Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging for some freelance work

Options
  • 18-01-2012 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just looking for some suggestions price wise. I did some work for an IT company awhile back and they want me again to do some freelance work now. Involves some web development etc. Most of the time I'll be able to work from my home office, will sometimes have to do work in their office. I filled in for a few weeks when they had a temporary staff shortage last time and undercharged them for the time.

What sort of per hour price should I be looking for? Haven't really done this type of work for someone else before. I'd imagine I'll be doing 10-15 hours a week roughly

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

Deaddude wrote: »
    Hi all

Just looking for some suggestions price wise. I did some work for an IT company awhile back and they want me again to do some freelance work now. Involves some web development etc. Most of the time I'll be able to work from my home office, will sometimes have to do work in their office. I filled in for a few weeks when they had a temporary staff shortage last time and undercharged them for the time.

What sort of per hour price should I be looking for? Haven't really done this type of work for someone else before. I'd imagine I'll be doing 10-15 hours a week roughly

Cheers

300 quid a day is standard so thats about 40 quid an hour. But you should really look at a retained fee which would be say 400 a week for 10 hours and then a reduced charge if they need you thereafter. In any week if they dont need you the full amount you charge anyway as you have an oppertunity loss cost.

If you can get a 4 week notice from the company to break ageement and put it down in writing, you dont necessarly need a legal contract (but might be an idea) but you need to have it on an agreed piece of paper.

Timesheet it every week and document each and ever half hour. Eg Email to wayne on how to open IE7, call to mary on how to turn on new printer, ran scan on PC 1 & 2. Restore back of dicks lost excel etc

If you have a specilisation then you can charge much more than that and of course less if you dont really add much to the business.

Good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

onedmc wrote: »
    ... Restore back of dicks lost ...
    :eek: If OP can do this as well as the IT work, he's worth a bleedin' fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

onedmc wrote: »
    300 quid a day is standard so thats about 40 quid an hour. But you should really look at a retained fee which would be say 400 a week for 10 hours and then a reduced charge if they need you thereafter. In any week if they dont need you the full amount you charge anyway as you have an oppertunity loss cost.

If you can get a 4 week notice from the company to break ageement and put it down in writing, you dont necessarly need a legal contract (but might be an idea) but you need to have it on an agreed piece of paper.

Timesheet it every week and document each and ever half hour. Eg Email to wayne on how to open IE7, call to mary on how to turn on new printer, ran scan on PC 1 & 2. Restore back of dicks lost excel etc

If you have a specilisation then you can charge much more than that and of course less if you dont really add much to the business.

Good luck

Not sure how you can say 300 per day is standard - we need more info on what type of web dev and other work to say what's standard.

Just as an example - I know people charging 1000 per day standard rate and others charging 250

Advertisement