Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Bands

• 18-01-2012 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Looking for some good Limerick bands? Can any one help with this maybe send me a few names of the bands and or contacts for the said bands?????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

What genre? For a wedding or a gig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

https://www.facebook.com/seneca.ireland

There`s loads more but these guy`s have a new single "Human Relations"and it`s brilliant.

http://youtu.be/7xvY4qh6l3w

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭code name paul

Gigs in the city.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Depends on where its for, if its for inside with ye - then I can't recommend PlanB Enough! If Memory Serves are a handy upcomming band. Secret Police too! (Although, if they are still around I'm not too sure, I'll try find out!)

If Memory Serves:
    http://soundcloud.com/if-memory-serves/getting-started

Secret Police:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_ZBD8_Bsg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Secret Police too! (Although, if they are still around I'm not too sure, I'll try find out!)

Secret Police:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG_ZBD8_Bsg

They be no more unfortunately.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Hermitage Green. They really are excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The Cranberries :)

You looking for original or covers?

Original: If memory serves, dead red light, shardborne, birdthistle, dREA, campaign LK, protobaby, senkah, brad pitt light orchestra, and more I am forgetting!

Covers: Hermitage Green, Free Beer, Cuisle, Traffic, and many more I am forgetting!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm available for acoustic covers sets. Not too much demand for those though!

seachto7 wrote: »
    The Cranberries :)

You looking for original or covers?

Original: If memory serves, dead red light, shardborne, birdthistle, dREA, campaign LK, protobaby, senkah, brad pitt light orchestra, and more I am forgetting!

Covers: Hermitage Green, Free Beer, Cuisle, Traffic, and many more I am forgetting!!

I'd forgot about the bplo :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Lollygaggers are also pretty decent and the Boatmen for more tradational type of stuff

• Advertisement

campo wrote: »
    Lollygaggers are also pretty decent and the Boatmen for more tradational type of stuff

+1 on the lollygaggers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TONY DAY

Has any Limerick band had a hit single in the Irish charts never mind the UK or USA charts since the Cranberries last hit!!!
    Would be interested to know.

Animal beats did

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Funk Junkies are good.

I think Better Than You are still playing together, they're good craic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Senkah been played on today fm at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

And no one mentioned the windings, who have a new album out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

jmch81 wrote: »
    And no one mentioned the windings, who have a new album out.

It's just 'Windings.'

No the

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Fox Jaw Bounty Hunters are pretty cool, and well worth checking out.

h3000 wrote: »
    They be no more unfortunately.

Yeah it's a pity as they were very good live.

Are they any good i never heard of them to be honest!!

• Advertisement

Are they any good bands outside of the usual boring jingly jangly guitar bands around at the moment in the Limerick area. Any bands who you would go and see live that would blow you away in terms of originality and creativity for example. I've seen loads of these new up and coming bands and to be honest none of them have impressed me. Sorry just saying!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

TONY DAY wrote: »
    Are they any good bands outside of the usual boring jingly jangly guitar bands around at the moment in the Limerick area....

At the moment I would say the Fox Jaw Bounty Hunters are the pick of the bunch, after that I think Windings are a good act. The Brad Pitt Light Orchestra are a very good band but it all really depends on what you're into.

Oh, and don't forget about The Rubberbandits.

Are they any good bands outside of the usual boring jingly jangly guitar bands around at the moment in the Limerick area. Any bands who you would go and see live that would blow you away in terms of originality and creativity for example. I've seen loads of these new up and coming bands and to be honest none of them have impressed me. Sorry just saying!!

The vast majority of local bands in somewhere as small as Limerick will sound somewhat generic, but that is not to say that a hell of a lot of them are not excellent live. Really original and really creative bands only come around once in a blue moon in small cities like Limerick to be honest (and it could be argued that such bands are a rarity full stop regardless of where you go) so enjoying the best of what is available is the best way to go imho.

I think the age of the listener comes into play a lot in terms of what sounds original or creative as well. A younger person may go to see a local band and be blown away by them as the band sound fresh and new to that listener based upon what the listener has heard so far in their life, whereas the same band might sound like a cover band to someone who has been listening to music twenty years longer than the first listener.

Walter Mitty and the Realists impressed me when I saw them in 2010. Might just be a little bit too indie for some people's tastes.

Walter Mitty and the Realists impressed me when I saw them in 2010. Might just be a little bit too indie for some people's tastes.

They are very very generic in their sound, but still very good at what they do. They do have a great band name though.

Has any Limerick band had a hit single in the Irish charts never mind the UK or USA charts since the Cranberries last hit!!!
    Would be interested to know.

rubberbandits

Not sure of the last band who would have had international success since the Cranberries?

seachto7 wrote: »
    rubberbandits

Not sure of the last band who would have had international success since the Cranberries?

Could always try to claim Aphex Twin. He was born in Limerick after all. :D

Walter Mitty are no more (as far as I know...?)

Tony Day, what would you be into?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is it for a pub gig OP?

Hermitage Green seen to be getting tons of gigs around town so they must be good

Advertisement