Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drill Fitter?

Options
  • 18-01-2012 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

In relation to Mining,can someone inform Me on the job description of a drill fitter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Why are you asking exactly?
    If you are qualifed to work as a drill fitter, then surely you know what it consists of.
    Of is it something you want to have a bash as?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

He is a LV mechanic and some companies will take on a LV mechanic and train them to become a Drill Fitter. There are very few trade qualified drill fitters around.

But if you are also asking for sponsorship too I don't value your odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

probably heavy duty diesel, reckon you'd be looking at experience with large hydraulic systems and possibly lifting gear/cranes. I reckon the only way to get into it would be to try and get in with Ingersoll or Bauer or some of the manufacturers as a fitter, and take it from there, or again to be connected in some way to someone already working at it and get in for some on the job training as a trades assistant or apprentice. Its not quite the same as light vehicle servicing, some of the rigs can be enormous, it just depends...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ellaq wrote: »
    He is a LV mechanic and some companies will take on a LV mechanic and train them to become a Drill Fitter. There are very few trade qualified drill fitters around.

But if you are also asking for sponsorship too I don't value your odds.

Well thats why I was asking really. If it was for migration purposes or 457, asking what it entails doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kquinn

Usually Exploration Drill rigs in the mines. You'd have to know hydraulics/gearboxes etc and be pretty switched on mechanically. You never know with some smaller companies they're willing to train the right people because they know you'll stick with them for a while

• Advertisement
Advertisement