Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you identify this?

Options
  • 18-01-2012 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi all:

I've never come across this sort of species washed up on the beach before. Can anyone identify what fish it is? Those teeth look a bit fierce, not the sort of species we have in Atlantic waters?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭OhYesItIs

Teeth or what!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Good man Acidflash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

before I even seen the images i thought it may be a trigger fish! they have massive teeth and dont really look like many other fish off our coast except maybe a wrasse

before I even seen the images i thought it may be a trigger fish! they have massive teeth and dont really look like many other fish off our coast except maybe a wrasse

Cheers Frank...I thought "could it be a wrasse" but them teeth were way too much. For biting coral in their native tropical reefs...

Not much coral in Sligo bay, obviously making their way up from the south coast where thet first made an appearance by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Brian.D

There's been plenty of Trigger fish turning up around Sligo over the past ten years or so, you"ll often see the them washed up after rough seas, stormy weather & especially if there's any drop in the sea temp.

Brian.D wrote: »
    There's been plenty of Trigger fish turning up around Sligo over the past ten years or so, you"ll often see the them washed up after rough seas, stormy weather & especially if there's any drop in the sea temp.
    `

Thanks Brian, interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allquestions

Brian.D wrote: »

I've seen quite a few washed up on the beaches in Donegal too. Mostly in South and West Donegal. But of craic for any wee ones though, as it looks so strange! :eek:

Advertisement