Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a gift that is made in Limerick

• 18-01-2012 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions please.

I'm looking for a gift for someone - I'm prepared to pay roughly €50 - €100 or so. I'd like something that was made locally. And something that can be wrapped and given to someone by hand rather than something big. I want something impersonal rather than cosmetics or stuff like that.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

best bet would be head to the market I'd say... Over the christmas I've seen cast iron candlesticks, carved bowls and mirrors, handmade candles and soaps. of course you could also make up a hamper of some nice local cheeses, jams chutney and meats if you headed down there sat morn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ponaire Coffee is Limerick roasted(not Limerick made per se)

Adare farm foods has a good selection of products along with The Creamery in Adare. Some locally produced items in there.

I cannot think of any crafts in Limerick other than the place on William Lenas Sewing and Knitting Centre. They have items there which they make themselves(not many mind you) and can put any message on any item they sell as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Not Limerick but not a million miles away either - Ballymorris Pottery?

There was also an artisit that did pencil sketches of Limerick scenes - Fitzgerald but I cant remember her first name.

There's a guy up in one of the market shops that has a gallery with some Limerick scenes, he a poster over on the photography forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Photos of limerick?

Elalgallery in the milk market (between the moody cow and the new cafe) good few shots of limerick, all printed there and framed any size you like :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Photos of limerick?

Elalgallery in the milk market (between the moody cow and the new cafe) good few shots of limerick, all printed there and framed any size you like :)

That's the place I was talking about in my post, he has nice stuff but I have no idea of his prices.

• Advertisement

Prices vary:

3 Mounted 6x4's for €10
    Framed pics starting at €35 going up to about €90ish AFAIR, except the Lumilla's (Limited eddition archival prints, not done by him) which I'm not sure about.

They are open ever Friday, Saturday & Sunday. I've actually got a few limerick shots up there too, so I could even be if you drop by! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Thanks everyone, the ideas are wonderful.

Its a keepsake present so the Photos are something to investigate, even though the foodstuffs sound fabulous.

I'll pop in on Sunday - I don't think I'm brave enough to battle through the crowds on Saturday.

I really appreciate your help.

Well, Saturday, it isn't as busy then you may think it would be! Well, at least for the last few weeks from what I've seen when I was down and about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Worked in the Market area for years and the January/early Feb markets aren't usually too crazy, even at busy times of the year if you wait till about 1pm to head down there you will avoid most of the crowds.

On a side note how about some Limerick Lace, famous and traditional and idigenous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Not in Limerick but out the road in Shannon.

I've got silver pendants/tie pins made with the Treaty Stone from there.
    All made in the workshop in the shop and reasonable priced.

http://www.gleesongoldsmiths.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

again not Limerick per se, Bunratty Mead
    http://homepage.tinet.ie/~bunrattywinery/
    meaddec.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    again not Limerick per se, Bunratty Mead
    http://homepage.tinet.ie/~bunrattywinery/
    meaddec.jpg

Off-topic, I know, but to what part of Bunratty should one go to get that?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You can get it in the tourist shop in Bunratty as well as in the Airport for definite and you often see it in off licenses around the place, haven't seen it in years though, I had an unmerciful hangover from the stuff years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

I don't know where you would get it now but if you could pick up some Irish Dresden which was made in Dromcollogher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

i was made in limerick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Icky Thump wrote: »
    i was made in limerick
    Karl, c'mere I wantcha! How are all the Spains out in Corbally and Shannonbanks pal? I knew I reckanised ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

there's a shop beside Pier|One they'd a beautiful painting/canvas print of Richard Harris in there one day, maybe check that place out? it's called something River like "beside the River"? I forgot lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Off-topic, I know, but to what part of Bunratty should one go to get that?

The bunratty winery is situated about 250m up the road from the entrance to the bunratty folkpark. It's where the bunratty mead and poitin are made. It's owned and run by oliver dillon and his wife alma. Good people from cappamore, co. limerick. Well worth a visit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Clareman wrote: »
    You can get it in the tourist shop in Bunratty as well as in the Airport for definite and you often see it in off licenses around the place, haven't seen it in years though, I had an unmerciful hangover from the stuff years ago.
    The Dagda wrote: »
    The bunratty winery is situated about 250m up the road from the entrance to the bunratty folkpark. It's where the bunratty mead and poitin are made. It's owned and run by oliver dillon and his wife alma. Good people from cappamore, co. limerick. Well worth a visit.

Thanks very much! I'll pop out tomorrow afternoon. Need a bottle of something special for a friend's birthday this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Not sure if you are still looking, but I came across this locally and thought of this thread.

http://www.artannemarie.com/shop/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The Dagda wrote: »

Have to say that their mead is lovely.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Have to say that their mead is lovely.

This man speaks the truth! The poitín isn't bad either. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Thanks everyone so much. I tried to get into that photo shop last weekend but it was closed when I arrived and this weekend was a bit manic so I'm going to go in next weekend.

The Annemarie Bourke site is WICKED. Love it for ME, not anyone else lol!!

Unfortunately this person doesn't drink..... But yes, I've had the mead on occasion and its nice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

This man speaks the truth! The poitín isn't bad either. :pac:

Have had better to be honest. I think the best poitín is always the stuff that you can drink but that can also be used to fuel your car when needed. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

this is pure Limerick, based in Sarsfield Street across from Debenhams

http://www.limerickprintmakers.com/

Advertisement