Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadcasting charge

• 18-01-2012 6:04pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭

May I inquire options on this?

"
    A Department of Communications working group has concluded that a household broadcasting charge to replace the TV licence fee “is a viable model’’, the Dáil has been told.

Minister for Communications Pat Rabbitte told the House this afternoon that technological change meant fewer people were watching on traditional TV sets, with young people using other devices to access broadcasting.

“The current funding model is not sustainable in the long run,” said Mr Rabbitte.
    "
    http://www.irishtimes.com

On one hand, it will boost revenue and catch people who avoid the current TV tax.
    On the other, it supports RTE - which might be a luxury in these recessionary times.

My own issue is how they mean to collect the data to show the households access the non-traditional media.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

This government need the boot.. Their doing more damage then FF what a load of bull ****.. So what about old people who don't have a tv what u think they haves smart phone at hand and what about the blind ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

So a tax to keep that dinosaur RTE going with their overinflated salaries and sense of importance. So much for change with this new crowd...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Manach wrote: »
    My own issue is how they mean to collect the data to show the households access the non-traditional media.

They don't need to. In the words of Rabbite:
    The Communications Minister has revealed that he is considering introducing a new broadcasting charge, which would apply to every household - whether they have a television or not.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/minister-considering-broadcasting-charge-whether-you-have-a-tv-or-not-536421.html

Everyone pays, now that's unjust nevermind the good arguments about the bloated RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

madness. I don't have a tv, I don't use rte or any of its services and I will refuse to pay a cent towards it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

forfuxsake wrote: »
    madness. I don't have a tv, I don't use rte or any of its services and I will refuse to pay a cent towards it.
    who then will pay to overpaid RTE staff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Few enough people do not have a TV. The service is available for them, not everyone avails of every service. Philistines cannot refuse to fund museums or West Brits refuse to fund Irish language road signs. People without children cannot refuse to pay for schools or people who never use buses to refuse to fund CIE.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Minister for Communications Pat Rabbitte told the House this afternoon that technological change meant fewer people were watching on traditional TV sets, with young people using other devices to access broadcasting

And you can be pretty sure they're not catching up on the latest episode of Fair City on the RTE Player.

Sure why not go the whole hog and make everyone pay motor tax, whether they have a car or not? Or force everyone to buy a dog licence, even if you're a cat lover? It's a major achievement to make yourself look more farcical than the last government, but this lot are giving it a fair go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Folks...
    This is just another revenue generator for the government coffers...

Did anyone seriously think that FG/Labour would come in and not start introducing/increasing charges where ever they could ??

Thing is it's allot easier to cut education/health/infrastructure spending, and increase/introduce every possible charge.... What they need to work on is getting folks working than taxing us to death..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

last time there was a television in our house was 2003. I watched dvds from the library and video store on the PC for some years until broadband was fast enough to be able to watch stuff online. I watch Documentary Heaven daily online, also the National Geographic and Vimeo have great films. I used to watch 4OD until it became unavailable in the ROI, and any radio I listen to are international stations online, or Newstalk when Im driving, although I like John Creedon's radio show on RTE1. I watch RTE down in the pub if Ireland are playing an international rugby or soccar match, and thats about it.

They can go and hump if they think Im forking out for their broadcast fee

ardmacha wrote: »
    Few enough people do not have a TV. The service is available for them, not everyone avails of every service. Philistines cannot refuse to fund museums or West Brits refuse to fund Irish language road signs. People without children cannot refuse to pay for schools or people who never use buses to refuse to fund CIE.

Jesus has this country become so culturally illiterate that you are comparing TV to museums and schools? I use neither but appreciate the need for both and see them, along with public transport, as vital to the nation.

You say that few enough people do not have a TV yet you fail to recognise the irony of then suggesting that their is a reason why those few should pay for your mindless 'entertainment'.

Furthermore if RTE was a true public service broadcaster I wouldn't feel so aggrieved but it has become a rebroadcaster of British and American rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I used to watch 4OD until it became unavailable in the ROI

You still can the last time I checked?

Zaph wrote: »
    Sure why not go the whole hog and make everyone pay motor tax, whether they have a car or not?

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

Just stop the public subsidy to RTE. Channel taxpayers money to Irish Production companies if you need to support indigenous media types. Broadcast mediums, radio and TV have been supported by the state for years - more than enough time to get their act together and make money. If they can't do it by now then they haven't worked. Out of all of RTE's productions - what would you really need to keep? I agree we need locally produced content - I don't see why we need a whole national broadcast organisation to facilitate that in this day and age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't have an issue with the charge but I do think the TV station RTE, should be privatized.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Fergus

If the minister is worried about 'young people' accessing 'broadcasting' via the internet without paying for RTE, then he can just direct RTE to make their website subscriber only, and issue an account to all current TV license holders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

My understanding is that if you have a laptop, a computer, a smartphone, or anything else that is able to receive a signal, then you have to pay the charge. I am in favour as it is a charge that doesnt pick on homeowners specifically. Whether or not you have a TV is irrelevant. So I imagine collection of the charge will go ahead on the basis that every household country has at least one of these, and it will be up to the individual to justify that they shouldnt pay in very rare circumstances (eg. an elderly person living out in the country and remaining largely unconnected)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

So what he is saying is that every household has either a TV or internet? Well considering Internet is not free, why should I pay for the RTE web access even though I never used it.

As someone mentioned earlier, should we have road tax chargeable to everyone. Even if you don't have the car, you still use the road!

By that logic everyone that has a radio should be paying too then. We need the government privacy invaders to go around searching people for concealed FM radios, not just televisions and computers.

The idea of RTE being cut back, becoming subscriber-only, or being privatised/abolished is of course not on the agenda.

The government has decided for you that RTE is an essential service which you will appreciate, and you will pay for it one way or another. If that is the case, fund it through a fair income tax please.. don't use it as an excuse to dress up further flat-rate property taxes, or use ridiculous armies of 'inspectors'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I personally would sign a oath never to watch or listen to a single iota of RTE media ever again if it absolved me of TV licence fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭enigma_b17

The original TV license was setup back when Digital TV was a thing of fantasy and everyone accessed the TV system via the analog cable that was piped into your house. The original law was setup to state that anyone who owns equiptment capable of receiving this signal (i.e. a tv, set-top box etc) is required to pay a fee to maintain RTE.

Most computers, laptops, ipads etc (if not all) do not have this capability technically speaking, and as a result are exempt from the charge.

The thing that gets me the most, is that they want us to pay more, pay pay pay pay, yet there is absolutely no word, not even a peep about either increasing the quality of shows on RTE, fixing some of those over-inflated salaries, making it more efficient. Its scandalous really.

The best "solution" to the issue is to make RTE subscriber only, the only downside to that is, no-one will pay to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

forfuxsake wrote: »

My parents did have a TV, but never had an RTE signal (still none with the new digital either), as such my father refused to pay a TV licence, ended up in court twice and threatened with prison.

Just the first of many additional tax's to be tacked on th the household charge

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

enigma_b17 wrote: »

The best "solution" to the issue is to make RTE subscriber only, the only downside to that is, no-one will pay to watch it.

No, the best solution is to privatize RTE. The state does not need an entertainment network.

No, the best solution is to privatize RTE. The state does not need an entertainment network.

Arguable...no private company would be willing to take it over :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

how much is it likely to be?

I would imagine its probably going to be the same as the tv license so what (€160p/a)...however I would imagine they will find some excuse to try and charge us more for that aswell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Arguable...no private company would be willing to take it over :)

Then be gone with it. IT could be replaced by a small state broadcaster that produces quality programming and journalism (I'm not too hopeful of that but let's indulge the fantasy ;)

Minister Rabbitte said in an interview played on Newstalk this morning "you either believe in public service broadcasting or you don't".

If RTE is public service broadcasting, then I don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    So what he is saying is that every household has either a TV or internet? Well considering Internet is not free, why should I pay for the RTE web access even though I never used it.

As someone mentioned earlier, should we have road tax chargeable to everyone. Even if you don't have the car, you still use the road!

Or why not charge everyone for a landline wheter they have one or not....crazy idea if you ask me:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Rabbitte is looking for favourable coverage for the coalition, from our State broadcaster.

No other legit reason for him proposing this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Deco99 wrote: »
    how much is it likely to be?
    The thing that gets me the most, is that they want us to pay more, pay pay pay pay

Seemly it could cost less than the current TV licence.
    The minister said the charge was not an additional tax, and the fee could be less than the current TV licence.

Source

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

I'd say this has more to do with creating the databases for the increased property tax etc , roll in the identity cards alongside and the bank debt will be solved
    Why do we Always get such **** governments , oh yeah coz we voted for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

kceire wrote: »
    "The minister said the charge was not an additional tax, and the fee could be less than the current TV licence."

As far as I am concerned any money taken from my income by the state is a TAX, whatever spin some politician with little understanding of honesty chooses to call it. "Fees", "levies", "household utility charges" "Excise duties" are all TAXES. What the money is used for -- RTE or any other state service, is irrelevant.

Also, while I am of course anxious to believe the minister's suggestion that the new tax could be less than the current licence fee, the word "could" makes me uneasy. I don't think I'll bet my wages on it!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

It might well be, initially. But for how long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Like with most things, the Government are just kite-flying.

If there is enough anger they will take their blood sucking tax lust elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Zaph wrote: »
    And you can be pretty sure they're not catching up on the latest episode of Fair City on the RTE Player.

Sure why not go the whole hog and make everyone pay motor tax, whether they have a car or not? Or force everyone to buy a dog licence, even if you're a cat lover? It's a major achievement to make yourself look more farcical than the last government, but this lot are giving it a fair go.
    Agreed, I'm just not clear on how they can justify this tax. There is no "broadcast" occurring on the internet - and to require a tax to use the internet on top of fees for services already is ridiculous. I, for one, have never even used RTÉ iPlayer once.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Source

problem is once fg/labour introduce the new tax they will increase it year in year out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

NO NO NO NO

Rabitte, just sell RTE and be done with it

For perspective the uk licence is 149gbp for a cOlour and 49gbp for a black and White (wtf is this)
    So in fairness it is on a par

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Just listening to the Last Word, and Stephen Price of the Sunday Times was as bad as Rabbitte (also on).

His logic was that even if you don't like what the armed forces are doing overseas, you support them with your taxes, and this was the same with Public Service Broadcasting 'charge'.

Odd for a guy who writes with a Murdoch publication to sound so pro RTE.

“People were on email in five or ten minutes to tell me what a dreadful idea it was and they had never had a TV in their lives. You can only conclude they are accessing public service content on the RTE website,” Minister Rabbitte said.
    No, Mr. Rabbitte, one can also conclude they don't want anything to do with RTE.

The arrogance of this man disgusts me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

rte is a joke of a station . i can say without doubt that "young people " are not watching anything on rte i player , which is only it its beta stage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

I have never heard so many people via their texts, emails etc to radio stations, saying that they have no TV.

I dont know ANYONE who has no TV in their house.

I know we live in a highly intellectual society where TV is frowned upon, with many people passing the evenings reading, writing, playing board games or praying, but these claims are just ridiculous.

How about a poll?

rasper wrote: »
    For perspective the uk licence is 149gbp for a cOlour and 49gbp for a black and White (wtf is this)

If you consider RTE to be equal in stature to the BBC, which apart from its infinitely superior programming is not allowed to advertise to at those who pay the licence. Also the fee can be avoided by choosing not to have a TV. something which looks set to change here.

I have never heard so many people via their texts, emails etc to radio stations, saying that they have no TV.

I dont know ANYONE who has no TV in their house.

I know we live in a highly intellectual society where TV is frowned upon, with many people passing the evenings reading, writing, playing board games or praying, but these claims are just ridiculous.

How about a poll?

We were talking about this at work the other day and among a group of 9, 2 (myself included) did not have a TV. I'm sure this is not representative but more and more people are deciding to try and raise their children to have lives rather than to experience the false lives of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

And in the Netherlands it's zero as there is no television license. What is your point?

n900guy wrote: »

And in the Netherlands it's zero as there is no television license. What is your point?

Wow touchy , my point is everything is constantly being compared with the uk , so people should be aware it isn't just Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Can somebody define a tv as what if you buy a tv and just use it as a screen .
    under current law , would you pay a tv licenses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

bpb101 wrote: »
    Can somebody define a tv as what if you buy a tv and just use it as a screen .
    under current law , would you pay a tv licenses

From : http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/FAQs/TV+Licence+FAQs.htm

"all premises at which a TV is located require a TV Licence regardless of its use."

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭stringed theory

So RTE could restrict access to their website by giving licence holders a password. That would be fair.

I don't have a TV and hate the passivity of TV watching and waiting for whatever turns up, and much prefer the internet - WHICH I PAY FOR. The proposal is outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

So RTE could restrict access to their website by giving licence holders a password. That would be fair.

I don't have a TV and hate the passivity of TV watching and waiting for whatever turns up, and much prefer the internet - WHICH I PAY FOR. The proposal is outrageous.
    they only setup the website to bring in this new legislation, i.e. not just tv's accessing RTE content. There was a thread about in broadband when the RTE player was launched and the fact it was going to make non tv owners pay a license.

Ignoring idiots who comment "far right" because they don't even know what it means

• Advertisement
Advertisement