Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underwater camera depth rating

Options
  • 18-01-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Am off on a sun holiday next week :D and am planning on ding a few intro dives. Already did one last year and must say it was fantastic.

I want to take my water proof camera down with me and last year I just had a disposable underwater camera which was limited to 24 pics.

My underwater digital camera (this one) is rated to 3m but the intro dives are 6m and 10m respectively.

Is that difference likely to damage the camera? Are these ratings overly cautious? Any one any experience of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭seadeuce

Might be unwise to push the rating x3. The card would survive okay.

What part of the country are you living in?

Seadeuce

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Ah ok. Might chance it on the 6m dive and see. I've been doing some googling and it seems that the rating is for a period of time i.e. an hour or more. The dive I did last year was from the shore to 6m and back again. The majority of the time it would be around or less than the rating. Would love to be able to snap away down there. Will be doing plenty of snorkeling anyway so can get more pics that way. I'm in both Cork and Kerry. Heading to Lanzarote :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

SeaFields wrote: »
    Ah ok. Might chance it on the 6m dive and see. I've been doing some googling and it seems that the rating is for a period of time i.e. an hour or more. The dive I did last year was from the shore to 6m and back again. The majority of the time it would be around or less than the rating. Would love to be able to snap away down there. Will be doing plenty of snorkeling anyway so can get more pics that way. I'm in both Cork and Kerry. Heading to Lanzarote :D

Most dive schools take out a camera for a fee you get a DVD. Your 3m camera is only good for on the surface don't take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Cheers. best to save it for just snorkeling so. Mores the pity. :(

Advertisement