Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Wow. That was some dinner tonight! Rogan josh and a korma! Lovely stuff :)

sounds like it worked out well for you :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I have to freeze the base this morning. Will sandwich/ freezer bags not leak?
    The rice clumped up like hell too. Maybe i didnt have enough water in. What do you do with the cinnamon sticks and star anise when in rice? Pick them out before serviing?
    Also for anyone watching on, i got all of the ingredients in about 200g bags in a Bangladeshi store for less than 22e ( excluding chicken and cream)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

The rice clumped up like hell too. Maybe i didnt have enough water in. What do you do with the cinnamon sticks and star anise when in rice? Pick them out before serviing?
    Also for anyone watching on, i got all of the ingredients in about 200g bags in a Bangladeshi store for less than 22e ( excluding chicken and cream)

Bangladeshi store....where?

Thanks

when making the rice its a good idea to use the same cup you measure the rice with, to measure the water with, keeps it simple and accurate.

when the rice is cooked, after the 6 minutes with the lid on, take the lid off and you need to stir it intermittently for 15mins until all the steam has dissipated. You then need to keep the lid on or it gets clumpy.

i use old takeaway plastic containers and zipable plastic bags, enough or 2 curries in each one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Nope. I use them all the time for freezing sauces and the like. The best ones to get are the double zip lock ones. Like this one.

american-ziploc-1-gallon-double-zipper-freezer-bags-1489-p.jpg

I'd love to know what the equivalent cost would be for Schwartz spices from Tesco or Dunnes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭Posh Boy

Hi Curry Addict,

Been following this for a long time and finally plucked up the courage to have a go. Curry Gravy is made and freezing until I have more time to plan the dishes.

Was just wondering if you have a recipe for Butter Chicken. The wife really loves it and I'd like to be able to replicate it at home.

Posh Boy wrote: »
    Hi Curry Addict,

Been following this for a long time and finally plucked up the courage to have a go. Curry Gravy is made and freezing until I have more time to plan the dishes.

Was just wondering if you have a recipe for Butter Chicken. The wife really loves it and I'd like to be able to replicate it at home.

ill dig out a recipe for it later, its likely she will love the Korma also.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

when making the rice its a good idea to use the same cup you measure the rice with, to measure the water with, keeps it simple and accurate.

when the rice is cooked, after the 6 minutes with the lid on, take the lid off and you need to stir it intermittently for 15mins until all the steam has dissipated. You then need to keep the lid on or it gets clumpy.

i use old takeaway plastic containers and zipable plastic bags, enough or 2 curries in each one.

My trick is to boil rice (basmati) for roughly 5 minutes, then drain and rinse and finally steam in a colander (covered) for a further 15mins - or until it's done to personal preference - which results in perfect rice every time, great for people like me who just can't cook rice without it turning into a gooey mess :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Did an interesting curry last night with a whole chicken.

I chopped the chicken up into 6 pieces (2 legs, 2 breasts, torso into two halfves) and stuck it in a pot to stew for a couple of hours with whole spices, curry powder and some onion, garlic and ginger.

Then I just pulled the meat from the bones, strained out the inedible parts and had enough stock for 3 curries.

Made a vindaloo with it. I was tired and it was late so I rushed it and it didn't turn out great but, following this thread, even a bad curry is damned tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Larry Bee

ill dig out a recipe for it later, its likely she will love the Korma also.

If you happen to come across a recipe for Saag Paneer while you are digging, I'd appreciate it. ;)

I presume the Saag bit would be like the Saag Aloo recipe you posted earlier.

I've made paneer of sorts before by adding yoghurt to almost boiling milk but its never been as nice as I've had when eating out or take away.
    Some recipes suggest lightly frying it, others don't...?

Thanks,
    John

I've been following this thread too for a while, but the biggest pot I've got is 5.5 litres. Hopefully I'll be able to access a pot big enough over the weekend and try it out. If not I'll try make a smaller batch like you've suggested here. If its as good as everyone says then I'll invest in a bigger pot.

• Advertisement

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Bangladeshi store....where?

Thanks

I am in Limerick Eisenberg. However, when I am in Dublin, I seen at least two or three asian stores that sell the same stuff and they are on Talbot Street.
    The bags that you are looking for are made by a company EASTEND
    Here is a sample of them exactly as you will find them in the shops:

http://www.eastendfoods.co.uk/product-categories/spices/ground-spices/

They work out about €1.10 a bag which is good.
    However, Cardamom pods are €3.50 a bag and the Mace (Jawantri) is over €8 a bag so I didn't bother with that.
    Deggi Mirch is just a type of indian spice. Your man in my local was telling that Mirch is the Urdu for spice so they can recommend different ones that are not speciifcally of the Deggi type depending on what you are cooking etc.

Best of luck!

Larry Bee wrote: »
    If you ...

I've been following this thread too for a while, but the biggest pot I've got is 5.5 litres. Hopefully I'll be able to access a pot big enough over the weekend and try it out. If not I'll try make a smaller batch like you've suggested here. If its as good as everyone says then I'll invest in a bigger pot.

It is, it is well worth while.
    I made more Korma again last night. Gonna hold off now until the weekend again because i'll be as fat as a fool from it all!

Gbear wrote: »
    Did an interesting curry last night with a whole chicken.

I chopped the chicken up into 6 pieces (2 legs, 2 breasts, torso into two halfves) and stuck it in a pot to stew for a couple of hours with whole spices, curry powder and some onion, garlic and ginger.

Then I just pulled the meat from the bones, strained out the inedible parts and had enough stock for 3 curries.

Made a vindaloo with it. I was tired and it was late so I rushed it and it didn't turn out great but, following this thread, even a bad curry is damned tasty.

i really love this style of cooking and tbh i do it more often than any other. I like to use chicken thighs a lot and as you say its hard to go wrong :pac:

Larry Bee wrote: »
    If you happen to come across a recipe for Saag Paneer while you are digging, I'd appreciate it. ;)

I presume the Saag bit would be like the Saag Aloo recipe you posted earlier.

I've made paneer of sorts before by adding yoghurt to almost boiling milk but its never been as nice as I've had when eating out or take away.
    Some recipes suggest lightly frying it, others don't...?

Thanks,
    John

i haven't got much experience with paneer yet but gotta love saag panner :pac: as you say it will probably work great if you try it like the saag aloo.

with regards cooking panner i guess there are different ways to cook it that will give different textures so experimentation is they way to go!

good luck with making the base it will be worth it in the end :)

I am in Limerick Eisenberg. However, when I am in Dublin, I seen at least two or three asian stores that sell the same stuff and they are on Talbot Street.

Many thanks for great reply......the shop in Limerick?

They work out about €1.10 a bag which is good.
    However, Cardamom pods are €3.50 a bag and the Mace (Jawantri) is over €8 a bag so I didn't bother with that.
    Deggi Mirch is just a type of indian spice. Your man in my local was telling that Mirch is the Urdu for spice so they can recommend different ones that are not speciifcally of the Deggi type depending on what you are cooking etc.

Best of luck!

deggi mirch simply means chilli powder in hindi. MDH do a really nice chilli powder.

the Mace sounds way overpriced, im sure you will find it cheaper!

It is, it is well worth while.
    I made more Korma again last night. Gonna hold off now until the weekend again because i'll be as fat as a fool from it all!

easy on the korma unfortunately but the madras and vindaloo should be grand to eat as much as you like!

One more question..........

Following the recipe for the meats will give me too much as there's only the 2 of us. Is it possible to then go and make the finished curry and freeze for eating another time or can I scale back the meat?

I'd hate to cook 4 chicken breasts only to have to throw some of it out due to wastage. What options do I have?

One more question..........

Following the recipe for the meats will give me too much as there's only the 2 of us. Is it possible to then go and make the finished curry and freeze for eating another time or can I scale back the meat?

I'd hate to cook 4 chicken breasts only to have to throw some of it out due to wastage. What options do I have?

Just cook 2 chicken breasts with half the ingredients(for cooking the meats) and it will work out great!

Many thanks for great reply......the shop in Limerick?

Ah, if you are in Limerick, the store across from Taites clock on Davis street is the place. You can look around yourself or just give the lads the list of stuff. They are lovely and will bring it all back to you in a basket.

• Advertisement

Just cook 2 chicken breasts with half the ingredients(for cooking the meats) and it will work out great!

That is what I ended up doing. Works out great.

Curry addict.
    The meat suggested in this thread, is that the type you suggest simmering in the oil and fat/ spice pot for three hours?
    Just want to get it right...

Thanks

Curry addict.
    The meat suggested in this thread, is that the type you suggest simmering in the oil and fat/ spice pot for three hours?
    Just want to get it right...

