Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coarse fish on the liffey,

Options
  • 18-01-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon

Ive just moved into apts on conyngham road with gardens that back onto the liffey. I just wondering would it be to close to the sea for coarse fish and if so what should i be looking to catch from there during the spring summer evenings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

is that around Islandbridge? Theres good course fishing up around the war memorial park there. I've caught some sizeable perch there in years gone by

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

There are some coarse fish at the Conyngham Road stretch.
    Also some seatrout and slob trout.
    Remember it is closed as a salmon fishery.
    But there are more mullet during summer. These would give a better fight and size.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Thanks lads the stretch out the back of the apartments looks like a handy place for after work fishing in the spring summer months. I spotted a couple of decent sized mullet coming up on the tide at the weekend. I think ill deff try up around memorial park for the perch and bream

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Do try it
    Keep an eye out for illegal fishing too and report to the ifi
    Since the closure there are no eyes an ears on that tidal stretch.......
    oppiuy wrote: »
    Thanks lads the stretch out the back of the apartments looks like a handy place for after work fishing in the spring summer months. I spotted a couple of decent sized mullet coming up on the tide at the weekend. I think ill deff try up around memorial park for the perch and bream

Do i need to join a club or pay a day ticket to fish the liffy around that area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

No, coarse fishing is free, as is sea fishing, you would only need a license if fishing for trout

21/25

Cool. Well once March is upon us i let you know how hi get on course fish wise.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Do i need to join a club or pay a day ticket to fish the liffy around that area?

From Islandbridge weir upstream to the top of Memorial Park is free to fish.
    From the top of Memorial Park upstream is Chapelizod AA, and Private, (closed for salmon, but private for any other species too)
    The bottom of memorial is Islandbridge weir, and the weir and all the water downstream to Parliament Street Bridge, including behind the apartments at Conyngham Road is managed by Dublin & District Salmon Anglers Assoc. It's more a trout club than a salmon club.
    Therefore you would be fishing in the club water if you fish there.
    I think they would not prevent coarse fishing, or fishing for mullet, but fishing without asking first is not recommended.
    Some regulations cross over between game and coarse.
    Worms for example would be illegal there.

Fishing with bread derived baits for mullet can not be misconstrued, and would be effective for them. But I'd still call the DSAA secretary and ask first.
    The contact details would be available on IFI website or in Rory's fishing tackle where they have the club cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Cool. Well once March is upon us i let you know how hi get on course fish wise.
    you don't need to wait till march, there is no off season for coarse fishing.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1 fflloorr

Have you caught any fish on that stretch? I've just moved in the Bellevue apt and it's very handy to fish there but for that I would need to purchase a license and it's 30 euros for the year and it would be great to hear if you caught something before buying it. :)

Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement