Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Calf having difficulty breathing

• 18-01-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

I have a calf that intermittently heaves to breathe. 6 weeks old, no temp, eats fine and otherwise healthy.
    Seems to be worse when eating. Sticks tongue out and is really caught for breath. Like feed getting stuck in throat. Scary to watch.
    Any ideas/suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    I have a calf that intermittently heaves to breathe. 6 weeks old, no temp, eats fine and otherwise healthy.
    Seems to be worse when eating. Sticks tongue out and is really caught for breath. Like feed getting stuck in throat. Scary to watch.
    Any ideas/suggestions?
    my suggestion= your vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

A good suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

is it a belgian blue calf??

No. British Freisian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

saw a calf with something like that before i think its a throat infection(not joking).sometimes a course of antibiotics cures it but sucess rates are not good

• Advertisement

leg wax wrote: »
    my suggestion= your vet.

As leg wax suggested, vet was called last night.
    Bloomin' calf has emphysema, despite no previous signs of pneumonia.
    Treatment commenced, outlook positive.
    Thanks for the prompt!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    As leg wax suggested, vet was called last night.
    Bloomin' calf has emphysema, despite no previous signs of pneumonia.
    Treatment commenced, outlook positive.
    Thanks for the prompt!:)
    i think its very easy to call a vet now if in doubt,why you may ask ,look at what they are worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ddogsbollix

ya we had a calf with that before sort of belgian blue calves because of the myosatin gene there tongues can enlarge causing it difficulty to breath they are also born with a lineing of the lungs missing and a small heart compared to other continental breeds so if your ever wondering why belgian calves are so lazy thats the reason-cant get enough oxygen around the body.

but im glad your calf is ok its nice to here good stories on this aside from bad ones:D

ya we had a calf with that before sort of belgian blue calves because of the myosatin gene there tongues can enlarge causing it difficulty to breath they are also born with a lineing of the lungs missing and a small heart compared to other continental breeds so if your ever wondering why belgian calves are so lazy thats the reason-cant get enough oxygen around the body.

but im glad your calf is ok its nice to here good stories on this aside from bad ones:D

He's not saved yet (then again, few of us are:)) but Vet thinks he'll live.
    Never knew that re BB's. Have a couple and while they are great to thrive, they are "soft" compared with my usual AA/BF cross. Now I know why! Thanks.

Advertisement