Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets abandoned on M50

• 18-01-2012 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭

Anyone else see this story on the 6-1 News? Apparently people are abandoning their pet dogs/cats on motorways with the DSPCA havin to rescue some from the M50.

Depressing stuff but also shocking negligent. What if someone is killed as a result of these actions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

We met a young rottie in the park one day - ran over to my guy to say hello and I got talking to the owner - he told me he was rescued after being tied to a lamppost on the motorway!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sarah132

that's disgusting that ANYONE can do that to their own pet!! these people should be locked away in prison!! this gets me so mad. there are too many dogs out there already. no one should be allowed to breed their dog anymore. everyone should need a licence or something. it's so bloody rediculous!!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

For those who didn't see it:

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0118/media-3171625.html#
    (Presume I'm allowed post that here...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

It always baffles me as to why people do this. If you're going to abandon your dog and don't have the decency to bring them to a shelter then abandon them somewhere safe at the very least so they have some chance! Scumbags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sarah132

DaLad wrote: »
    For those who didn't see it:

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0118/media-3171625.html#
    (Presume I'm allowed post that here...)

:( very sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

People who do this should be shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭sineadc1984

We saw 3 dogs loose on the M50 over Christmas the poor things. Then last week there was at least 2 running over a fly over over the M50 also :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

darokane wrote: »

Or abandoned on a roadside, tied up to a lamppost without food, drink or shelter.

I know cases from Germany, where pet shops or animal shelters don't give out pets around Christmas, because they know, them poor animals might end up as unwanted presents. Something to think about, imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

Can never get my head around this type of thing myself. I remember reading a story on fb a few weeks ago from one of the rescue sites in Cork about them being alerted by members of the public who had witnessed a guy in the process of dumping a dog at a busy roadside who was throwing stones at the poor dog to get it to move away so he could drive off! Both the rescue & the members of the public were trying to track the dog down then after it ran off into a graveyard! Horrible people out there :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Clare Bear wrote: »
    It always baffles me as to why people do this. If you're going to abandon your dog and don't have the decency to bring them to a shelter then abandon them somewhere safe at the very least so they have some chance! Scumbags.

It worries me that people capable of doing such things may also be rearing kids - a very troubling thought:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Thats a bit OTT. When I say a bit I mean very.

Yes its a very cruel thing to do, and obviously I'd never do it but lets have some balance and perspective here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Thats a bit OTT. When I say a bit I mean very.

Yes its a very cruel thing to do, and obviously I'd never do it but lets have some balance and perspective here.
    Figure of speech!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

sarah132 wrote: »
    that's disgusting that ANYONE can do that to their own pet!! these people should be locked away in prison!! this gets me so mad. there are too many dogs out there already. no one should be allowed to breed their dog anymore. everyone should need a licence or something. it's so bloody rediculous!!!:mad:

I totally agree with your sentiments, but I don't know what you mean by everyone should need a licence - everyone does a need a licence to own a dog.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Two words. Mandatory microchipping.
    It'd solve a huge amount of problems, as they automatically confer responsibility onto the registered owner.
    Of course, there'd have to be proper registration of every chip too, to stop the utterly frustrating reality that there are many chipped dogs out there with no details at all reg'd to their chip. But it's a simple and fairly cheap way to instantly make owners accountable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

its terrible to hear animals being abandoned everywhere breaks my heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

DBB wrote: »
    It'd solve a huge amount of problems, as they automatically confer responsibility onto the registered owner.
    Of course, there'd have to be proper registration of every chip too, to stop the utterly frustrating reality that there are many chipped dogs out there with no details at all reg'd to their chip. But it's a simple and fairly cheap way to instantly make owners accountable.

I agree but this wouldn't solve the problem of the persons dog having puppies and then them abandoning the puppies either when they're very small or when they get a little bit bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

Although with the mindless people who are abandoning dogs, I wouldn't put it past them to give false registration details if they were ever to own a dog again.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Meh - DNA sample the pet that's being micro-chipped. Find puppies, check DNA , trace owner, fine owner, charge owner, spank owner, etc, etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think my point is being missed somewhat. Every cow in this country is tagged. Very cow in this country is reg'd with the dept of ag, every calf it has must be reg'd, every move it makes off farm is known, every new owner must re-register a cow they buy to their details, much like you do with a car.
    It is done right with cows (and sheep) in the dept of ag, and if the will was there, it can be done right with dogs too.
    It may seem ironic that it may well be the farming sector which gets dog microchipping pushed through, as dogs found worrying livestock are traceable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Loads of submissions were made as part of the Dog Breeding Bill asking for mandatory chipping but the government refused to listen as they consider that we already have an "adequate" system in place.

Given the cruelty to the dog & the huge accident risk to the public a four figure fine & a lifetime ban on keeping animals should be the very minimum for this type of offence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement