Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDC vs BDO Debate

• 18-01-2012 3:59pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Here is a fresh thread for the PDC vs BDO debate which seems to be raging at the moment.

Keep it clean though people.

I think the general consensus that the BDo is a feeding ground for the PDC is a right one and the PDC is a far better organisation. it does have it's faults though such as the rowdy crowds but the standard of darts is better, the money is better, the tour is better, the TV coverage is better and it's clealry the top level of darts. if you want to be considered as one of the greats you need to ply your trade in the PDC.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

obviously the PDC is better.

you have the ability for all the players to be full-time, practice as a full-time job, and basically dedicate themselves completely to the profession.

in the BDO, only the absolute elite can actually even think of doing that, hence the lower quality.

it's not rocket science.

i love the BDO though. you genuinely get to see the stars of the future. if we can look at a football analogy, it's like the Carling Cup. you see some of the stars of the future in that competition much of the time, and it's the same with the BDO. and for that reason, some people love it.

also, i wouldn't ever slag off the BDO. it is a vital organisation in the progress of Darts as a sport. who knows if we'd have had Barney, Webster, King, Whitlock and the like without it's existence, and hence some of the greatest matches of all time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

There is no debate,

PDC - Better players
    BDO - Real Dart fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

the BDO is real darts, the PDC is a sky sports sponsored gimmick

I think the PDC has better players, but both have greats. I'm starting to find the Sky hype, the dancing girls, the crowd reaction...I dunno...there is something a bit tacky about the package being sold by the PDC. One might validly argue that that's elitism and darts really isn't the place for that anyway. Plus I accept that the PDC is a ratings juggernaut, so it works for many, and the money they have generated has helped them recruit the better BDO players.

It seems to me that the BDO don't have a clue though, they could capitalise on the fact that more watch the BBC and start taking the fight on instead of sticking their head in the sand and pretending there is no opposition at all, and relying on little more than loyalty to retain their best players.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Yea and the blue square conference is where the real football is.
    That premier league lark is just a sky sports sponsored gimmick. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Topless darts was the best

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭thedivil

BDO is a breeding ground for PDC.The young lads are being told to start in BDO because they will get the experience and will find it easier than starting with the PDC.As soon as they do well in BDO they usually switch to the PDC where they can better themselves and compete for the money thats up for grabs.
    BDO has all the history of the game but should just either join up or give in to the PDC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

BDO - A handful of top class players. Genuine supporters. Also run Darts at County level. That reason alone is why it should last.

PDC - A lot more top quality players with a handful who could live on darts alone. Others can live off sponsership deals and exhibitions which are generally aimed towards PDC players. The crowds are generally terrible, and are there for a good night out.

I support both organisations at the end of the day. It's like the Premier League and the League of Ireland. The Premier League's standard is light years ahead, but I'd still watch the LoI.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

celticbest wrote: »
    There is no debate,

PDC - Better players
    BDO - Real Dart fans

I don't get what you mean by real darts fans. Granted there is a huge amount of absolute idiots who go to the PDC tournaments, I should know because I go over to the Worlds every year, but that doesn't mean that there aren't genuine darts fans that watch the PDC. Real darts fans watch both organisations, casual fans or event junkies tend to only watch the PDC.

Again I don't understand this. Of course the PDC is "Sky Sponsored", it enables to have so many top tournaments, play the players top money and thus attract the best players. Unfortunately you get bad things along with this such as the bad crowds. The call the BDO "Real Darts" though is living wrong and means you're living in the 80's. Neither is more "real" than the other.
    I think the PDC has better players, but both have greats. I'm starting to find the Sky hype, the dancing girls, the crowd reaction...I dunno...there is something a bit tacky about the package being sold by the PDC. One might validly argue that that's elitism and darts really isn't the place for that anyway. Plus I accept that the PDC is a ratings juggernaut, so it works for many, and the money they have generated has helped them recruit the better BDO players.

It seems to me that the BDO don't have a clue though, they could capitalise on the fact that more watch the BBC and start taking the fight on instead of sticking their head in the sand and pretending there is no opposition at all, and relying on little more than loyalty to retain their best players.

I agree with most of this (surprise surprise) and Sky have taken it too far with the dancing girls and the chewbacca walk ons. I hate how they big up the Premier League which is by far my least favourite tournament. None of this is the PDC's fault though, I would imagine it's purely down to sky who want to get more people watching and the PDC give in to this as sky pay the big bucks. One thing is for sure though, something needs to be done about the crowds. A little more throwing people out that act the bollix is needed.

The BDO need a complete overhaul of it's board, out with all the old cronies including Martin Adams and bring some people with fresh ideas who can bring the organisation into the present day because they are still living in the 80's. They are vital to the sport of darts by bringing through the vast majority of the new players so they need to sort themselves out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

New thread so I suppose maybe approach from a different angle

Darts is currently Sky's second highest rated sport, behind the premiership

Higher viewership (here's the different angle) also mean alot more people betting on it - this leads to a greater amount of sponsorship - it's no coincidence that Ladbrokes, 888, etc seem to be the headline sponsor on most of the PDC run televised events!

The BDO simply needs more televised tournaments - the advent of 1000 channels makes this so much easier for them than it was in the 80's when they had the masters cancelled on them on ITV - ITV now have four bloody channells and have been showing some darts tournaments again - ESPN is the way forward too - BBC despite having 4 channells as well is a huge part of the problem - their coverage of pretty much all sport is terrible (Snooker masters coverage right now is a midnight event as well)

So getting back to point, if the BDO embraced TV a little more for it's top members, it would pull in a lot more sponsors, more money for players - they could easily be every bit as big and popular as the PDC!

If they did this a few years ago they'd still have Barney, King, Webster, Whitlock and Anderson - the PDC would be ****ed only for what has defected since 2007!

Also with more and more players upping their game and fighting for tour cards, you will see alot more players, having to return to BDO - and what may look like say 'relegation' to a lower division, could easily return the BDO to every bit as good as the PDC (moneywise)

Boxing - the other classic one v one sport - has it's WBO, WBC, IBF etc - wouldn't darts be far healthier if the PDC and BDO went back to an almost equal footing circa 2005 with more events like the Grand Slam and more Open events being held??

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

New thread so I suppose maybe approach from a different angle

Darts is currently Sky's second highest rated sport, behind the premiership

Higher viewership (here's the different angle) also mean alot more people betting on it - this leads to a greater amount of sponsorship - it's no coincidence that Ladbrokes, 888, etc seem to be the headline sponsor on most of the PDC run televised events!

The BDO simply needs more televised tournaments - the advent of 1000 channels makes this so much easier for them than it was in the 80's when they had the masters cancelled on them on ITV - ITV now have four bloody channells and have been showing some darts tournaments again - ESPN is the way forward too - BBC despite having 4 channells as well is a huge part of the problem - their coverage of pretty much all sport is terrible (Snooker masters coverage right now is a midnight event as well)

So getting back to point, if the BDO embraced TV a little more for it's top members, it would pull in a lot more sponsors, more money for players - they could easily be every bit as big and popular as the PDC!

If they did this a few years ago they'd still have Barney, King, Webster, Whitlock and Anderson - the PDC would be ****ed only for what has defected since 2007!

Also with more and more players upping their game and fighting for tour cards, you will see alot more players, having to return to BDO - and what may look like say 'relegation' to a lower division, could easily return the BDO to every bit as good as the PDC (moneywise)

Boxing - the other classic one v one sport - has it's WBO, WBC, IBF etc - wouldn't darts be far healthier if the PDC and BDO went back to an almost equal footing circa 2005 with more events like the Grand Slam and more Open events being held??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

The PDC and BDO fans are one and the same. theres no more real darts fans in the BDO, theres just less idiots who are there for a piss up. Thats a huge difference.

The gulf has widened if people dont wanna look at averages, I suggest they watch the games. Its rarely someone bottles a big number in the PDC as often as in the BDO although it happens on occasion. There was a huge gulf in 180s throughout both and 100+ checkouts.

The BDO is great viewing but it really is like watching championship as opposed to Premier League football, neither are bad and sometimes its better to watch the weaker competition for entertainment but the cream is at the top. Except of course Adams (fantastic player) who will be quite happy to become 10 time world champion when all thats left at Lakeside is himself and 31 blind monkeys with no arms.

You can enjoy both for what they are. Admire both for what they are. Just because the current BDO isn't as good as the PDC doesn't mean the players there are **** either.

To go back to the champ and perm, its like watching the difference between Championship and Prem, both are far superior to your average football league both are made up of great teams. Just teams in one are greater than the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Adams wont win another World title imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

PDC - Premier League
    BDO - Championship

Simples.

PS that is my opinion and kingpin i'm not trolling :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

mdwexford wrote: »
    Adams wont win another World title imo.

He'll win alot more if the BDO stays divorced from the PDC, there just isn't enough quality in the BDO tournament to consistently beat him year in and year out now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

The difference?

PDC run by slick professionals
    BDO run by fossils.

Therein lies a massive difference

If they did join, who's cup would they use:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

pdc has the best players in the world, the best coverage and do the sport justice. the pdc is better run and with the world youth championships is looking to create a stepping stone for the best young players to develop.

the bdo is the grassroots of the game, has the tradition i.e. lakeside. it should be kept going but they need to get their act together. their treatment of players i.e. hankey who looked to go to the pdc and anastacia was disgraceful. the bdo have the opportunity through espn to get more televised tournaments.

Syferus wrote: »
    He'll win alot more if the BDO stays divorced from the PDC, there just isn't enough quality in the BDO tournament to consistently beat him year in and year out now.

He's getting on a bit now.

There will always be up and coming players capable of averaging 80-90 who will be fitter, hungrier and still have good eyesight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭shockframe

Of course in terms of the modern era the pdc is more glamorous and has done wonders for the game but I still could never say that it is light years ahead of the BDO in terms of overall quality of player.

To those who say that the PDC is the premier league and BDO the conference the comparison should be the premier league and serie a.Both have good and bad points but still capable of excellence.

If the PDC were beating 7-0 in head to head matches they may have a point but as seen from the gsod and other tournaments no gulf in class exists other than taylor.Even players I wouldnt have rated highly such as martin philips went on to beat adrian lewis last year before the 2-in-row which is like the 10th best BDO player beating possibly the 3rd/4th best PDC player.you could also say the same of mark walsh beating winstanley in the last GSOD.

I can remember in 2007 when the PDC went to town on the BDO after the barney-taylor final with the usual pub darts.low averages,wouldnt make the last 16 of the PDC mocking but yet 3 years later the PDC came very close to a repeat of the 2008 lakeside final only for taylor beating webster.throw in gary anderson making the 2011 final and the supposed difference is not what it is made out to be.

I dont see that players have to raise their game moving to the PDC.if you are a good player in the BDO you are more than likely going to be a good player in the PDC.some dont just become better players when they switch, especially those playing for over 15-20 years.

I like both sets of codes but i am annoyed by skys over the top coverage and the bdos lack of progression.overall though I might be in the minority but I look forward to the ally pally and lakeside equally every year with a slight favourtism towards the lakeside as I have grown up with it.

just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

shockframe wrote: »
    Of course in terms of the modern era the pdc is more glamorous and has done wonders for the game but I still could never say that it is light years ahead of the BDO in terms of overall quality of player.

To those who say that the PDC is the premier league and BDO the conference the comparison should be the premier league and serie a.Both have good and bad points but still capable of excellence.

If the PDC were beating 7-0 in head to head matches they may have a point but as seen from the gsod and other tournaments no gulf in class exists other than taylor.Even players I wouldnt have rated highly such as martin philips went on to beat adrian lewis last year before the 2-in-row which is like the 10th best BDO player beating possibly the 3rd/4th best PDC player.you could also say the same of mark walsh beating winstanley in the last GSOD.

I can remember in 2007 when the PDC went to town on the BDO after the barney-taylor final with the usual pub darts.low averages,wouldnt make the last 16 of the PDC mocking but yet 3 years later the PDC came very close to a repeat of the 2008 lakeside final only for taylor beating webster.throw in gary anderson making the 2011 final and the supposed difference is not what it is made out to be.

I dont see that players have to raise their game moving to the PDC.if you are a good player in the BDO you are more than likely going to be a good player in the PDC.some dont just become better players when they switch, especially those playing for over 15-20 years.

I like both sets of codes but i am annoyed by skys over the top coverage and the bdos lack of progression.overall though I might be in the minority but I look forward to the ally pally and lakeside equally every year with a slight favourtism towards the lakeside as I have grown up with it.

just my 2 cents.

I would be incline to agree with u there but the pdc has better quality imo. but having said that i enjoy both codes and believe this years bdo final was better than the pdc one. prob cos i had money on o shea to get to the final.:D

But one thing thats annoying me is this constant debate about which one is better. does it really matter.
    I enjoy a good game of darts weather in the pub or on tv and i think any real darts fans would agree with me

You are both wrong.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

mdwexford wrote: »
    You are both wrong.

Hope this helps.

so am i wrong to have an opinion or wrong that i enjoy a good game of darts no matter what d standard.

You can have both of those.

I was going to say you are wrong if you think the BDO final was better than the PDC but it was excitement wise I guess.

I withdraw my previous comment. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

the PDC is undoubtebly the best quality of darts and players, there's good players in the BDO but everyone apart from Adams will defect due to the money thats available.

Does anyone think the BDO diminishes itself as a world organisation by having "British" in its name instead something more global or inclusive? i know the PDC was once the WDC and had to change name

Dotsey wrote: »
    Does anyone think the BDO diminishes itself as a world organisation by having "British" in its name instead something more global or inclusive? i know the PDC was once the WDC and had to change name

Is it not part of the World Darts Federation?

I appreciate they use the "World" in describing their premier competition, but guess they do invite players from all countries, and that's not unusual in sports for one organisation to apply that word. In the USA every champion of their domestic league is the "World Champion"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

this year at a guess the pdc had the bones of 20 different countries at the worlds, the bdo had 4 i think?

Advertisement