Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Heroditas wrote: »
    Gimme a break! It's the only thing I don't make from scratch! :D
    You can't please them all. While it's no substitute for the real thing it's a handy reserve to have. A little goes a long way. Supervalu has good quality ginger. You will definitely taste the difference if you make your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It's the one thing I always forget and then have to try and make in a panic.
    I made a massive meal for 6 a few months back - starters and three main courses. Used 2/3 of a jar of the stuff. It was a life-saver.
    I agree that there's no comparison with the freshly made stuff but sometimes needs must...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Recently I made your biryani using lamb instead. While I love lamb with all my heart, I much prefer your original recipe using chicken. But glad I tried anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Recently I made your biryani using lamb instead. While I love lamb with all my heart, I much prefer your original recipe using chicken. But glad I tried anyway.

yes you live and learn its good to try things and see how they work out. Most new recipes we try here, we never make again but we learn a lot by trying new things.

i have to admit i'm a sucker for forgetting the ginger/garlic paste or the tomato paste :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Thanks to all, especially Curry Addict, for the recipes and guidance, but I have some questions after making the curry base yesterday/last night.

For those who have used a slow cooker, how did you modify the recipe? I kept the liquid the same, and when cooking I had it on slow for over an hour but the onions had not even begun to get soft. I swapped it to high for 2 hours and the onions were pretty soft and could be blended. Have people used low or high for this stage?

Also, following the addition of water and blending, I got a nice thin soup consistency. I had the pot on low (electric, solid plate hob) for maybe an hour, with no evidence of separation. I turned it up a little, and the top of the pot was quite warm to the touch, and after another hour, still no separation. Does the separation and rising of oil normally take this long or did I mess up somewhere?

Thanks to all
    RN

• Advertisement

Thanks to all, especially Curry Addict, for the recipes and guidance, but I have some questions after making the curry base yesterday/last night.

For those who have used a slow cooker, how did you modify the recipe? I kept the liquid the same, and when cooking I had it on slow for over an hour but the onions had not even begun to get soft. I swapped it to high for 2 hours and the onions were pretty soft and could be blended. Have people used low or high for this stage?

Also, following the addition of water and blending, I got a nice thin soup consistency. I had the pot on low (electric, solid plate hob) for maybe an hour, with no evidence of separation. I turned it up a little, and the top of the pot was quite warm to the touch, and after another hour, still no separation. Does the separation and rising of oil normally take this long or did I mess up somewhere?

Thanks to all
    RN

i never used a slow cooker. All i can say that might help is when cooking the base in a large pot on a standard gas ring. I set the heat to the lowest it can go. The onions should be at the point where a sharp knife pushes through them like butter. For the oil separation stage, that takes about an hour. Throughout the cooking the lid is always on.
    Nowadays I use a pressure cooker for the first sage and then transfer it to a pot. That speeds things up a lot...

i never used a slow cooker. All i can say that might help is when cooking the base in a large pot on a standard gas ring. I set the heat to the lowest it can go. The onions should be at the point where a sharp knife pushes through them like butter. For the oil separation stage, that takes about an hour. Throughout the cooking the lid is always on.
    Nowadays I use a pressure cooker for the first sage and then transfer it to a pot. That speeds things up a lot...

Thanks Curry Addict. Maybe I had too many onions in the slow cooker for its size. I had planned on using an old solid electric hob plate but something came up and had to transfer to slow cooker as I wasn't going to be around for 2.5 hours. Hopefully moving to somewhere with gas hobs so will be able to follow exactly!

Good to know an hour is a good time for oil separation. I won't be tempted to take the lid off to check after 20 minutes next time.

Have made the Balti, delicious. Need to decide what to make next...

RN

Try a pressure cooker if you can its nice and fast and gives the best result...

the chilli masala is the one to try next if you like it fairly spicy. its my favorite now for a year :)

no biggie taking the lid off btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Pressure cookers FTW. A very overlooked piece of kitchen equipment. Great for making dal and chana masala in a hurry....which is me most of the time.

Try a pressure cooker if you can its nice and fast and gives the best result...

the chilli masala is the one to try next if you like it fairly spicy. its my favorite now for a year :)

no biggie taking the lid off btw.
    Shint0 wrote: »
    Pressure cookers FTW. A very overlooked piece of kitchen equipment. Great for making dal and chana masala in a hurry....which is me most of the time.

Will make sure I have everything for the CM, thanks Curry Addict.

Ill add one to the list of things for the new house. Now, how can I convince Lidl to keep a pressure cooker in stock, just for me, for after the move :D Did I miss a chana masala recipe in here somewhere? Usually do it on the stove top, but pressure cooker version would be nice, especially if I can get a pressure cooker with a timer.

• Advertisement

Will make sure I have everything for the CM, thanks Curry Addict.

Ill add one to the list of things for the new house. Now, how can I convince Lidl to keep a pressure cooker in stock, just for me, for after the move :D Did I miss a chana masala recipe in here somewhere? Usually do it on the stove top, but pressure cooker version would be nice, especially if I can get a pressure cooker with a timer.

i haven't explored chana masala yet. I am currently exploring the world of Dahls and enjoying that a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

This is the only Chana Masala recipe you'll ever need. I make it all the time and it's fantastic. Think I posted it here before.

looks great Bazmo thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

wow looks amazing. cant wait to see it online :)

i have tweaked my curry cooking technique recently and getting better results.
    I might make a new video soon to show.

the changes
    - making the base slightly thinner(like a broth)
    - after the spices are added... instead of 1 ladle of base i add 2 ladles. I boil it down until it changes from boilding to frying. when the moisture is boiled off all the oils are released. It starts to carmelize, let this go for about 2 minutes as this creates amazing flavor, it becomes clumpy and oily(add your chicken now). Then add the 3rd ladle of base and stir it in. This will bring the sauce back to perfect consistency. Add the coriander and server.

Sounds great, I must give it a go. I'm on an electric hob though so it means I need to cook my curries a lot longer to get the carmelisation going any bit at all.

On a side note, the website has been delayed for a few months. Long story short, the dickheads on my exam commission have decided we have to do our final exam in a dead technology (aspx for those that are interested), so I'll be busy learning that. :mad:

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Sounds great, I must give it a go. I'm on an electric hob though so it means I need to cook my curries a lot longer to get the carmelisation going any bit at all.

On a side note, the website has been delayed for a few months. Long story short, the dickheads on my exam commission have decided we have to do our final exam in a dead technology (aspx for those that are interested), so I'll be busy learning that. :mad:

You never know, you might rake in the millions when the Y2k+1 bug fears kick in.

Hope it goes well and looking forward to the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

BaZmO* wrote: »
    This is the only Chana Masala recipe you'll ever need. I make it all the time and it's fantastic. Think I posted it here before.

Cooked this, t'was lovely. Anybody got any Dal reciepe? Got some moong dal downstairs

RasTa wrote: »
    Cooked this, t'was lovely. Anybody got any Dal reciepe? Got some moong dal downstairs

here is a fantastic dhal recipe. It inspired my current dhal addiction...
    careful with the lemon juice at the end, add to taste or it can be a little too much.

Green moong lentil tadka

Ingredients:
    120 gr. Green moong lentils or mung beans
    6 cloves of garlic, peeled
    1 thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated
    2 bay leaves
    3 black cardamom pods, crushed
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    2 medium onions, sliced thinly
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tbsp ground coriander
    2 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
    2 green chillies, finely chopped
    ½ tsp garam masala
    1 tbsp butter
    Juice of ½ lemon
    Handful of coriander, chopped
    Method:
    Wash the lentils, soak for 20 minutes. Drain then tip into a pan with 1.2 litres of water.
    Crush 2 of the cloves of garlic and add them to the pan, along with the ginger, bay leaves, cardamom and 1.5 tsp salt. Bring the water to the boil, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes until the lentils are soft but still holding their shape. Take the pan off the heat but do not drain.
    Heat the oil in a large, heavy based pan and add the cumin seeds. When they start to crackle, crush the remaining cloves of garlic, add them to the pan and fry for 1-2 minutes until golden.
    Add the onions and cook on a high heat for 6-8 minutes until golden brown, then stir in the chilli powder and ground coriander. Cook for 3-5 minutes.
    Add the tomatoes and cook for a further 6-8 minutes.
    Pour the lentils and their cooking water into this mixture, bring to the boil and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
    Add the chillies and garam masala, simmer for 2 minutes.
    Stir in the butter and lemon juice, garnish with the coriander leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,571 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I have a chana dal recipe I'll lash up later. It's one of Sunil Ghai's recipes and is excellent!

Heroditas wrote: »
    I have a chana dal recipe I'll lash up later. It's one of Sunil Ghai's recipes and is excellent!

i would love to see that. I have been enjoying his tadka dhal for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Give me both of those recipes please. Just googled the name and Ananda is one of my favorite restaurants in Ireland

• Advertisement

I posted the Tarka Dhal recipe already in this tread. if you do a search you will find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh I can't search on my phone. Is there a recipe in the thread for a malai kofta? My absolute favourite dish!

Vegetable and potato kofta, not lamb. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭Banbha32

Hey fellow Curry lovers :)

Any knock out recipe in here for Lamb Bhuna? My personal favourite and would love to make a good one. I have seen one by Madhur Jaffrey but it uses Fenugreek seeds which whenever i use i always find makes my curries too bitter. Half afraid if i leave them out it will upset other balances as i tend to follow spice recipes to a tee to get that perfect tasty sauce as its meant to be :)

I have made many lovely recipes from this thread so hoping there is a Lamb Bhuna one out there ready for making :)

Many thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Banbha32 wrote: »
    Hey fellow Curry lovers :)

Any knock out recipe in here for Lamb Bhuna? My personal favourite and would love to make a good one. I have seen one by Madhur Jaffrey but it uses Fenugreek seeds which whenever i use i always find makes my curries too bitter. Half afraid if i leave them out it will upset other balances as i tend to follow spice recipes to a tee to get that perfect tasty sauce as its meant to be :)

I have made many lovely recipes from this thread so hoping there is a Lamb Bhuna one out there ready for making :)

Many thanks in advance!

I've made MJ's lamb bhuna many times and they're delicious, not at all bitter. Maybe halve the measurement or leave it out altogether if you're partial to fenugreek seeds? I doubt it'll effect the balance of the dish.
    Curry Addict has given a recipe for lamb bhuna in the early pages when I requested it, although I must admit I never got around making them. *shame*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I had a fabulous Hati Ayam curry for the first time the other day and any recipes online are vastly different to each other. Has anyone a definitive or favourite version?

Cheers

I have never tried this one from the Mao menu, it looks really tasty!
    i am guessing the basics of it are indonesian curry power, bamboe, coconut milk, crushed peanuts, chicken stock.

this curry is in a similar vein so worth a try -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056172200

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I have never tried this one from the Mao menu, it looks really tasty!
    i am guessing the basics of it are indonesian curry power, bamboe, coconut milk, crushed peanuts, chicken stock.

this curry is in a similar vein so worth a try -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056172200

The one I had was from Mi Asian Street Food in Wexford. Tiny place but fast getting a reputation for being the real deal. I need to know how to make my own or I may take up residence there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,915 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Hi all, I'm a first time poster in this thread.

Just wondering if anyone has a recipe for Ethiopian veg curry. I tried it for the first time a few days ago and it was delicious. Any help would be appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭robbe

Hi,

First time making the curries and I attempted the Balti and the Saag Aloo (well more of a 'bombay aloo' i.e. no spinach.

Must say that I was impressed and preferred the unadulterated curry sauce (the Balti has a tablespoon of Patak's paste) to the Balti sauce. Family happily ate the Balti and I think next time I will try the Vindaloo and perhaps the Korma - I still have half a gallon of the curry base to use and I have to say the aromas around the kitchen were fab - thanks for the recipes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 cookstabirb

Whispered wrote: »
    Oh I can't search on my phone. Is there a recipe in the thread for a malai kofta? My absolute favourite dish!

Vegetable and potato kofta, not lamb. :)
    Seconding this request. I just found this thread somewhere on Reddit and obsessively read all 52 pages! Tried 5-6 different malai kofta recipes with no luck. Curry Addict, looks like you're the one to turn to! Any vegetarian recipes that use your curry base?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

If I have everything bar the fenugreek and cardamom should I stilll give it a go?

If I have everything bar the fenugreek and cardamom should I stilll give it a go?

yes absolutely. you can simply leave them out and still get a great result. But do get them in the future as they are most definitely nice to have :)

Perfecto, these recipes look fantastic. My curry base has been simmering the last 30 mins, about to blend it up soon.

the ginger/garlic paste smelled divine. I'm gonna make a chicken madras. I used 5 1/2 onions instead of 7 as that was all I had.

Might make a bit of naan too, not sure yet.. i'll try post on here later to let you know how it went, thanks for this!!

Okay so, update:

Blended up the base, was shocked at how bright the colour was, the colour of a korma! so was kinda scared. then decided to do a small practice run for this evening, madras. the colour got dark after adding my curry masala, then at the end when i balanced lemon and salt it really started to taste good.

[URL="[url=https://postimg.org/image/erbv7ay2z/][img]"][/url][img][/img]

[URL="[url=https://postimg.org/image/ftm1puom3/][img]"][/url][img][/img]

How do i get my photos to come up in my post instead of people having to click?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Okay so, update:

Blended up the base, was shocked at how bright the colour was, the colour of a korma! so was kinda scared. then decided to do a small practice run for this evening, madras. the colour got dark after adding my curry masala, then at the end when i balanced lemon and salt it really started to taste good.

Now i cannot wait for later to feed everyone :-D Curry addict I LOVE YOU

[URL="[url=https://postimg.org/image/erbv7ay2z/][img]"][/url][img][/img]

[URL="[url=https://postimg.org/image/ftm1puom3/][img]"][/url][img][/img]

How do i get my photos to come up in my post instead of people having to click?

Wrap the link like this then the link (no gaps) Then
    erbv7ay2z
    ftm1puom3

• Advertisement

Okay so, update:
    Blended up the base, was shocked at how bright the colour was, the colour of a korma! so was kinda scared. then decided to do a small practice run for this evening, madras. the colour got dark after adding my curry masala, then at the end when i balanced lemon and salt it really started to taste good

yes the base should be a bright yellow/orangey colour. The ingredients should all be in proportion so if you put in less onions you need to put in proportionally less of the rest of the ingredients. When you cook the base in a curry it all gets darker as you found.

So its sounds like you are doing well ;)

I posted a video of the cooking method its worth a look!

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm a first time poster in this thread.

Just wondering if anyone has a recipe for Ethiopian veg curry. I tried it for the first time a few days ago and it was delicious. Any help would be appreciated :)

sorry i didn't respond earlier. Someone promised me an Ethiopian Curry recipe. i would love to try it. I'm told the ingredients are very ethnic and maybe not so available here. its a tricky one but hopefully someday ill get to try it.

Seconding this request. I just found this thread somewhere on Reddit and obsessively read all 52 pages! Tried 5-6 different malai kofta recipes with no luck. Curry Addict, looks like you're the one to turn to! Any vegetarian recipes that use your curry base?
    Thanks!

ok well if two people recommend something it must be good! I haven't encountered a malai kofta yet but i will now make it my business to check that out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I have posted in here a few times, but it has been a while.
    I enjoy the recipes and the varyng results but I haven't done a recipe here for a while . I am gonna return to some now as we head in to autumn.

I have a request if anyone here has tried them. I have two recipes that a small local place used to do years ago but have since closed down.

Mughlia Chicken
    Lamb Shahjahani

Anyone attempted them at any stage?

Versions are online but there will be suggestions from the group here on how to tie the ingredients in with CAs gravy and methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cookstabirb

Thanks!

ok well if two people recommend something it must be good! I haven't  encountered a malai kofta yet but i will now make it my business to check that out.
    It has a creamy curry base that requires a cashewnut paste, tomatoes, and dried fenugreek leaves. It also contains dumplings made of veggies. Waiting for you to dig up a recipe and share it with us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Just wondering where you buy all your spices CurryAddict ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You can get the spices in any Asian shop, they work out much cheaper than buying the small jars from Tesco, etc. Also the supermarkets don't carry some of the ingredients, things like fenugreek leaves are usually only found in the Asian shops. If you're in Dublin then Eurasia on the Fonhill Road near Liffey Valley shopping centre is a good bet for getting everything in one go. Lots of Asian shops on Parnell St too.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭savj2

Hi this is an outstanding thread and I'm a massive curry fan. The OP's restaurant style recipes are excellent.

Here is one recipe I use. Certainly not restaurant style but definitely very delicious and follows the north Indian style of ginger/garlic paste, browned onion and tomato to create the gravy.

My recipe for just general north Indian curry (Punjabi style perhaps)

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 chicken breasts cut into large pieces
    tablespoon of ginger garlic paste
    one black cardamon
    4 cloves
    1 bay leaf
    one grated red onion
    one chopped green pepper
    small piece of cinnamon stick
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon generic madras curry power
    1 teaspoon garam masala
    3 finger green chilies sliced lengthways
    half a cup of tomato passata
    tablespoon of fenugreek leaves
    some fresh coriander

method:
    (1) add oil to large frying pan or large saucepan and heat
    (2) add black cardamon, cinnamon and cloves and heat until you get aroma
    (3) add grated red onion. reduce heat to medium and stir continuously. keep some water handy in and add tiny amounts if onion starts to burn
    (4) once onion is brown add ginger/garlic paste and stir until the raw smell is gone. about 30- 40 seconds. Increase heat
    (3) add green chilies and spices and stir fast not letting spices stick. Add some water if necessary to de-glaze pan and it will create a gravy
    (4) Add tomato passata and stir for about 20 seconds
    (5) add chicken and peppers
    (6) stir on high heat for about 2 minutes
    (7) add a cup of water and cover saucepan, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes
    (8) Add fenugreek leaves and some more garam masala (about a tea spoon). Season with some salt. About 1 teaspoon
    (9) Simmer with lid off until most of the water is evaporated and you get a sauce of the consistency you like
    (10) add coriander leaves and stir for another minute.

Service with Naan or rice.

Only just made a 6 litre batch of curry base gravy a few days back and have had a few delicious madrases and jalfrezis since. I love this recipe and always come back to it, the only problem is I need a bigger freezer to store it all. But once made I batch cook the meat for freezing too and with that prepared in advance you can put together an amazing curry in less than 10 minutes.

Every time i have ordered one in a restaurant it has been very different place to place. i can cook a tradition beef rendang and it is totally delicious. Can you describe what "right" is?
    I am off on holiday in a couple of hours so ill post up the recipe and method next week. As i remember it takes a couple of hours to cook and the key thing is identifying when its is "ready" and that can take some experience. it also has a zillion calories in it btw.

CA if you've time could you post up your rendang recipe, I've been meaning to make this for a while and have a kg of beef shin in the freezer that needs shifting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Not to take away from the glorious work of CA throughout this thread but I thought this would be the best place to post Curry Addict's youtube doppelganger where he demonstrates each recipe and technique quiet well.

Here he demo's the basic principles of making a basic curry sauce, I think a lot of questions asked throughout this thread can be answered in these vids tbh.

Again, thanks to CA for putting me on the right track in the first place!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    CA if you've time could you post up your rendang recipe, I've been meaning to make this for a while and have a kg of beef shin in the freezer that needs shifting :)

I made beef rendang last week using the recipe from Food Wishes on Youtube. It is a dry curry so all the sauce it starts off in gets absorbed into the chunks of beef and towards the end of cooking it needs a lot of stirring and attention. Took about 3.5 hours all up.

Blog post contains the method
    https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2019/01/beef-rendang-and-case-of-invisible-sauce.html
    Ingredients for 4 large portions Beef Rendang:
    4 shallots, sliced (or red onion)
    6 garlic cloves
    1.5 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, sliced
    1.5 inch piece galangal (or ginger)
    1 Fresno red chili pepper
    2 Serrano chili pepper
    1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
    1 or 2 tablespoons red chili flakes, depending on desired heat
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
    1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut in 2-inch pieces
    1/2 stalk lemongrass, lighter part, bruised with back of knife
    1 can coconut milk
    1 generous tablespoon brown sugar
    2 teaspoons tamarind paste (or zest from a lime and lemon, plus juice from 1 lime)
    steamed rice for service, garnished with cilantro and lime if desired

The galangal and lemon grass were the only tricky ingredients to get but found them across two different Asian shops. I dont feel the galangal is essential as you can just use normal ginger instead but definitely try to get the lemon grass. If cooking I would also advise to get large chunks of beef rather from a butcher rather than the supermarket packets of stewing beef with half inch pieces, you need big chunks to soak all that sauce up.

Taste wise it is very rich and flavoursome. I'll definitely be making it again but next time out I'll cook two kg of it across two pans, this is because it is a fair bit of time to just spend on 1kg/4 portions. I will also add more chillis as it wasn't hot enough for my liking, I used four green+red chillis with seeds in, will be upping that to 6 or 7.

Heres the video

savj2 wrote: »
    My recipe for just general north Indian curry (Punjabi style perhaps)
    Service with Naan or rice.

sounds really good, the spicing is aromatic and rich working perfect with the tomato. Personally i don't cook with chicken breast/fillet much because chicken thighs are almost always better. I suggest you sub in chicken thighs in place of the breasts ;)

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I made beef rendang last week...

my wife is really good at Indonesian cooking. we don't eat beef so rendang has never been a priority. Have cooked rendang with chicken on the bone but not definitive yet.

so much to say about Indonesian. noodles cooking is an area you can really ramp up the quality of the dish. Scotch bonnet/madam ginette chili works incredibly well with indonesian flavors to the extent i prefer to use them over sambal and that is not right :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 EB77

no, its essential to cook each portion of curry individually which will serve just 1 person. the cooking method does not work when scaled up.

so in your case use 4 different pans at same time or 2 pans twice or 1 pan 4 times :)

Hi curry addict
    Found your recipes and all set to make a big pot of tikka masala plus one other for large family dinner at the weekend and then spotted this reply 🙈🙈
    Any tips for what to do for an equally flavoursome curry for a family dinner - need to feed 10 adults and 7 kids so ideally something I can make the day before

• Advertisement
Advertisement