Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 476)

Options
  • 18-01-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Has anyone gone on this visa? It seems to be for Engineering graduates. I am due to graduate from Civil Engineering this year and was thinking of getting this visa. It is an 18 month visa with no work restrictions or farm work required.

From reading on this and other sites I unerstand that it is hard for graduates to get engineering work on a WHV as they can only work for 6 months. Would this visa improve my chances of getting work as a Civil Engineer?

Any advice/opinion is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

i'm sure you probably know but just in case you dont:

you have to be a graduate from a recognised institute (no irish college on it) here is the list of the recognised institutes in europe:

Camborne School of Mines (University of Exeter) (UK)
    Delft University of Technology (Netherlands)
    HUT, Helsinki (Finland)
    Imperial College London (UK)
    Lulea University of Technology (Sweden)
    Moscow State University (Russia)
    RWTH, Aachen (Germany)
    St Petersburg State University (Russia)
    Technology University Aachen (Germany)
    Technical University of Berlin (Germany)
    Technical University of Clausthal (Germany)
    TU Bergakademie Freiberg (Germany)
    TU Berlin (Germany)
    TU Kosice (Slovakia)
    University of Birmingham (UK)
    University of Bristol (UK)
    University of Hannover (Germany)
    University of Leeds (UK)
    University of Liverpool (UK)
    University of Manchester (UK)
    University of Miskolc (Hungary)
    University of Nottingham (UK)
    University of Portsmouth (UK)
    University of Southampton (UK)
    Wroclaw University of Technology (Poland)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 edkiely

I know this is an old post but I just want to let ye know that Irish institutes are recognised. Here they are:

• Athlone Institute of Technology (AIT)
    • Cork Institute of Technology (CIT)
    • Dublin City University (DCU)
    • Institute of Technology, Carlow (ITC)
    • Institute of Technology, Sligo (ITS)
    • Institute of Technology, Tallaght (ITT)
    • National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG)
    • National University of Ireland, Maynooth (NUIM)
    • University College, Cork (UCC)
    • University College, Dublin (UCD)
    • University of Dublin, Trinity College (TCD)
    • University of Limerick (UL)
    • Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT)
    Was hoping to get this visa myself but doing an IT course. Looks I'll be looking for another way out of here.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

edkiely wrote: »
    I know this is an old post but I just want to let ye know that Irish institutes are recognised. Here they are:

Was hoping to get this visa myself but doing an IT course. Looks I'll be looking for another way out of here.

Can you source this info pls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

ifeelill wrote: »

Can you source this info pls

My request also. I've come over as a graduate engineer, as have hundreds of other Irish and i haven't heard of anyone being on this visa. I looked this up before i left and only saw the the previously posted list with no Irish colleges. Very few countries have more than one college included and so many larger countries don't have any, that's why i find it hard to believe that all those Irish colleges are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/476/recognised-institutions.htm

Looks like its been updated, that's the thing with dept of immigration, requirements can change every 6 months or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Well there ya go! Shame i am a few months over the 2 year limit, woulda been a good back up plan if my sponsorship falls through.

Noo wrote: »
    Well there ya go! Shame i am a few months over the 2 year limit, woulda been a good back up plan if my sponsorship falls through.

What two year limit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

ifeelill wrote: »

What two year limit ?

"You must have completed your Engineering degree at a recognised institution in the last two years."

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭trippertds

Sounds good!

Does anyone know if you can get this visa after being on a 1st year holiday visa, then sponsored on a 457?

I'm still on the 457, but this would give more security if something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rapperboi58

I have three engineering related degrees including a masters and am wondering if anyone has this visa? I would just like to know if it is straightforward enough to apply for and get or what? And also if granted, is there a window of opportunity that it has to be used within? Like I think the Working Visa enables one to enter Australia for up to 12 months after getting the visa. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 hotboxaerox

edkiely wrote: »

No Institute of Technology,Dublin (DIT)?!

No Institute of Technology,Dublin (DIT)?!

Nope no sign of it. Thats odd, i thought DIT were the only IT with degree awarding powers. Seems strange that they would not be on the list. Glad i went to AIT :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 hotboxaerox

hopefully they sort that, id like to apply for this visa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

DKIT isn't there either :confused:

I gotta say i didn't expect to see AIT on it either so im not surprised that DKIT isn't on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭trippertds

They made a printing error on the DIAC website & DIT is falsely listed under the UK university listings. You can see it on the list.

Anyone gonna apply for it? It's way better than the WHV if you have an Engineering degree

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭memaul

so has anyone applied for this visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Gonna dig this one up again. Anyone got any experience with this visa or know anyone who applied for it. Currently in Australia myself on the 1st year WHV and am interested in applying for this so any info on it would be helpful.

Anyone????

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tower08

I would like some feedback on this visa also as i am looking into applying for it in the next few weeks.

It seems like a good option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I did not know about this visa either and would like to find out from people that may have used it.

I applied for this visa last week so now I guess its just a matter of waiting. One thing thats bugging me is the "graduated within the last 2 years" bit. I graduated May 2 years ago so at the moment I'm within the 2 year time limit. However the immigration website says that it could take up to 7 months for the visa to be processed in which case I'd be over the 2 year time frame. So I'm wondering are they going to consider that 2 year thing on the basis of the date that the application was lodged or from when it goes to a case officer???

Id say it would be from the date the application was received by the DIAC.

I assume also that it would be 2 years from date of graduation not the date you completed your exams?

tower08 wrote: »
    I assume also that it wouldy be 2 years from date of graduation not the date you completed your exams?

Sorry that was my mistake in the previous post! For some reason I keep associating the end of exams with graduating!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Hi guys,

Just to address some of the queries that are cropping up here -

We have lodged a number of these applications recently.
    · Application is considered from the date that the application was received not the date it is being processed by a case officer.
    · DIT is on the Irish list now – I guess they moved this over recently.
    · You can apply for the visa so long as you have graduated within the last 2 years – so if you are on a working holiday visa (or even a sponsorship visa), you can apply for this so long as the 2 year timeframe has not passed.
    · I would not go by the 7 months suggested timeframe given by DIAC – they often give timeframes that are way beyond what happens in practice.

Thanks,
    Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 1 galwaynutter

hi ,
    Would anyone know why GMIT is not on this list and will it be added any time soon .

Hi guys,

Just to address some of the queries that are cropping up here -

We have lodged a number of these applications recently.
    · Application is considered from the date that the application was received not the date it is being processed by a case officer.
    · DIT is on the Irish list now – I guess they moved this over recently.
    · You can apply for the visa so long as you have graduated within the last 2 years – so if you are on a working holiday visa (or even a sponsorship visa), you can apply for this so long as the 2 year timeframe has not passed.
    · I would not go by the 7 months suggested timeframe given by DIAC – they often give timeframes that are way beyond what happens in practice.

Thanks,
    Declan Clune

Hi Declan,

With the applications you have lodged recently have any been granted yet?

I am just trying to find out the processing times as I applied for a 476 one month ago inside Australia and as it is an offshore visa, I am not eligible for a bridging visa.

I was given my 28 days notice in relation to my 457 so I will be leaving in the next couple of weeks and I am trying to gauge how long I will be out of the country for and see if I would be better off flying back to Ireland or just hanging out in Asia. If its actually going to take the full 7 monthsI would have no option but to head back to Ireland really.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭krustycustomer

Anybody know if bridging the 457 works with this visa?

I am graduating in July and would like to know if I should apply for the 457 and then apply for the 476 from oz or wait to go to oz with the 476 and forget about the 457.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Anybody know if bridging the 457 works with this visa?

I am graduating in July and would like to know if I should apply for the 457 and then apply for the 476 from oz or wait to go to oz with the 476 and forget about the 457.

Thanks

You need a company to sponsor you for the 457. But it is possible to be on a 457 and move to a 476. I would forget about the 457 altogether and get the 476 before going to Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭krustycustomer

Sorry I meant the WHV.

Should I a) go to oz now on a whv, then apply for the 476 in july

or b) forget the whv, apply for 476 in july and wait to go to oz until i get it.

Thanks

Advertisement