Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Level 6 v Level 7

Options
  • 18-01-2012 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what exactly is the difference, pros and cons, benefits, and/or (dis)advantages in Level 6 against Level 7??

As far as I'm aware;
    Level 6 is supposed to help ya get into Level 7, if so how so? Also, it is possible to apply for Level 7 independently, so with this in mind what is the purpose of Level 6?? I understand they may be beneficial in giving potential third-level students a glimpse of what third-level College is like, and only other thing I can think of is they'd be useful for someone for figuring out and giving a pretty good idea if a certain career path is right for a person, but a person can pretty much decide this for a Level 5 Course can't they?

As there appears to be no point to Level 6 from what I can see, and ya could have gone ahead and have 2 years of your Level 7 Degree completed at that stage rather than having un-necessarily done the 1-2year Level 6, - I think, i.m.o. it should be done away with!

What are peoples thoughts and experience on/of Level 6?

Level 5 Course i.m.o. seem to be pretty comprehensive and well-organized, maybe something should be done about gaining access to third-level Level 7 from Level 5 Courses? Also, what are Level 6 Credits for and where/how can they used to advantage? I see an odd Level 6 Course gives 5 Credits, - cn these 5 Credits be put towards accumulating your Level 7 progression or what are they for??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

So no-one has done a Level 6 course and can offer any feedback on it then?
    :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

To be honest its a big question to answer. First of all there are two types of level 6 courses; HETAC level 6 and FETAC level 6 and they are not interchangeable or equivalent. The National Qualifications Authority have a good diagram that might help on their website; http://http://www.nqai.ie/FanDiagram/nqai_nfq_08.html

FETAC level 5 and level 6 courses are part of a further education awards strand. That means the courses are more vocationally oriented with a focus on work skills acquisition.

HETAC courses, from levels 6 to 10, which are offered through the Institutes of Technology are much more academic and theory based and are considered to be at a higher standard than those at FETAC.

I think you are getting confused between the two. HETAC Level 6 courses are part of the 'add-on' system for third level qualifications. This means you sign up for a two year course and can leave with a Higher Cert in that discipline, or if you have a sufficiently high mark you can progress into a third year and get a Level 7 ordinary degree qualification and from there into a fourth year and get the Hons degree. For some people this suits better than having to commit to a 4 year course from the outset.

The credits you refer to are part of the FETAC system and don't carry weight in the HETAC system.

Hope this gives you some info to work from. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

So no-one has done a Level 6 course and can offer any feedback on it then?
    :/

I'm starting a Level 10 course, does that help? :)

My interpretation of the various levels is that it is structured to people of varying academic needs and ability.

Level 6, as far as I recall, are typically Post Leaving Cert courses. When complete, the student may continue to further study in an Institute of Technology, or leave with a recognised qualification.

Also, people who may not have the points to go directly into an IoT can get in by doing a Level 6 course first.

So it is a very valuable and important qualification post-secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I'm starting a Level 10 course, does that help? :)

My interpretation of the various levels is that it is structured to people of varying academic needs and ability.

Level 6, as far as I recall, are typically Post Leaving Cert courses. When complete, the student may continue to further study in an Institute of Technology, or leave with a recognised qualification.

Just to clarify Tom there are two types of Level 6 courses. One is a FETAC Advanced certificate which is usually a one year course and its also the qualification awarded to apprentices for some reason and the other is a HETAC Higher Certificate which is a two year course taught through the Institute of Technology and replaces the old National Certificate courses.

Most Post Leaving Cert courses are at FETAC level 5.
    Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Also, people who may not have the points to go directly into an IoT can get in by doing a Level 6 course first.

Yes although it's not necessary to have a FETAC level 6 completed, often the FETAC level 5 is sufficient to get into the first year of an IOT programme. Someone with a FETAC level 6 can in certain circumstances be accpeted into the second year of a HETAC level 6 course depending on the curriculum followed in their FETAC level 6 course.

Confused yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Confused yet? :D

Nope, but I appreciate the clarification.

It's been a while since I looked at this kind of stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sookey

Hi
    I am currently doing level 6, I have listed below how I managed to get through.:)

Progression from Fetac level 5 awards nowadays have 2 schemes available.

HIGHER EDUCATION LINKS SCHEME

This one facilitates progression to a variety of education course via specific Fetac level 5 and 6 awards. under this scheme a number of places are reserved by higher education institutions for Fetac applicants for entry to a range of third level courses. This is done on a points system. I have listed points system below.

THE PILOT SCHEME

This one facilitates progression to higher certificate (level 6 courses) and ordinary degree (level 7) courses via any Fetac level 5 OR 6 award. under this most places are open to Fetac applicants on a competitive basis with leaving cert applicants.

APPLICATION

Application is made to the Central Applications Office (CAO) by the first of Feb of each year of entry by completing quite a big form eek.gif

Grading of Fetac is done on a 3 tier system

pass - 20 points
    merit - 35 points
    distinction - 50 points

the maximum you can earn is 400 points

so in order to gain a FULL CERTIFICATE u need 8 distinctions, if you get under this you will get a I think they call it a COMPONENT CERT, but dont worry you can go back the following year and redo the bits you need, then reapply for your full cert and bingo off you go to further education.

it is important that you contact your relevant Higher Ed Institution as colleges and courses may have specific minimum standards in addition to those above.

and from any of these you can go on to do any level 8 - (Honours degree)

hope this helps.:D

Advertisement