh, he handled that very badly, and showed **** all compassion or understanding, he should of at least defended his stance and was abrupt... not very president like ( or maybe it is...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

He really looks like Curtis Stigers.

He's had a more profound effect on some peoples lives

Mercurius wrote: »
    And TBF there said to be not as effective, and there have been several deaths of people using them, not to mention nasty side-effects.

I know but traction for legalising medical marijuana in other states will and has slowed because of this. I'm not saying I agree with it it's just an observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

He's a mormon, the very baptist right would sooner vote Obama than a "Later day saint"

That's not fair. I hear he is very intelligent and by no means a moron.

@WoollyRedHat Fuck all compassion is what you need to be a Republican Presidential Nominee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

@WoollyRedHat Fuck all compassion is what you need to be a Republican Presidential Nominee.

Indeed, most of them are different levels of sycophants.

Edit: I really think Newt Gingrich is vile though.

I voted for Kodos

Abortions for all......miniature American flags for some.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Any way he is a a but of a cunt. Google his changing policy stances from the start of his political career to now and you will be amazed.

If it got him elected he'd be in favour of legalising it.

Yep, I'd say he definitely inhaled in college.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He wears sacred underwear. If Obama can't beat him, we're f*cked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

any chance of a summery?

no youtube at work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Nailz wrote: »
    I realise this isn't US Politics, but I think the users of After Hours will appreciate this particular thread... Pardon me if it has been discussed before and lock it if you wish to do so, mods.

Ones' opinions on medical marijuana don't matter here in my opinion; what done Romney resembles the nature of a total scumbag, I hope he loses the race for the presidency for it.

Mittens would have a hard time beating eggs, let alone a sitting president, I don't think there's much to worry about.

But the primaries are a cornucopia of comedy gold and political dickery, which makes for entertaining viewing, if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

danniemcq wrote: »
    any chance of a summery?

no youtube at work

The summary would be that Mitt Romney is a heartless w*nker,even when playing to his political base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭therewillbe

American`s,So this or that. As for this would be president,I dont think he has a chance. Mormans still hold a fear factor.Off topic just reading "The Rogue" about Palin,Cracking read.

krudler wrote: »
    its a campaign won on promises and faith, but then they can do very little once in office. its ridiculous how much of US politics revolves around religion, as if god has a hand in the presidential race ffs.

one of Obamas budgets took 14 months to be passed by Congress.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Very badly handled. If he's not capable of being put on the spot, it doesn't say much for his presidential ambitions. Any candidate should have a set of stock answers for contentious positions. In this case, something like: "Do I think people who break the law should be arrested? Yes I do" would be a perfectly reasonable answer that puts the onus back on the asker

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Compassion of a brick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Yeah, he comes across as a prick....but at least he answered the question honestly and didn't try pander to the guy for votes.

Although the cynic in Romney (and me) probably reckons he'll be dead before the election so there's no need for vote-chasing:(

mikom wrote: »
    Compassion of a brick.

Would you stop campaigning for him already.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

YOU'RE JUST GOING TO IGNORE A PERSON IN A WHEELCHAIR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Tbh, he handled that very badly, and showed **** all compassion or understanding, he should of at least defended his stance and was abrupt... not very president like ( or maybe it is...)
    This is exactly my opinion of it.

The sheer lack of caring which he exhibited to the unfortunate bloke, all just in order protect his position, and blanking him after giving his bull**** retort, is an awful set of priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Really deplorable way to treat anyone, more so a dying person. The reporter tried hard to get an answer in fairness to him.

I wonder if it were one of his kids in that position would he have his face set so against it?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

Im normally 100% against the Republicans and their beilfs, goals, but I got to say if I was living in the USA I might vote for Ron Paul, I like alot of his ideas such as pulling the USA off the world stage in terms of the military. A few of his campaign adverts have caught my attention aswell:

But I dont think the Republicans supporters will vote for him and if they do I would be surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Yeah, he comes across as a prick....but at least he answered the question honestly and didn't try pander to the guy for votes.

Although the cynic in Romney (and me) probably reckons he'll be dead before the election so there's no need for vote-chasing:(

no - he was pandering for votes, but just not that guys vote. He was pandering for votes when he refused to clearly state his position - that he would have people like the guy in the wheelchair arrested for using MM.

What he *should* have done was to say "I'm really sorry for the situation you find yourself in, but I have to make a call on this, and the call I would make is that I don't agree with MM [for these reasons], so I would make it illegal. A consequence of that call is that you would be arrested if you used it".

But he didn't say that because he knew it would make him look bad, even though that's what he would do.

If you believe in something, then that's grand - but state it, and defend it. Don't just ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That's some good politicking there I say. Talk to the person who doesn't matter a sh*t to you and then walk away smiling.

Good politicking Mitt.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That's some good politicking there I say. Talk to the person who doesn't matter a sh*t to you and then walk away smiling.

Good politicking Mitt.

I don't know - I could see that it will go down well with religious nuts republicans.

Of course if it were Ireland the politician would have first patronised the poor lad, then promised him the world, noone would have believed him including the lad in the wheel chair, but then since he buys them all pints, they'll vote for him anyhow and his picture will be in the paper having a pint with the wheelchair fellow:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Im normally 100% against the Republicans and their beilfs, goals, but I got to say if I was living in the USA I might vote for Ron Paul, I like alot of his ideas such as pulling the USA off the world stage in terms of the military. A few of his campaign adverts have caught my attention aswell:

But I dont think the Republicans supporters will vote for him and if they do I would be surprised.

If his 'surge' had come at a better time, he'd have a chance of real influence at the convention. Unfortunately for him, the media started taking him seriously 2-3 weeks before Iowa and dug up the racist nonsense. In that context, his second ad looks a little bit... ahem. But as a concept, it's bloody effective.

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Im normally 100% against the Republicans and their beilfs, goals, but I got to say if I was living in the USA I might vote for Ron Paul, I like alot of his ideas such as pulling the USA off the world stage in terms of the military. A few of his campaign adverts have caught my attention aswel

No Ron Paul will not get the nomination but he knows what he is doing,
    ie planting the seeds of libertarianism for the future.

in simple terms it means as little government as possible in Society.
    my issue with it is that as far as i can see,it is also based on 'survival of the fittest'.
    He realises that the US is doomed if it does not change some of its ways and wants his Country to let things happen in other Countries that do not impact the States without any interference by its military.

His main hope is that his country will find alternative energy sources so it can get off the world stage.

Permabear is the main proponent of Libertarianism on boards,whilst nesf amongst others would like to reign it in.
    their posts are always entertaining and informative in the politics forum(s)

Permabear has linked this for those who want to know more about Libertarianism here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75294460&postcount=1

also under politics the left and right posters on the US politics thread with lots of opposite but easy to understand jibes are also very clued in and educational.
    it is all part of the 'fun' of politics. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement