Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redfly Mobile Dock - any alternative product?

Options
  • 18-01-2012 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

Hi. I am interested in getting my hands on this.

I just wondered if there is a similar product out there?

What I want the ability to do - is really harness the power of the smartphone so that I can knock out emails very very quickly and easily. I'm currently doing this at the moment using a Toshiba TG01 - which is one of the few phones that allows hookup to a usb keyboard (i say usb here - not bluetooth).

However, to have full screen access would be very useful.

I'm also wondering if there is a product i.e. a switch - that can make the switching back and forth (that's the scenario i'm in - monitor currently used with a desktop - I would need to switch back and over between the two) between connecting the vga cable to the desktop - to the smartphone - back to the desktop.......on an ongoing basis???

Alternatively, perhaps there is a very very small tablet that could be used - that has usb on-the-go functionality - that I could use (as screen size would be sufficient to do the job)? IF I did find a tablet that fit the bill, could I use a sim with it - for data/internet access - at the same rate as it would be on mobile??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The n8 can have a hdmi out and a usb connected at the same time. If you have a monitor that can take a hdmi then it might be an option for you without buying extra kit. You can get a brand new sim free one for roughly €230

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Davy wrote: »
    The n8 can have a hdmi out and a usb connected at the same time. If you have a monitor that can take a hdmi then it might be an option for you without buying extra kit.
    Thanks for that - appreciate the info. However, it's a situational thing that I don't have any direct control over (i.e. I can't change the monitor)....and there is no hdmi input.

Do any of the smaller tablets (i.e. ones similar in size to that of the kindle fire) on the market that can take a sim card - and that they (vodafone et all) would still charge 'mobile/phone internet access on??
    if so, do any of these have the ability to connect to a usb keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Thanks for that - appreciate the info. However, it's a situational thing that I don't have any direct control over (i.e. I can't change the monitor)....and there is no hdmi input.

Do any of the smaller tablets (i.e. ones similar in size to that of the kindle fire) on the market that can take a sim card - and that they (vodafone et all) would still charge 'mobile/phone internet access on??
    if so, do any of these have the ability to connect to a usb keyboard?

Not that im aware off. Nearly all use bluetooth for keyboard function. If you bought.

To over the come the VGA problem, you could use something to convert the hdmi to vga, either adapter or cable. One example:>http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8M-HDMI-Male-Converter-Cable/dp/B0048DOZTW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1326918245&sr=8-2

Advertisement