Thanks

yes for lamb/mutton 3 hrs brazing should give a great result. The liquid in the pot should be about 1/2 to 2/3 way up the meat, the lid on and gentle brazing so its cooking and steaming in its own juices and spiced broth.

If you are going to do it, do it right curry addict - I have two that haven't been mentioned at all :p

Very delicious ones that I haven't seen posted here.
    I haven't a clue how to approach it but I promise to anyone who likes the creamy/ spicy type ones over tomato based ones, then these two are for you.

Shahjahani and Mughlai.

I used to order them years ago in a small Indian place in Limerick but the place is long since closed and no one else in Limerick does it. I asked Mogul Emporer in Limerick about them but he said chef didn't know how to do them but he would try if I gave him the recipe so I just thought I might as well try to figure it out myself if that's the case.

I don't know if anyone has attempted them or if Curry Addict knows how to prepare them using his own recipes :)

Aldi are doing three large onions as part of their super 6 for just .39c at the moment. They are the big juicy ones. Cut them in half and you have two normal sized onion potions so you could use these when making your curry base to freeze.

OK,

Im getting my shopping list together for this weekend to finish the dishes and meats. I think I'll try the Rogan Josh & the Korma.

Any update on a Butter Chicken recipe Curry Addict?

OK,

Im getting my shopping list together for this weekend to finish the dishes and meats. I think I'll try the Rogan Josh & the Korma.

Any update on a Butter Chicken recipe Curry Addict?

sorry i have been so busy i havent forgotten!

If you are going to do it, do it right curry addict - I have two that haven't been mentioned at all :p

Very delicious ones that I haven't seen posted here.
    I haven't a clue how to approach it but I promise to anyone who likes the creamy/ spicy type ones over tomato based ones, then these two are for you.

Shahjahani and Mughlai.

I used to order them years ago in a small Indian place in Limerick but the place is long since closed and no one else in Limerick does it. I asked Mogul Emporer in Limerick about them but he said chef didn't know how to do them but he would try if I gave him the recipe so I just thought I might as well try to figure it out myself if that's the case.

I don't know if anyone has attempted them or if Curry Addict knows how to prepare them using his own recipes :)

curries like this are usually the chefs variation of a regional dish. they are usually unique to the chef so you are unlikely to ever find these exact curries again but maybe something like it. Mughlai is a common curry name but it does vary wildly its a regional cooking style....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mughlai_cuisine
    creamy curries are just not my thing, so i have little experience with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

Can the curries on this thread be frozen and reheated at a later date? Say if a person was to cook a large batch would they be able to portion it off and freeze it for use later in the week/month?

• Advertisement

Curry addict, do you have anything for Tandoori chicken?

I do chickens wings, marinated in yogurt, lime juice, vinegar and tandoori spice, quite a tasty snack, but looking at your recipes, I am sure you have something better?

Thanks

Zymurgist wrote: »
    Can the curries on this thread be frozen and reheated at a later date? Say if a person was to cook a large batch would they be able to portion it off and freeze it for use later in the week/month?

the ideal way to do it is to make the base and freeze it in portions. when we eat curry its just 2 of us so I put two portions of "curry base" in each old plastic take away container and freeze. When i want a curry i take one out of the freezer and defrost it in the microwave. I cook 2 chicken fillets fresh as per the recipe "cooking the meats" and then I make each of the 2 curries 1 at a time. It gives a great result and tastes nice and fresh although the base does lose a little flavor when frozen.

Curry addict, do you have anything for Tandoori chicken?

I do chickens wings, marinated in yogurt, lime juice, vinegar and tandoori spice, quite a tasty snack, but looking at your recipes, I am sure you have something better?

Thanks

i have used many recipes down through the years and i do have a favorite, although most recipes do work well imho. i have a tandoor in the garden :D

i have one that I like the best, ill post it up here tomorrow and ill also post a butter chicken one someone else asked for :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

i have a tandoor in the garden :D

Get out of here:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PigeonPie

Curry addict - had your madras the other night......absolutely gorgeous! Thank you!!! Have a load of the curry base in the freezer. Can't wait to try the korma next. Cheers for all your recipes ��

Here is the recipe for butter chicken/Murg Makhani

2 tbs oil
    1 onion(finely diced)
    2 tomatoes(diced)
    1 tsp ginger/garlic paste
    ----
    1 tbs curry masala
    0.5 tsp chilli powder
    a cup of water
    ----
    pre cooked chicken/lamb
    1 tbs honey
    60g butter
    1 ladle curry base
    1/2 tsp garam masala
    salt to taste
    a dash of cream

add the first set of ingredients to the pan and fry off for 3-4mins on medium to high heat.
    Add the second set of ingredients and blend in the pan with a hand blender(add the water quickly after the dry spices, within 10 secs). bring back up to heat.
    Add the 3rd set of ingredients except the cream and cook for 3 mins.
    turn off the heat, stir in the cream and serve. the sauce should be silky smooth!
    a lot of places will add orange food colouring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Get out of here:eek:

+ 1 . . . . You can't just casually drop the fact you've a tandoori oven in your back garden like that. Come on.....pictures, story.....

garbanzo wrote: »
    + 1 . . . . You can't just casually drop the fact you've a tandoori oven in your back garden like that. Come on.....pictures, story.....

lol :cool:. i made it myself out of an old copper boiler a large clay plant pot and a fire resistant cement. It works grand, its all covered up now for the winter.

lol :cool:. i made it myself out of an old copper boiler a large clay plant pot and a fire resistant cement. It works grand, its all covered up now for the winter.

The only place to cook Tandoori is outside:rolleyes:, it usually takes three days to clear the aroma from inside the house.

Any update re a recipe ?

Thanks

The only place to cook Tandoori is outside:rolleyes:, it usually takes three days to clear the aroma from inside the house.

Any update re a recipe ?

Thanks

sorry this took so long, getting new floors installed here so my resources all packed away.
    The recipe is from the book "Prashad, cooking with indian masters" its a definitive book on Indian cooking like larousse gastronomique is for french.

Tandoori Murgh

1 full chicken(remove the skin and chop into portions)
    Salt
    1 tsp red chilli powder
    4tbs lemon juice
    100g natural yoghurt
    100g fresh cream
    5tsp ginger/garlic paste
    1tsp ground cumin
    0.5 tsp garam masala
    1tsp saffron
    1 drop of orange colour

Make deep incisions in the chicken flesh. Make a paste of salt, lemon juice and chilli powder. Rub it over the chicken flesh evenly. Note i tend to use a lot more than is recommended in the recipe(at least twice the amount).
    Set the chicken aside for at least 15 minutes to allow the marinade do its work.
    Add all the remaining ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Rub the mix into the chicken pieces and refrigerate for at least 4 hours(i recommend 24hours).
    Skewer the chicken if you have skewers(not totally necessary)
    Cook for 30mins at 200 degrees basting with butter every 10 min's. The basting is really important to keep the chicken for getting too dry.
    Last baste about 2 mins before it finishes in the oven and finish with a squeeze of lemon.

Hey CA, we have a pineapple (for some reason) so I thought I might try a dhansak (or whichever one has pineapples in it).

Do you have any dhansak recipes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Joy of Joys!!!

Just discovered a shop, 2 mins walk away from work, that sells spices.

Got a fairly nice sized bag of tumeric & another bag of black mustard seeds, for less that €3.00!:D:):D

Many thanks for the Tandoori recipe Curry Addict

Hey CA, we have a pineapple (for some reason) so I thought I might try a dhansak (or whichever one has pineapples in it).

Do you have any dhansak recipes?

place is upside down here atm I will post up a dhansak within the next week sorry i cant do it faster(hope your pineapple holds out).

In the tandoori chicken recipe I never use the saffron as evertime i buy it it turns out to be crap, probably fake imho.

For Tandoori Jhinga I do it the same but it needs much less amount of the second marinade as its less surface area. also add a tsp of Ajwain seed. Ajwain seed and fish/shellfish is wonderful.

For cooking, a cast iron griddle pan smoking hot, no oil. for fresh king prawn 1.5 mins each side max gives a great result. Nice little bit of char etc. for jumbo prawn 2 mins each side should do it although I have much experience of them.

In the tandoori chicken recipe I never use the saffron as evertime i buy it it turns out to be crap, probably fake imho.

For Tandoori Jhinga I do it the same but it needs much less amount of the second marinade as its less surface area. also add a tsp of Ajwain seed. Ajwain seed and fish/shellfish is wonderful.

For cooking, a cast iron griddle pan smoking hot, no oil. for fresh king prawn 1.5 mins each side max gives a great result. Nice little bit of char etc. for jumbo prawn 2 mins each side should do it although I have much experience of them.

The saffron you get in Asian stores tends to be fake. The only proper one I find is the Schwartz one.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The saffron you get in Asian stores tends to be fake. The only proper one I find is the Schwartz one.

thanks BaZmo, i guess schwartz had to be good for something :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

ok i ordered the "chicken tikka mirchi" from bombay pantry last night and enjoyed, quite a nice curry :)
    i havent tried it out yet but heres how i would replicate it, this should be pretty close....

Chicken Tikka mirchi
    Stage 1
    1tbs mustard oil
    1.5tbs butter
    2tsp mustard seeds
    10 chopped curry leaves
    1 medium sized green chilli slit crossways in 3-4 spots
    1tsp ginger/garlic paste
    1 chef spoon coarsely chopped red onion
    1 chef spoon coarsely shopped bell pepper
    0.66tsp salt
    Stage 2
    2tsp tomato puree
    1tsp cumin powder
    1tsp curry masala
    1tbs kasoori methi
    2ladels of curry base
    1 portion of precooked chicken tikka
    Stage 3
    1tbs sugar
    5tbs of cream
    ¼ tsp garam masala
    2tbs chopped coriander leaf
    ¼ tsp garam masala
    1tbs lemon juice

heat the oil to medium - high heat and add the stage 1 ingredients quickly one at a time in order. saute for 2 mins.
    Add the stage 2 ingredients, the curry base must go in within 20 secs of the spices or you risk burning them. allow the pan to come back up to heat and cook for 2-3 mins.
    add the stage 3 ingredients one at a time, turn off the heat, stir them in and serve.

above is my feeling of what should go in and the quantities but realistically i would taste and maybe adjust the following...
    the sugar and lemon juice need to be balanced, i would try 1tsp sugar and
    2tsp of lemon juice first and adjust from there. if the zing zang of the sweet and sour is not so noticeable i would add a teaspoon at a time and keep them in balance. it wont be more than 3tsp sugar to 6tsp lemon juice so that should be the upper limit.

remove the green chilli before serving..

The lord Jaysus, I tried this tonight. Amazing, even though I hadn't quite all the ingredients to hand.

thanks BaZmo, i guess schwartz had to be good for something :D

No worries. Watched a documentary about it a few years ago. Saffron spice is the stigmas from the saffron crocus. The fake stuff is made from the odds and sods of the plant with food colouring added.
    It's actually quite easy to see the difference when you compare the two side by side. There's also a test you can do by putting a small piece of each in a glass of water.

http://youtu.be/YRJsYtUAY8A

Gave the Dhansak a go.

No idea how authentic it was as I've never got one before.

Fried a diced onion, ginger/garlic paste, added a drop of tomato and a makey uppy curry masala that I decided should be savoury and earthy to help balance the sweetness and acidity of the rest of the dish (lots of cumin, favouring black cardomom over green, a decent amount of both fenugreek leaves and seeds).

Then I added the base sauce and some more tomato passata. Then I simmered on a high heat for a couple of minutes, added some pre-cooked chana dhal and moong dhal, lamb, some quartered fresh tomatoes, a fistful of fresh coriander and a bit less fresh mint.

Finally I took half a pineapple and blended it together with the juice of a lemon and stirred it in at the end.

The pineapple (which has a very light kind of sweetness, rather than the richer sort you get if you use brown sugar or something like that) made is very refreshing.

Gave the Dhansak a go.

No idea how authentic it was as I've never got one before.

Fried a diced onion, ginger/garlic paste, added a drop of tomato and a makey uppy curry masala that I decided should be savoury and earthy to help balance the sweetness and acidity of the rest of the dish (lots of cumin, favouring black cardomom over green, a decent amount of both fenugreek leaves and seeds).

Then I added the base sauce and some more tomato passata. Then I simmered on a high heat for a couple of minutes, added some pre-cooked chana dhal and moong dhal, lamb, some quartered fresh tomatoes, a fistful of fresh coriander and a bit less fresh mint.

Finally I took half a pineapple and blended it together with the juice of a lemon and stirred it in at the end.

The pineapple (which has a very light kind of sweetness, rather than the richer sort you get if you use brown sugar or something like that) made is very refreshing.

sounds lovely GBear, fresh pineapple is so much better than the tinned :)
    I saw someone bake one in a salt crust on TV awhile ago and those that ate it said it was amazing :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement