Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin ranks as one of the world’s worst economic performers

Options
  • 18-01-2012 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

http://www.brookings.edu/info/globalmm/globalmetromonitormap.aspx

Dublin is the third worst performing city in the world trailing Athens, Greece and Lisbon, Portugal. But saying that, it was the 12th best performing city during 1993–2007. With the way the economy has gone, i think its fair to say Ireland is officially third world. Facts have to come out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Dublin is the third worst performing city in the world trailing Athens, Greece and Lisbon, Portugal. But saying that, it was the 12th best performing city during 1993–2007. With the way the economy has gone, i think its fair to say Ireland is officially third world. Facts have to come out.

Do you actually even know what third world means?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

reprazant wrote: »

Some how doubt he/she knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Razorblades

reprazant wrote: »
    Ahh, Obviously i know what third world means,

Ireland is an underdeveloped nation with poverty levels increasing. And the fact that Dublin is our capital and is among the worst performing cities in the world.

Some how doubt he/she knows!
    Oh i know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Ireland is an underdeveloped nation with poverty levels increasing. And the fact that Dublin is our capital and is among the worst performing cities in the world.

In what way is Ireland underdeveloped? We are one of the richest countries on the planet, even despite the recession. A bit of perspective would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

According to the graph, so is Tokyo.

Is Japan also a third world country?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

How can a city rank as a poor economic performer? Do they not mean Ireland? As for Dublin/Ireland being third world, what a joke. We have a crap economy, same as most of the world at the moment, but we are still a very highly developed first world country.

If it was third world OP you wouldn't be online for starters as you'd be lucky to have water or electricity never mind an internet connection!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This is what happens when wikipedia is down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Until I have to walk into O'Connell St barefoot, fill a bucket with water and carry it back on my head I will not believe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The measurements are relative to each city's position last year. Dublin is readjusting itself after a bubble. Newsflash: Dublin is still much higher in absolute terms than the Western Europe average for both income and employment, never mind third world countries

Learn to read statistics before using them

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    In what way is Ireland underdeveloped? We are one of the richest countries on the planet, even despite the recession. A bit of perspective would be good.
    Ireland is well underdeveloped, all the money goes into Dublin. Look at the roads outside of Dublin for Christ all mighty, buildings run down everywhere, 35000 empty homes. I could go on all day if i could.

Have you got a link to prove that were one of the richest countries?

Dodge wrote: »
    This is what happens when wikipedia is down
    Oh, didn't know Wikipedia is down. Mostly people just editing everything on that website anyway, nobody knows if stuff is true or not.

Gaspode wrote: »
    How can a city rank as a poor economic performer? Do they not mean Ireland? As for Dublin/Ireland being third world, what a joke. We have a crap economy, same as most of the world at the moment, but we are still a very highly developed first world country.

If it was third world OP you wouldn't be online for starters as you'd be lucky to have water or electricity never mind an internet connection!
    Put it this way, there's lots of third world countries that have electricity and water. Look at Romania or even Bulgaria and there both considered third world and they both have water and electricity. Nonsense talk out of ya

Jay D wrote: »
    Until I have to walk into O'Connell St barefoot, fill a bucket with water and carry it back on my head I will not believe you.
    You don't have to believe me, just face the facts that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Oh, didn't know Wikipedia is down. Mostly people just editing everything on that website anyway, nobody knows if stuff is true or not.

eh.. .yes they do. If you don't, then that's your problem. (clue - google nature wikipedia accuracy)

Anyways, you're as wrong as wrong can be when you compare dublin to third world countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Put it this way, there's lots of third world countries that have electricity and water. Look at Romania or even Bulgaria and there both considered third world and they both have water and electricity. Nonsense talk out of ya

Wait wait wait, who considers Romania and Bulgaria third world? Complete and utter nonsense, Romania is in the EU for fecks sake. I think you need to look up the definition of third world because what you think is third world is well wide of the mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Cool Mo D wrote: »

We most definitely are not. Our infrastructure in terms of road, rail, sea and air is less now and in poorer shape than a decade ago, excluding the few hundred km of EU and PPP motorways. We have been living off of the fumes of running in the same economic engine as the UK.

Excluding a period of time when the government could allow banks to borrow huge amounts to keep VAT and other transaction tax income flowing (around 10 years), Dublin's culture and structure with regard to governnance is a complete failure as it relies on a non-existant mothership in southern England to exist.

edanto wrote: »
    eh.. .yes they do. If you don't, then that's your problem. (clue - google nature wikipedia accuracy)

Anyways, you're as wrong as wrong can be when you compare dublin to third world countries.
    Anybody can easily go on to the Wikipedia and edit a page. Editing is opening to the public on most articles and you don't even have to register. Now if you didn't know that then theres somethings wrong. Wikipedia isn't always right

And also, the link i provided is proof so don't stir things

Wait wait wait, who considers Romania and Bulgaria third world? Complete and utter nonsense, Romania is in the EU for fecks sake. I think you need to look up the definition of third world because what you think is third world is well wide of the mark.
    This isn't much proof as the Wikipedia isn't always right but if you go onto it and search 'Third world' you'll see Bulgaria and Romania are on that list.

All you people are stupid. Face the facts. The reply's i'm getting make me laugh. I'm doing nothing but proving you all wrong, Now i go to College, i bet the people that have replied on this are uneducated. And that's my last comment, let ye twist away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

From Merriam-Webster

Definition of THIRD WORLD

1: a group of nations especially in Africa and Asia not aligned with either the Communist or the non-Communist blocs

2: an aggregate of minority groups within a larger predominant culture

3: the aggregate of the underdeveloped nations of the world

I really don't think Dublin or any county in Ireland for that matter (or country within the EU) fits into any of those three definitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

This isn't much proof as the Wikipedia isn't always right but if you go onto it and search 'Third world' you'll see Bulgaria and Romania are on that list.

Is this some sort of troll because wikipedia is unavailable? It is easy enough to get onto though, I've looked on the third world article and even the map that shows the way countries were designated during the Cold war era Bulgaria and Romania aren't third world. I really hope this is a Troll, if you really think Ireland or even Bulgaria/Romania are third world you need some education on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

All you people are stupid. Face the facts. The reply's i'm getting make me laugh. I'm doing nothing but proving you all wrong, Now i go to College, i bet the people that have replied on this are uneducated.

Should spend a little more time in the college there child, not spouting rubbish to try and impress the grownups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

dissed doc wrote: »
    We most definitely are not. Our infrastructure in terms of road, rail, sea and air is less now and in poorer shape than a decade ago, excluding the few hundred km of EU and PPP motorways. We have been living off of the fumes of running in the same economic engine as the UK.

This is complete and utter rubbish.

Let us start with rail. A decade ago there was no Luas, as the first line opened in 2004. Apart from the two original lines (Sandyford to Stephen's Green and Tallaght to Connolly), we have had three extensions, to Citywest, to the Point and to Cherrywood. In heavy rail, we have seen the opening of the Docklands station with better commuter services to Maynooth as well as a spur line to M3/Dunboyne. Mainline rail has seen clockface journeys (e.g. every hour to Cork, etc.) while the line as far as Hazelhatch has been four-tracked. In Cork, we have seen the extension of commuter services to Middleton. All of this is in the last decade.

Air: Terminal 2 at Dublin Airport has opened and there has been an upgrade to the terminal in Cork. Given we only have three proper airports, seeing upgrades in two is not bad in a decade.

Sea: There is little passenger traffic by sea so the focus should be on freight and other movements. http://www.dublinport.ie/about-dublin-port/new-development/ see link for developments in 2010 and 2011 in Dublin Port alone, let alone developments in other ports or over the rest of the last decade.

Road: I see you have conceded that we have lots of motorways (we actually built more new motorway km per head of population over the last ten years than just about anyone else) but there have been plenty of other projects such as relief roads around smaller towns etc.

Our infrastructure is vastly improved over a decade ago and during that time-period it improved at a faster rate than anywhere else. I know they only prioritised it to suit their builder friends but it is just about the only thing that the FF governments can take credit for.

Now you can argue that it is a case of a lot done, more to do, or that our communications, education and health infrastructure need a lot of investment but your statement that "our infrastructure in terms of road, rail, sea and air is less now and in poorer shape than a decade ago" does not hold water. Think again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Can people actually be as thick as this??? :confused::confused:

Razorblades, I hope for your own sake that you're trolling because if not, the world must baffle you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

troll thread is trollish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement