Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not paying hospital bills? Legal advice?

Options
  • 18-01-2012 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I was in A+E a few nights ago after getting knocked off my bike. I received an invoice from the Mater Hospital for 350 Euros. Allegedly this is for 7 X-Rays.

I scrape to get by. I work hard and pay taxes every month, and thus I morally refuse to pay for this. If our taxes aren't used, at least in part, to help us when we are ill or in an emergency situation, then what are they used for?

Moral points of view aside, I'm wondering what happens when you don't pay a hospital bill. Do they really follow it down and try to get the money off you? Do they actually persevere and bring you to court?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Stripey Cat

I am not an expert, so don't pay too much attention to what I say, but I understand the Mater will bill automatically for anything involving a road accident, because they assume the costs will be met by an insurance claim.

Were you asked in the hospital if your injury was caused in a road traffic accident?

Hope you're okay by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

jaybro wrote: »
    Moral points of view aside, I'm wondering what happens when you don't pay a hospital bill. Do they really follow it down and try to get the money off you? Do they actually persevere and bring you to court?

They will send multiple invoices, and if unpaid will eventually bring court action.

Unfortunately, health care in Ireland certainly isn't free. :(

Hopefully you're alright, health wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jaybro

Yeah, got away with a fractured hip (not serious tough) and a cracked rib. But yes, I'm ok, thanks!

Yes, they did know that it was a road traffic accident.

Yeah, was just wondering whether they actually do go ahead until you pay it and whether they actually get debt collectors on the case and finally bring you to court. Just wondering since there must be so many cases like mine and they must have heaps of paperwork to get through!

well, I suppose I'll try and dodge it as long as possible. Planning on emigrating in November, so if I can get by until then I'm ok!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If it's a road traffic accident then why don't you claim off the other driver's insurance? Or maybe your own insurance covers personal injury?

Fractured hip in a road traffic accident would usually result in compensation. Medical bills will be included. Even if you were liable, I doubt you were one hundred per cent liable.

• Advertisement

well, compensation if I was in the right. If I was in the wrong however I don't think I'll be getting any. Correct? That's all to be determined...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I was in A+E a few nights ago after getting knocked off my bike. I received an invoice from the Mater Hospital for 350 Euros. Allegedly this is for 7 X-Rays.

I scrape to get by. I work hard and pay taxes every month, and thus I morally refuse to pay for this. If our taxes aren't used, at least in part, to help us when we are ill or in an emergency situation, then what are they used for?

Thanks.

I used to work in the patient accounts department of a hospital, and outstanding bills were followed up and brought to court as a last resort. That was many years ago, but with hospitals being strapped for cash these days, I can't see that stance changing.

Normally, the charge for attending the emergency department is €100 overall, but as the others have said, the hospital has billed higher because it's an RTA and they assume it will be included with any claims. If there isn't going to be a claim, give them a call to see if they'll readjust the bill to the standard fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I had forgotten to pay the €100 standard fee and had a debt collector contact me about a month after I had been seen.

Just so you're aware.

well, compensation if I was in the right. If I was in the wrong however I don't think I'll be getting any. Correct? That's all to be determined...

That's the way it's supposed to work, but in reality, not so much...

If I was you I'd get in touch with a good lawyer, as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

What do you mean allegedly 7 xrays? Did you not get them?

• Advertisement

Oh no, i got them done there and then, but I don't have the physical X-rays. Also, they messed up a few times on them and had to do them again, so no idea whether they are billing me for successful ones or not...

But I genuinely intend on not paying this extortionate amt of money for a "service" which should be free of charge. Even in more regressive countries like Spain and Italy, if you get carted into A+E, you don't have to pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So why don't you live in Spain or Italy then?

You were happy enough to use the 'service' weren't you? If you have concerns over what you were charged for then you should call them and address those concerns and see if what is owed can be amended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yeah, got away with a fractured hip (not serious tough) and a cracked rib.

Diagnosed by X-ray?

Even in more regressive countries like Spain and Italy,

Regressive in what way? Culturally? Financially?

Did you hit your head in that crash?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Oh no, i got them done there and then, but I don't have the physical X-rays. Also, they messed up a few times on them and had to do them again, so no idea whether they are billing me for successful ones or not...

But I genuinely intend on not paying this extortionate amt of money for a "service" which should be free of charge. Even in more regressive countries like Spain and Italy, if you get carted into A+E, you don't have to pay.

But it's not free of charge. You know it isn't free here, but you continued to live here anyway.

If you don't have private health insurance, you have to think about the possibility of large hospital bills.

Is there any other service you don't think you should pay for as a matter of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Are you objecting to the €350 or the standard €100? Because it's been pointed out to you that you can put the €350 into any claim for compensation you may be making.

And if you're not making a claim for compensation, then the hospital may amend the bill to the standard rate if you ask them to.
    MarkR wrote: »
    But it's not free of charge. You know it isn't free here, but you continued to live here anyway.

If you don't have private health insurance, you have to think about the possibility of large hospital bills.

Is there any other service you don't think you should pay for as a matter of interest?

Off topic, but large hospital bills are usually only involved if a person choose to be admitted as a private patient. The public hospital system is almost free, with a daily charge of €75 per day up to a maximum of 10 days per 12 months. On the other hand, being a public patient usually means being on a longer waiting list for consultant visits and hospital admission.

And in A&E private health insurance makes no difference, with all patients being seen in order or priority. That's a standard charge of €100, with no charge in some cases (referred by GP, medical card holder, etc)

I grew up in Italy and lived in Spain. I meant regressive in terms of what the welfare state in Italy and Spain does for its citizens.

No, luckily I didn't hit my head!

MarkR wrote: »

I actually didn't know it wasn't free, luckily i have never had to use the hospital before this.

Yes, I think that healthcare should be totally free. And I think access to 3rd level education should be totally free also (yes, they say it is , but 2250 euro registration fee p/y is not free).

If you are unemployed, then the government should take care of you. If you work and pay taxes, the government should take care of you. What is the point in paying taxes and living in a "welfare state" if in times of vulnerability you are not looked after by those who dictate how you live your life, ie the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I actually didn't know it wasn't free, luckily i have never had to use the hospital before this.

Yes, I think that healthcare should be totally free. And I think access to 3rd level education should be totally free also (yes, they say it is , but 2250 euro registration fee p/y is not free).

If you are unemployed, then the government should take care of you. If you work and pay taxes, the government should take care of you. What is the point in paying taxes and living in a "welfare state" if in times of vulnerability you are not looked after by those who dictate how you live your life, ie the state.

I disagree that healthcare. If someone gets prostate cancer then they should have completely free healthcare. If someone tries to emulate Jackass and breaks a bone in the process then they should have to pay for their own medical treatment.

I scrape to get by. I work hard and pay taxes every month, and thus I morally refuse to pay for this.
    well, I suppose I'll try and dodge it as long as possible. Planning on emigrating in November, so if I can get by until then I'm ok!

Have to admire someone who can speak in terms of morality and simultaneously plan on evading his debt through immigration thus leaving those of us still here to pick up the tab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Another example of the Irish compo/it's everyones fault but mine culture.

Without knowing the facts of the case, I would surmise that the OP may be the one at fault for his "accident".

In which case, he should certainly be held responsible for costs incurred.

OP, like you, I pay exorbitant taxes. I don't see why I should have to pay for your mistakes.

Have to admire someone who can speak in terms of morality and simultaneously plan on evading his debt through immigration thus leaving those of us still here to pick up the tab.

Yes, it is morally wrong for the government to make low-earners pay for services like this.

No, you are both right, you shouldn't have to pay the tab, as you call it. You should get stop wasting time getting into petty squabbles online and get involved in social movements that will make our society and its public services better. Pressure the government into implementing a fair central progressive taxation system so that rich people pay taxes properly. If they did, there would be cash in abundance to cure everyone properly, free of charge. Look at Scandinavia. Jaysus, even Italy manages to take care of its citizens without asking for extortionate charges (in response to the last poster, "Why don't I live in Italy or Spain?" to which I reply "Why don't you mind your business).

Jaysus, pseudo-trolls are mad annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Perhaps Ireland should emulate the UK with a comprehensive medical care system free at the point of use. Might not be so attractive for many to increase income tax rates and reduce welfare benefits to UK levels to pay for it.

OP; unfortunately outpatient healthcare in Ireland is mostly not free. Would your own car insurance not cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Yes, it is morally wrong for the government to make low-earners pay for services like this.

No, you are both right, you shouldn't have to pay the tab, as you call it. You should get stop wasting time getting into petty squabbles online and get involved in social movements that will make our society and its public services better. Pressure the government into implementing a fair central progressive taxation system so that rich people pay taxes properly. If they did, there would be cash in abundance to cure everyone properly, free of charge. Look at Scandinavia. Jaysus, even Italy manages to take care of its citizens without asking for extortionate charges (in response to the last poster, "Why don't I live in Italy or Spain?" to which I reply "Why don't you mind your business).

Jaysus, pseudo-trolls are mad annoying.

Muppet cyclists who break every rule of the road are also annoying.

Especially when they won't pay t heir bills...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Just because you believe something should be free doesn't mean it is. I'd love for things to be free: vodka, cars, the internet.

They aren't; I pay for them. Pay your bills.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement