Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skilled – Recognised Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 476)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Sorry I meant the WHV.

Should I a) go to oz now on a whv, then apply for the 476 in july

or b) forget the whv, apply for 476 in july and wait to go to oz until i get it.

Thanks

You've got until you're 31 to get the WHV so if that's quite a few years away I'd look at the 476 first and if that fails then the 417. You should get a job easier on the 476 in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

All this Visa malark is confusing me a tad,I just want to make sure i'm not missing anything.

I have an Engineering Degree from 2010. I intend on heading to australia in september of this year and having a proper go at it and try get a permanent job (and sponsorship)

Is a WHV my best (only?) option?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

All this Visa malark is confusing me a tad,I just want to make sure i'm not missing anything.

I have an Engineering Degree from 2010. I intend on heading to australia in september of this year and having a proper go at it and try get a permanent job (and sponsorship)

Is a WHV my best (only?) option?

476 is out the window as it's a graduate visa, you would have needed to have completed it in the last 2 years not 2010.

If you have real experience you could maybe obtain a skills assessment and apply for Permeant Residency skilled visa like 189 or 190. This will give you the freedom to apply for what ever job you want.

Looking for a permanent job on a WHV can be hard because of the 6 month restriction and after last year many reputable companies have changed their policies on sponsoring. Sponsorship is down about 40% compared to this time last year, although not impossible probably a lot harder now than it has been over the last 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NiallSORo

mandrake04 wrote: »
    If you have real experience you could maybe obtain a skills assessment and apply for Permeant Residency skilled visa like 189 or 190. This will give you the freedom to apply for what ever job you want.

Sebastian

If your degree is accredited by a Washington or Sydney Accord signatory body then you can obtain a positive skills assessment from Engineers Australia without any subsequent experience. Then you might be able to apply for an independent 189 (or state-sponsored 190) skilled visa.

Check the Engineers Ireland site to see if your degree is/was accredited.

Bear in mind that you have less than 5 years experience it is likely you will need to do an IELTS English test to make the points threshold.

Regards
    Niall O'Rourke
    MARN 1277929

NiallSORo wrote: »
    Sebastian

If your degree is accredited by a Washington or Sydney Accord signatory body then you can obtain a positive skills assessment from Engineers Australia without any subsequent experience. Then you might be able to apply for an independent 189 (or state-sponsored 190) skilled visa.

Check the Engineers Ireland site to see if your degree is/was accredited.

Bear in mind that you have less than 5 years experience it is likely you will need to do an IELTS English test to make the points threshold.

Regards
    Niall O'Rourke
    MARN 1277929

Ni Niall,

Yep, degree is accredited; aeronautical engineering from University fo Limerick

Are you saying that I need more than 5 years experience in industry, or that if I have less than 5 years experience that i'd need to do an english test?... how are they even related?

Is it an expensive / time consuming process to get a 189 / 190 ?

• Advertisement

Are you saying that I need more than 5 years experience in industry, or that if I have less than 5 years experience that i'd need to do an english test?... how are they even related?

It's all to do with points.
    You need at least 60 to be issued with an invitation to apply for these visas.
    You can obtain a max of 30 for your age. You will get 15 for your degree. 3-5 years of relevant post-qual experience outside Australia gets you a max of 5 points. Extra 5 for the 190 visa if you are nominated.

So you will most likely need either the 10 points a 7.0 IELTS score gives you, or else the 20 points for a 8.0 score, to get over the 60 points line.

AU$630 and 6-8 weeks for your skills assessment. If you have 65+ points you will probably get an invite to apply within 2 rounds (these invite rounds occur twice a month). AU$3,520 for the visa application. Then 3-4 months for the visa to be decided. Also ~AU$400 for medicals.
    Those are the costs you will definitely incur. All as at today's date.

Is there a guideline of the points breakdown available somewhere?

if i'm 27, Aeronautical degree with honours, 4-5 years experience in industry, english is my first language, etc... I'd like to figure out what my points outcome would be before submitting for an assesment.

My second Dilema is whether It would be wiser to head over on a WHV for a year and see if I can get a job/sponsorship that way; this way I could see how I get on without dropping a few grand. Although it would be more likely to get work straight away if I were to have a 189 right? My sis lives there and i've been over a couple of time and I really like it, but the WHV idea seems to give me the oppertunity what it's like to live there.

thanks for all the great info so far by the way! awsome!

http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupations/a/aeronautical-engineer.htm#DESC

Ni Niall,

Yep, degree is accredited; aeronautical engineering from University fo Limerick

You need a positive skills assessment and meet 60 points. Points are made up of Qualifications, age, experience.

3 years relevant experience gets you 5 points where as 5 years relevant experience gets you 10 and 8 years gets you 15.

If you are short of points you can do IELTS English test to get extra points you need 4x7.0 to get 10 points and 4x8.0 for 20 points.

Irish, UK, USA and Canadian passport on their own are deemed competent for English but have a value of 0 points.

AU$630 and 6-8 weeks for your skills assessment. If you have 65+ points you will probably get an invite to apply within 2 rounds (these invite rounds occur twice a month). AU$3,520 for the visa application. Then 3-4 months for the visa to be decided. Also ~AU$400 for medicals.
    Those are the costs you will definitely incur. All as at today's date.

right so that's the bones of 3k sterling to me. doable I guess. Maybe a good investment actually seeing as it will probably get me a job very quickly.

the WHAT IF question.... $3520 for the application.... what if you're turned down!?!?! is that $3520 down the toilet!!??!

PS, I have a belgian passport.

Is there a guideline of the points breakdown available somewhere?

if i'm 27, Aeronautical degree with honours, 4-5 years experience in industry, english is my first language, etc... I'd like to figure out what my points outcome would be before submitting for an assesment.

My second Dilema is whether It would be wiser to head over on a WHV for a year and see if I can get a job/sponsorship that way; this way I could see how I get on without dropping a few grand. Although it would be more likely to get work straight away if I were to have a 189 right? My sis lives there and i've been over a couple of time and I really like it, but the WHV idea seems to give me the oppertunity what it's like to live there.

For sure, figure out whether you want to live here before applying!

Certainly easier to get a job with an unrestricted visa.

• Advertisement

right so that's the bones of 3k sterling to me. doable I guess. Maybe a good investment actually seeing as it will probably get me a job very quickly.

the WHAT IF question.... $3520 for the application.... what if you're turned down!?!?! is that $3520 down the toilet!!??!

PS, I have a belgian passport.

You would have to do IELTS then, if you are using a Belgian passport.

Even for a temporary sponsorship visa, you would have to show a score of 5.0 or higher (unless exempt). I can't post links, so go to the immi page for the 457 visa and have a root around.

You won't get the $3.5k back if the application is refused. There are lots of visa grant criteria, if you meet them all then you won't be refused!

You would have to do IELTS then, if you are using a Belgian passport.

Even for a temporary sponsorship visa, you would have to show a score of 5.0 or higher (unless exempt). I can't post links, so go to the immi page for the 457 visa and have a root around.

You won't get the $3.5k back if the application is refused. There are lots of visa grant criteria, if you meet them all then you won't be refused!

I have 70 points it seems. (assuming I get 20 in the IELTS) that seems sufficient.

I'm fairly sure I do want to live there. I have a sister in sydney and another in new zealand, so that's where my family is these days :)

okay okay, one last question...

Can I go over on a WHV (subclass 417) and after a few months, apply for a 189 while i'm in the country?

Basically, I don't want to hang about here for 4-5 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭krustycustomer

that was what I was thinking until I came across this thread.

I was planning on going to Oz on the WHV and applying for the 476 over there after a few months.

You have to leave Oz to apply for a different visa and leave Oz again to activate the new visa, 2 visa runs to NZ sounds pricey rather than waiting and avoiding the WHV at all.

okay okay, one last question...

Can I go over on a WHV (subclass 417) and after a few months, apply for a 189 while i'm in the country?

Basically, I don't want to hang about here for 4-5 months...

Yes, as long as you have an invite to apply you can then lodge an application onshore.

I was planning on going to Oz on the WHV and applying for the 476 over there after a few months.

You have to leave Oz to apply for a different visa and leave Oz again to activate the new visa, 2 visa runs to NZ sounds pricey rather than waiting and avoiding the WHV at all.

I get that you would have to leave and re-enter to activate the new visa... but why would you have to leave to apply for a different visa? you do that online anyway right?

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Yes, as long as you have an invite to apply you can then lodge an application onshore.

oh okay. I presume then that the invite will remain valid for a few months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I get that you would have to leave and re-enter to activate the new visa... but why would you have to leave to apply for a different visa? you do that online anyway right?

You can be onshore when you apply for the 189 and when its granted. I never needed to leave Australia to get my 189.

oh okay. I presume then that the invite will remain valid for a few months

Yes 60 days

for the 189 visa: "You can be in or outside Australia when you apply and when the visa is granted."

nice!

• Advertisement

so I had a look at the process involved in the 189. there is a hell of alot of bureaucracy, lead time, and cost invloved - actually the cost is relatively okay I guess.

I come to around £3000 (€3700) and about 6-9 months of waiting....

i'm starting to think i'll have to head over on a WHV, see how I like it and get the ball rolling on the 189 from there!

6-9 months. feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

I just noticed something, I wonder if anybody who has gone through the process can can clear something up for me.

my Birth Cert states: SEBASTIAN INA BOB LIEKENS
    my Passport states: SEBASTIAN INA B. LIEKENS
    my Degree states: SEBASTIAN LIEKENS
    Work contract: SEBASTIAN LIEKENS
    My police cert: SEBASTIAN INA BOB LIEKENS

feckin inconsistancy. is this a big deal or does everybody have this on their documents with middle names?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭krustycustomer

Ive no knoweldge but should be fine, there must be far worse examples of that happening (Arabic and Indian names tend to change per document, Brazilian seem to change also)

Visas are purely paperwork, when you attempt to enter the country face to face with your passport will surely be the main concern of theirs regarding name allocation.

I have a question regarding a college document, I'm graduating in July but in absentia so I doubt I'll be sent out my parchment until August, do I need a copy of the parchment to apply for a visa or would a letter from college be ok?

If i need a parchment i could prob change to attend my graduation meaning I would have the parchement in July, but tomorrow is the last day to pay to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Ive no knoweldge but should be fine, there must be far worse examples of that happening (Arabic and Indian names tend to change per document, Brazilian seem to change also)

Visas are purely paperwork, when you attempt to enter the country face to face with your passport will surely be the main concern of theirs regarding name allocation.

Um, not really. My wife recently arrived back in Australia from a trip and was questioned by immigration because her PR didn't include her middle name but her passport did. Our application paperwork for PR had our full names but this somehow didn't transfer into the system. She was instructed to get it updated otherwise it could be an issue in the future.

Advertisement