Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's not all doom and gloom

Options
  • 18-01-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭

There's jobs coming to Galway!

Rhatigans have won the contract to continue the work in NUI Galway that stopped when cordil went bust as well as building two new buildings. Up to 400 construction jobs.

Up to 300 jobs to be created by

OpenJaw technologies (online retail tech) will be creating jobs in Galway & Dublin - up to 45 tech jobs.

Zenimax Online Studios got pp to convert the laundries in Rahoon. 200 tech jobs & some construction jobs while the building is being converted.

Tobin Consulting will be working with eirgrid on the "Grid West" project with "over 100 new positions in engineering, environmental, planning and communications services".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

You obviously haven't read the Occupy thread. We're doomed... doomed!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

It's a wednesday in the depths of january, what is there not to be gloomy about?

I'm surprised that a local company managed to win that university construction tender. Surely a Turkish firm could underbid it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Where Boogaloo Burger was there's a new place opening. I presume it's some kind of food joint, the name eludes me but it uses the "Herp & Derp" naming convention of over familiarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

snubbleste wrote: »
    It's a wednesday in the depths of january, what is there not to be gloomy about?
    I'm not aiming too high, we're a step closer to the weekend than we were yesterday and that's enough for me :).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

newkie wrote: »
    You obviously haven't read the Occupy thread. We're doomed... doomed!

Take a look in the Irish Economy forum - you're not allowed to be anything but gloomy:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    Take a look in the Irish Economy forum - you're not allowed to be anything but gloomy:rolleyes:
    Pay a visit here to balance it out.

Malice wrote: »
    I'm not aiming too high, we're a step closer to the weekend than we were yesterday and that's enough for me :).

Especially for the o.g. members & Irish Economy posters:

That means we're also a day closer to next Monday:(

God I hate myself right now, I need a pint or ten.

Anto you should watch this to cheer yourself up:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

All I see is 22 grown men chasing a little ball around a turkish field :confused:

snubbleste wrote: »
    All I see is 22 grown men chasing a little ball around a turkish field :confused:

Private joke.

Malice & myself were among several hundred people who watched said match in establishment formerly known as the living room.

Hamman passes the ball to Smicer - a for f**k sake don't sho.... GOAL!!!!

Really brightened up my day, thanks mal.

Now see if you can find some Galway hurling or football all ireland highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Ahhhhh remembering the sheer magic of '98 Galway Football .....
    Will we ever see it again ........

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

antoobrien wrote: »
    There's jobs coming to Galway!

Rhatigans have won the contract to continue the work in NUI Galway that stopped when cordil went bust as well as building two new buildings. Up to 400 construction jobs.

Up to 300 jobs to be created by

OpenJaw technologies (online retail tech) will be creating jobs in Galway & Dublin - up to 45 tech jobs.

Zenimax Online Studios got pp to convert the laundries in Rahoon. 200 tech jobs & some construction jobs while the building is being converted.

Tobin Consulting will be working with eirgrid on the "Grid West" project with "over 100 new positions in engineering, environmental, planning and communications services".
    That is good news beyond the much needed jobs for the fact that it takes the derelict look off the abandoned building sites on the campus. Gives a buzz back to the city and that's bound to have a knock on effect. Thanks for the good news story :)

Aviva to create 200 jobs in Galway.

Cisco, SAP &HP to create over 400 new jobs between them, with expected knock ons for local business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

did aviva not let go a few hundred staff earlier this year (correct me if I am wrong, please), and if so, are these not just being re-instated. Is it good PR or are there really "new" jobs coming - just asking, don't bite my head off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

did aviva not let go a few hundred staff earlier this year (correct me if I am wrong, please), and if so, are these not just being re-instated. Is it good PR or are there really "new" jobs coming - just asking, don't bite my head off.

I think Galway escaped any cuts, but overall Aviva are still cutting number nationally, the Galway workforce will increase though so good news for Galway, not so good for the rest of the country.

It seems that they'll be new jobs:
    Separately, it is also planning to create 220 new posts in Galway in claims insurance and direct sales. Recruitment for these posts will begin in the summer.

I think they're bringing back functions that were moved offshore (bangalore) in a previous effort to cut costs, which from talking to a few people in aviva has been a bit of a disaster for them from a customer service front (apparently lots of complaints about them being slow, not understanding what's being said etc).
    Predalien wrote: »
    I think Galway escaped any cuts, but overall Aviva are still cutting number nationally, the Galway workforce will increase though so good news for Galway, not so good for the rest of the country.

I don't think the cuts have actually started yet, so there will probably be cuts in certain back office/administration tasks being carried out in Galway. There are 540 jobs total to go, down from 750 - so it's certainly not all bad. 6 weeks pay per year (capped at 2.5 years) & €8k training allowance isn't bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is it good PR or are there really "new" jobs coming - just asking, don't bite my head off.

It's a fair question: I understand that many of the "new jobs" announcements that we see are acutally just "contractors/temps already on site who were only funded until <<date>> have been extended for another how-ever-long", or best case temps being made permanent.

Advertisement