Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy riding hat?

Options
  • 18-01-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Hi all, as the title says I'm looking to buy a riding hat. Just looking to find out where I could get one as cheap as possible, willing to order online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

Dont buy online, you need to make sure it fits properly.

Can you drive to a saddlery? or do you need somewhere on a bus route?

Do you have a price limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

Dont buy online, you need to make sure it fits properly.

Can you drive to a saddlery? or do you need somewhere on a bus route?

Do you have a price limit?

It would need to be on a bus route as I don't drive :( If there are very good deals somewhere off the bus routes I could try and sort a lift out.

Price limit is as cheap as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kens

Where are you based PG ?
    Your hat is probably one of the few things you shouldnt scrimp on its literally a life saver You would really need to try on several hat to get the right one as each hat fits differently, kids hats are usually cheaper & come in adult sizes :0)

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

I've seen them in Tesco Extra stores nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

When buying, make sure the hat fits your properly - it could cause serious injury if it isn't. Also, you need to make sure that it's fully approved and has the proper safety number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Look up where the nearest Equipet is to you online, they have a big range of riding gear in their stores.

Thanks for the advice. I'm based in dublin..

Any recommendations on types/brands of hats and where in dublin to get them?
    As I've said somewhere on a bus route would be best, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33 taceistagam

If you want to do cross country jumping at any stage you should make sure that you get a skull cap hat with EN 1384 + kite mark or PAS 015 + kite mark and also Beta level 3 with purple label back protector because as far as I know these are compulsory if you plan on doing cross country jumping.

I totally agree with other posters here that it is an item worth investing in! If you are only starting back riding it is likely that the riding school will have spare hats for you to use.

Thanks for the advice :) not going into anything like showjumping, starting as a pure hobby !

Also I know the yards will have spare hats, I just don't feel very comfortable using a hat that had been used by numerous other people that week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

PlayGirl wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice :) not going into anything like showjumping, starting as a pure hobby !

Also I know the yards will have spare hats, I just don't feel very comfortable using a hat that had been used by numerous other people that week

Ah, but that's where you're wrong :D. You'll start that way but it will get a hold on you and you'll find yourself wanting to do more and more!

I bet you'll end up going galloping through the fields and going over ditches at some stage :D.

I wouldn't trust the school hats either as they are bound to have taken a few knocks here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kens

PG there are a few places on or near bus routes Horseworld in Maynooth Colemans in Sandyford & Goodwins Mulhuddart I'm sure there are others these are just the ones I know of !

I know starting out riding is an expensive hobby but it does become very addicitive in a short space of time :D dont scrimp on your hat & get it professionally fitted go for the one that fits you best rather than the cheapest as you are going to be in a longtime & hat headaches are no fun my hat is a champion junior its up to code & cost about €50 so it didnt break the bank ~ manufacturers say hats "should" be replaced if dropped or if you have a fall so mind it well

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Second hand helmets are not a good idea, you don't know if the previous owner has fallen and possibly damaged it. Buying a hat online not great idea either, you need to make sure it's a proper fit.

I'm in wexford town for the day, does anyone know if South East Equestrian on henrietta st is still open? The numbers I got for it off google don't seem to be working. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I have a feeling that one is closed since last year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

colman's of sandyford is accessible by bus. That would be a good place to go.

fits wrote: »
    I have a feeling that one is closed since last year :(
    Damn, any other places in the town?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Might be a little late, but there's a place called Kileens. Here's their facebook page, which has the address: http://www.facebook.com/killeensequestrianstore#!/killeensequestrianstore?sk=info

convert wrote: »
    Might be a little late, but there's a place called Kileens. Here's their facebook page, which has the address: http://www.facebook.com/killeensequestrianstore#!/killeensequestrianstore?sk=info
    Thanks very much, I'm not familiar with wexford, is that in the town?

Edit: Just phoned them, they said their hats (charles owen) are €75 up, seems very expensive.
    Thanks for the help though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

PlayGirl wrote: »
    Thanks very much, I'm not familiar with wexford, is that in the town?

Edit: Just phoned them, they said their hats (charles owen) are €75 up, seems very expensive.
    Thanks for the help though :)

75 euro is very cheap for a hat! Bones heal brains don't.

75 euro is very cheap for a hat! Bones heal brains don't.

Realised that :o Ended up buying one today, thanks for the recommendations and advice everyone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Any Horze Retailer sells a hat at €26 EN1384 and CE approved and the next one up is €50 with same certs. Unless eventing or pony club you dont need safety certs beyond these. I think they are the cheapest in the country?

Eoghan

Advertisement