Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using old case for new build

Options
  • 18-01-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am considering building a pc as a side project. I have a second gen i3 laptop so I'm in no immediate rush to do it. Considering the components I need etc. Hoping to build a very good desktop with at least a 3ghz CPU probably 2nd gen i5 or a high end AMD, 8gb RAM, and a high end graphics card which should be capable of running the latest games (Skyrim perfect example).

With this in mind, I am wondering if the case from my old pc would be sufficient. It's a Philips iQon pc (I know... :rolleyes: )

The machine itself is a fossil but will make use of whatever parts I can which will probably be just the case! What do you guys think? I know I'm going to have to consider cooling and room for the parts I'll need...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd get a new one, to be honest. Even the most basic €30 case will be better than the one you have (I couldn't find specs on it, just going from pictures, but it seems to be one of those that only has 1-2 fan mounts.)

Best post the specs of the rest of the computer. I'm thinking particularly of your DVD drive and hard drive here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The specs are:

80gb Hard Drive (not sure of speed but I'm sure it's horribly slow. Was going to go for solid state in my build anyway just for applications etc and use an external for storage), 256mb RAM, AMD Sempron 2800+ CPU, Philips CR-RW drive and Philips DVD drive.

Nothing in the machine is salvageable realistically, especially for what I want to build! It was the case that I was interested in but as you said it probably won't be sufficient for fan mounts etc. I'm looking for money saving options at every point but not going to sacrifice performance quality for the sake of a few euro

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yeah, fair enough, not really useable. Anyway, fill this out, and we'll help you build a dream machine. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm using the same case for my current PC (i5 750 8GB RAM, dual SSD, HD 6870 gfx etc.) as I had for an old P4 3Ghz with 1gb RAM at least 7 (if not 8) years ago and it was 2nd hand when i got it. :D

that said it's an Antec Sonata (v2 afaik) , so it was a great case at the time and still holds up well now, although it's a little rough around the edges at this stage. it does the job though, so i'm happy.

Advertisement