Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuel for an Open Fire

Options
  • 18-01-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm living in Dublin 6 and am wondering where to get reasonably priced coal / logs / turf.

I'm from Tramore where a 40kg bag is €12.50. In the hardware shop down the road from me they sell 20kg bags for €12.50, so you can understand my annoyance I'm sure.

So is there a proper coal / turf / log seller around? Or do Dublin people who enjoy a fire just have to accept getting rode?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

You're living in Dublin now I think you'll find most things are more expensive. : )

Unfortunately I can't help with your query, got rid of my open fire about 6 years ago I do miss it sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

gordons fuel depot on harolds cross bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

blue note wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm living in Dublin 6 and am wondering where to get reasonably priced coal / logs / turf.

I'm from Tramore where a 40kg bag is €12.50. In the hardware shop down the road from me they sell 20kg bags for €12.50, so you can understand my annoyance I'm sure.

So is there a proper coal / turf / log seller around? Or do Dublin people who enjoy a fire just have to accept getting rode?

A coal man with a coal van calls to my house. I don't know how big the bag of coal is but I bought a bag of coal, two bales of briquettes and a small bag of logs for 27euro just before Christmas. I'm in Finglas (D11) so this particular coal man will be no use to you, but you should keep your eyes peeled for a better solution to your fuel needs than the hardware shop. Don't accept being rode, as you call it, there's definitely better value to be found.

Happy fire sitting in front of :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

saw an ad in the herald earlier for a fuel sale in homevalue hardware in baldoyle. if you have a set of wheels its not far from D6

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Or do Dublin people who enjoy a fire just have to accept getting rode?

No, some people move to Dublin and enjoy being rode. Buying your fuel in a 'hardware' or DIY shop anywhere in the country is stupid, it's wasteful and sometimes the logs are imported and kiln dried. You are paying for energy to be wasted on an energy product.

Try www.logs.ie Old school Wicklow operation. The wood is air seasoned, sourced from mills, managed forests, tree surgeons and gardeners. You will get a truck load for about €180.

Plenty of other coal suppliers around the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I order off homefuel.ie & spend about €55 on 3 40kg bags delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭blue note

Thanks guys. One of the other lads in the house is going to Navan for the weekend and will pick up a couple of bags of coal (about €15 per 40kg bag). There are some places that deliver it seems though that are fairly reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

If it's the same Dublin 6 hardware shop I'm thinking of, then I wouldn't be expecting any bargains off them.

Advertisement