Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hiking boots which ones?

Options
  • 18-01-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I want to do some walking/hiking. just general 5/6 mile off road stuff.Perhaps longer one day if I can work up to it but the years are catching up with my feet now:D.
    Anyway I have done the research here only to find there are 50,000 boots to choose from. I am overwhelmed and bamboozled with all the info.:confused:
    I am getting good socks today hopefully.

So what I do know is I want a mid weight/class B boot with good ankle support etc. Price unfortunately 'is' a consideration. I' m getting nervous as it trips past the €100 odd mark:D.

To try and simplify it now I would appreciate it if you could fire at me some options (actual boots please). Either gortex or leather is ok.

Thank you for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The great outdoors are currently selling this boot for about 70 euros -

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?cPath=232_31_111&products_id=190133&osCsid=1f1109aa30fd80b1c5e4d4734a4654bf

I have not walked in HI-Tec's since 1997 so I have no idea how good the brand or the boot is. However I am tempted as my current meindl's are finally giving up the ghost after four good years...

I'd be interested also to see what other people recommend here in the sub 100 euro category.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

what about Doc martin

http://www.dmusastore.com/p-3758-holt.aspx

something like this any cheap place in town fo getting docs?

I would look at the army surplus shops too

remember it is the stiffness of the sole that provides the support not the sides of the boot

there might still be sales on in some of the shops greatoutdoors are supposed to be having a sale tomorrow.

the good names are Brasher and meindel if you have wide feet

scarpa if you have narrow feet

there was another make which I cannot remember.

dogmatix wrote: »
    The great outdoors are currently selling this boot for about 70 euros -

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?cPath=232_31_111&products_id=190133&osCsid=1f1109aa30fd80b1c5e4d4734a4654bf

I have not walked in HI-Tec's since 1997 so I have no idea how good the brand or the boot is. However I am tempted...

Nooooooooo.

My first pair. Burst after one hike. They were terrible.

This is €20 over the budget, but good reputation and 29% off (not sure why they didn't just round it up to 30% off!). Very specific sizes left though.

http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6791

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

^^

very good for wide feet have a pair they are very comfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Road Bandit

Brasher are no longer a good name in boots.
    Scarpa or Meindel pretty good.
    Ensure you get a vibram sole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Brasher are no longer a good name in boots.
    Scarpa or Meindel pretty good.
    Ensure you get a vibram sole

Yeah, I'm very pleased with Meindel. Had columbia before that, didn't last very long I'm afraid.

Would avoid doc martin as those soles can be slippy.

Depends what you mean by off-road - if you mean not on tarmac, but still on some sort of gravel path or forestry track or marked way, then you should be able to find a good boot for ~ 100. You shouldn't get too stiff a boot for this as it will be hard to walk in. A class B boot should be more than enough. If you are going away from any sort of path, up a mountain or such then you'll need a very sturdy boot.

From personal experience, dry feet are the most important thing when on a walk, so I'd pay as much as possible for waterproofing.

Don't forget to wear whatever socks you would wear walking when trying them on, and if you can - climb a stairs/few steps in the shop - most shops have a thing about a foot or 2 high you can walk up to get a feel for them. Also break them in about hte house for a few days before you go for a walk. When you try on boots, you should be able to wiggle your toes, but when you walk, your heel shouldn't move up or down at all, you shouldn't feel your foot move in the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ordinary star

Try TK Maxx, not the obvious place but they do have good brands for much less than you'd pay else where.

I got Karrimor leather hiking boots in TK Maxx last year for €80 and i absolutely adore them. Walked for a week in them during the summer on all terrain and they were beautiful

I know a few others that got brilliant boots in TK Maxx aswel!

*they even had vibram soles for that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Hi all.
    I want to do some walking/hiking. just general 5/6 mile off road stuff.Perhaps longer one day if I can work up to it but the years are catching up with my feet now:D.
    Anyway I have done the research here only to find there are 50,000 boots to choose from. I am overwhelmed and bamboozled with all the info.:confused:
    I am getting good socks today hopefully.

So what I do know is I want a mid weight/class B boot with good ankle support etc. Price unfortunately 'is' a consideration. I' m getting nervous as it trips past the €100 odd mark:D.

To try and simplify it now I would appreciate it if you could fire at me some options (actual boots please). Either gortex or leather is ok.

Thank you for reading.

For under a €100 you are severely limiting the type of boots you can look at. You would be hard pushed finding a boot of leather or goretex for under €150.

For your budget I would suggest trying Millets in Blanchardstown SC or similar budget outdoor shops.

Where are you based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Meindel = king for me

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭burly

Bought my first pair of Meindl Burma's 3 years ago, for about €170 online.

Best €160 iver ever spent.

Comfortable, supportive, waterproof, ankle support, vibram sole etc.

Ive used this at least every 2nd weekend in Ireland for teh past 3 years, and brought them with me on hiking holidays in the USA, Alaska and Canada.

Fantastic boots.

My advice to you would beif you can stretch ypur budget to 170-180, you will get boots that will last you a long long time, its worth the investment in the long run. Dont forget, hiking is addictive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ordinary star

burly wrote: »

Dont forget, hiking is addictive!

too true! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

sparrowcar wrote: »
    For under a €100 you are severely limiting the type of boots you can look at. You would be hard pushed finding a boot of leather or goretex for under €150.

For your budget I would suggest trying Millets in Blanchardstown SC or similar budget outdoor shops.

Where are you based?

As of yesterday afternoon the Great Outdoors has Columbia, Northface and Meindl in their sale for around the €100 mark. It was very busy so I'd imagine, excuse the phrase, they're walking out the door. I picked up a pair of Northface for €99, reduced from €150. As usual sizes are limited, I've only a small foot and the smallest Meindl I saw were an 8 and were a little too big for me in the toe box.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    As of yesterday afternoon the Great Outdoors has Columbia, Northface and Meindl in their sale for around the €100 mark. It was very busy so I'd imagine, excuse the phrase, they're walking out the door. I picked up a pair of Northface for €99, reduced from €150. As usual sizes are limited, I've only a small foot and the smallest Meindl I saw were an 8 and were a little too big for me in the toe box.

Ok obviously sales are the exception :rolleyes:

I wasn't been smart, simply pointing out, for the OPs information, that there are now shoes in the recommended range on what you should spend in order to get a good pair, in his price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Road_Bandit above mentions that Brasher are no longer a good name in boots - is that so? Because those Brasher Hillmaster's look very comfy, and i'd be real tempted.

Also whats the opinion regarding leather uppers vr's non-leather. Would leather + goretex be more waterproof?

I'm thinking an all-leather upper boot would be easier to clean the muck off, although polishing/maintenance might be heavier.

I know you weren't been smart :)

You know yourself though finding a decent boot in sale is hard but then actually finding your size is even harder.

Ah, the oul smiley threw me off. But yeah, I made a point in getting there early on the first day, and even at that my choice was limited and the ones I've been keeping an eye on since December weren't discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Could be a song in there somewhere:D.

Well thanks for the help everyone. I've got a pair.

Visited 15 shops between from Cork city through the south east to Waterfod over 3 days. (not walking you understand;)).
    Fancied the Brasher hillmaster GTX. On the 3rd day couldn't find any so anyway ended up buying Regatta £130. they've isotex...hope thats the same as Gortex lining. here they are.

189998.jpg

189999.jpg

well they got that Vibram sole so hopefully should be ok.

Thanks again. It was appreciated.
    Now if I could just find some energy for the weekend:pac:

Didn't even know they made boots!

Don't want to spoil them, but not a fan of Regatta clothes anyway. And I like to get my gear cheap, I am no fan of the people who get fully kitted in Berghaus to spend a few hours on a few hills. But haven't heard great reviews. Before you go thrashing them, check online for reviews anyway. I just googled one there for a Regatta Treadmaster which seems generally positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I once bought a cheap pair of boots. Never again.

Now I go for Meindl.

• Advertisement

I once bought a cheap pair of boots. Never again.

Now I go for Meindl.

Yeah. Was blessed, last boots were Meindl, but got them second hand, friend of a friend stuff, €50! They were great, just got newer Meindl recently in a Jackson Sports sale. Did go much lighter alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

On your budget you could look at columbia boots but they tend to be very warm and the liner stinks after a few hours wear. I would stay away from regatta, gelert,hi-tec etc, go for an entry level boot from a good manufacturer. If you add 20 quid to your budget you could consider berghaus explorers or am entry level meindl or scarpa. I've said it hundreds of times while working in outdoor shops or during many years mountain rescue service, spend the most on your boots and your rucksack, as you can put on dry clothes if your rain gear leaks but if you fcuk up your back or your feet you will suffer for the rest of your days.
    Just my 2c.
    Cheers, LR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 chinomel

MY last boots were brasher superlights which even after careful sizing gave me trouble. Problems with blisters from day one which eventually dissapeared only to return a year later. In my opinion after having two pairs of Brashers they are overrated and expensive.
    Bought a pair of Karrimore Event in Millets which are brilliant. My first walk in them was the 26 miles of the Dublin mountain way without the slightest problem. ( I put the runners in the backpack just in case ). My second outing was the Art ONeill all 36 miles once again perfectly comfortable and bone dry.
    They had them for sale before Christmas for about E90.
    Chinomel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 msihl

Hi!
    If you are comfortable with ordering online from Germany, you should take a look at this:
    http://www.outlet.hive-outdoor.com/outlet-produkte/schuhe/herrenschuhe.html
    Shipping to Ireland is €15 and takes one week. I ordered a pair of Kayland Apex, they are super solid, comfortable hiking/mountaineering boots that you can even use with crampons. The price is unbeatable too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

Well its me again. I done a only a few short walks with these but they seem very much ok. No serious test yet but the signs are good.

The lacing is a bit fiddly where they cross and go through that loop in the centre on the tongue but it does get easier. Perhaps its just me 'The Novice':).
    Any way thanks again for comments. I'm signing off the thread but no doubt this novice will have more questions at another time and thread when I run into 'trouble on the trail'......did you see that, 'Trouble on the Trail' ...there's a book and film in that title what!.:D

Bye for now.

Advertisement