Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

little advice required

Options
  • 18-01-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

hey all...

about to build a new gaming rig...
    specifically just to play Rfactor and some other sims like F1 and the upcoming GTR3..

installed the new rfactor beta and its shuddering and jumping all over the place even with the graphics set to minimum...

currently have an AMD 4600 dual core with 4gb memory and a nvidia 8800gt 512, all the normal extras: fatality 64mb sound card, dvd drives and such, all powered by a Tagan 480w u01 psu all inside an Antec p180b chassis...

looking at the bits below:

I2500k cpu
    8gb ram
    z68 mobo
    6870 ati

would i get away with just replacing the 4 parts listed and use the rest of whats in the machine? mainly worried that the PSU wont be able to power the new bits... or should i ditch the PSU and sound card, get a new PSU and use the on-board sound?

may also look at an SSD just for windows as well.....

any advice?

thanks in advance....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

upgrade the amd cpu on your current pc to a AM2 socket Dual core Athlon x2 6000 and you should be ok... i have one such cpu i no longer need if your interested

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

op, that was custom built pc in the first place? so i dont see any roblem why you cant do what you want.

your case is still very good, so all of those components will fit.

now 480w is more then enough for 6870.

i would even recomend getting CS mobo, so that in time you could upgrade psu and drop in second 6870.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭robk24

Cool thanks for that...
    yeah was a custom build alright...

my main worry was just the PSU as i said...
    when you say CS mobo, do you mean crossfire ready? so better of looking at the z68 extreme gen 3 instead?

robk24 wrote: »
    Cool thanks for that...
    yeah was a custom build alright...

my main worry was just the PSU as i said...
    when you say CS mobo, do you mean crossfire ready? so better of looking at the z68 extreme gen 3 instead?

it does not have to be gen 3 z68 to be a CS.

though for such built i would go for z68 gen 3 anyway.

on the other hand gen 3 will give you pcie 3.0, but 7970 proved that it is useless for next gen cards. this and next gen cards are still working on saturating pcie 2.0. if you will decide to save a few quid on gen 3 bit, then no one will blame you.

even if you decide to go for 1 gpu setup in the future, its still nice to have that CS or sli option, you newer know what can you find on adverts.ie or donedeal.ie

Sorry no idea what CS is?

What board would you recommend?
    I wouldn't mind having the option of running sli in the future if newer racing sims come out....

• Advertisement

Sorry CS is crossfire. The ati version of sli.

What's your budget on mobo?

This is the One I got for my 2500k build:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z68a-g45-(b3)-intel-z68-s-1155-ddr3-sata-6gb-s-raid-sata-pcie-20-(x16)-vga-on-board-atx

It's not gen 3, but very good board. It might be cheaper elsewhere I just gave you link where I got it.

I don't want to advice you on board I haven't used before, as I don't have personal experience myself, but I would stay away from gygabite z68 boards as they give some weird problems and good few lads reported having issues.

Try that German website lads are using here. It will be cheaper, but I don't like it as it is very poor on item discription.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Sorry CS is crossfire. The ati version of sli.

What's your budget on mobo?

Should it not be CF?

OP, fill out these questions and post here, it will give a better idea as to what exactly you want.

ok sorry should have read the sticky first!

@ shadowhearth was looking at the asus z68:
    http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=50900&agid=1601

so anyway

1. What is your budget? [€500-800]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming (rfactor 2, F1, GTR 3)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no have w7 64bit ultimate

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? yes: SB X-fi fatality 64mb sound card, dvd drives, Tagan 480w u01 psu and an Antec p180b chassis with 4 controlled system fans

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5a. If yes, what size do you need.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080 47" led tv 4ms

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] nope

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser/paypal

9. When are you purchasing? whenever hopefully asap

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? no help needed (but may ask for more advice!!)

thanks again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

How about this?

Item|Price
    Total build cost: €755.40 + €30 shipping
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€33.65
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€119.99
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€197.91
    ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 13 CO(Sockel 775/1155/1156/1366/754/939/AM2/AM2 +/AM3/AM3+/FM1)|€23.24
    Sapphire HD 6950 Dirt3, 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express|€234.61
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€92.99
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 550W|€53.01

Your case looks good, and you already have an optical drive. Do you need a hard drive, or can you take it from your old machine?

• Advertisement

Lol it of CF, dunno why I said Cs :D

I am up since 4:00!!! Don't judge for screwing up a wee bit! :D

Good list above op. with tasty ssd in it!

Hey anyone know what the story is with payment on hardwareversand.de??

is it cash on delivery??

Hey anyone know what the story is with payment on hardwareversand.de??

is it cash on delivery??

bank transfer or up to 500eu with paypal.

p.s. that mobo is lovely. gen 3 with proper speed pcie 3.0.

cool thanks a lot....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

bank transfer

What details must you put in the transfer?
    Name and order number only, or more?

What details must you put in the transfer?
    Name and order number only, or more?

you will have to get more info from other lads with buying from that german website. i am prety sure a lot of them used internet banking for that.

that transfer thing was one of the reasons i went with other website for my build.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

They give you the details of the account to pay into, and you put your order number in the reference section so they know it's from you!

I'd add my voice to the positives - seamless purchase, and very cheap delivery for large orders like full builds!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭KINGPIN

Just ordered off them yesterday.

Put order through online and than got an email saying my order was recieved and when money is lodged to the following account your order will go through.

Through aib internet banking i just went to account transfer and international, filled in all the information and where it asked for msg i put the number they asked me to put in on the email.

I also used a bank transfer in the bank to purchase off them, same as online except you gotta fill out the form by hand.

You can pick urgent or standard, urgent costs like 25 euro i think. i chose standard which was free and took less than 24 hours.

They sent me an email this morning confirming they recieved payment and approved my order for delivery.

Btw they gave me two different accounts i could xfer too, i chose the first one.

Yeah done the same myself..
    Just a bit awkward, but well worth it when you consider the money saved over buying locally even including shipping on top......

Quick question

Went with that build recommended (thanks again lads) except kept my own psu and lowered the graphics card to a 6870, the games i play are not as power hungry as Crysis, Cod and so forth and if any new games do come out sure i can drop into SLI to combat any losses...
    Cant see anything soon as been waiting 3 years for Rfactor 2 and GTR3!!!!

In regards to the motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, is it still rule of thumb not to use the onboard sound card? been a few years since i built and there used to be problems associated with onboard sound giving conflicts and such...

Would there be much gain in sound performance with say a Creative Titanium Fatality X-Fi over the onboard?

Just realized my XFi is PCI only not express....

Thanks

Yeah done the same myself..
    Just a bit awkward, but well worth it when you consider the money saved over buying locally even including shipping on top......

Quick question

Went with that build recommended (thanks again lads) except kept my own psu and lowered the graphics card to a 6870, the games i play are not as power hungry as Crysis, Cod and so forth and if any new games do come out sure i can drop into SLI to combat any losses...
    Cant see anything soon as been waiting 3 years for Rfactor 2 and GTR3!!!!

In regards to the motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, is it still rule of thumb not to use the onboard sound card? been a few years since i built and there used to be problems associated with onboard sound giving conflicts and such...

Would there be much gain in sound performance with say a Creative Titanium Fatality X-Fi over the onboard?

Just realized my XFi is PCI only not express....

Thanks

bejesus, i hope he wont see this post, or we will have a text of wall about sound! ( you know who you are! ;) )

well i use onboard sound and all i do is gaming, got 5.1 setup and it works perfect. makes me poop my pants playing dead space 1 at night all lights turned off and 5.1 speakers.

if you do some serious work with sound, then stand alone sound card is a must, but if you are a mortal user like most gamers, then onboard is more then enough. i have XFI gamer in my dell spx420 and there is no difference between my onboard sound on new pc. in fact i always get some driver problems with that XFI soundcard and it would randomly blow static in to my ears and would require a restart.

• Advertisement

So ordered, shipped, received and built!!

I can only say one thing, "SSD": holy crapolow.... well impressed, to say the least...

Just wanted to say thanks a lot to all for the help and advice :):):)

Cheers

Rob

Advertisement