Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are we there yet?..

Options
  • 18-01-2012 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

am new to boards - in order to avoid studying i decided to join in on this craic. i've been running since i was under 8s, but haven't really been reaching my potential since i was about 14/15.. duno y this is, maybe its frm not listening to coaches, doing the wrong training, doing too much training, enjoying college.. have yet to work it out, but atm im in my early 20s and just trying to enjoy athletics as opposed to train for something.. if a competition comes along that i feel ready to do, off i go, otherwise i'm just gna keep ticking over before i start a 9mnth placement in may.. which will involve 12hr shifts, night shifts, no routine, etc, etc. which means i'll be lucky to get out running at all never mind doing a decent session or even a race.. will cross that bridge when i get to it

so in the mean time im getting bck after a stress fracture followed by shin splints. touch wood have had not much reoccurence of pain since the new yr :) but dnt wana speak too soon.

so my thoughts are that if i start a log then when may comes around i will b guilted into going for a run (even if its just a reeeaaallllyyy easy 4 miles, at least its something) and maybe even have met a few ppl on boards who are in similar situations who would b interested in running late at night or ridiculously early in the morning!!

am trying to get bck into a proper training routine, at the moment im just seeing whos there or seeing what the weathers like regarding what im going to do, but here's roughly what i did in the past week or so.

Friday 13th- went for a hill walk around glendalough and the spink-lovely day for it, took bout 3hrs20mins, well worth it

saturday 14th- santry for my first session in long long time involving 400s. did 8x400 with 90sec recovery, all in 77sec. was good to get the feel of it again but wasn't as quick as this time last yr.

sunday 15th- long easy run in the park-70mins, roughly 9miles

monday 16th- felt wrecked (think i may be brewing a cold, or might b due to exams atm) did 4miles at crawling pace

tuesday 17th - still didn't feel too great but went out for a run anyways-did 70 mins, first 6miles included knockmaroon hill (which is a killer) and took 40mins, then the remaining 30 mins were the jog hme- roughly 9 miles again.

wednesday 18th- out to santry again- 3x4x200, 30 sec recovery with 4 and a half min between each set. didn't feel great doing them (defo brewing something in the chest, could hear and feel it today) but wasn't any slower than what i've been doing this yr (34-36sec). still a couple of sec slower than last yr but i was fitter this time last yr and was training for something, just trying to remind myself im doing this just to keep ticking over right now.

tomorrow will involve a run and if i gt up in time i might head to a bootcamp class my gym does.. will c what happens

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

oh and im also looking at getting in to triathlons, have been told by seasoned triathletes/biathletes that it may be worth my while getting in to it, but that may be something that will have to wait until after the 9mnth placement :/

ugh failed t gt up in time for bootcamp, have a route planned t run this eve so will gt at least 8 miles in, 10 if im feeling ok

started off on my new route that i was introduced to on tuesday eve. was a lovely night so thought id do a decent 8miles at least. was dwn to one other runner tonight (dunno where the rest of my crew was but i'm sure they'll make up for it on sunday morn for our long run). started off about 7.30min miling and felt fine. made it up knockmaroon hill (just about) and headed in to castleknock. think we dropped the pace a bit here and at 50mins my partner in crime headed hme and i continued on.. was in the humor for it so just kept going. headed bck into the park and think the pace was a bit slower, picked it up going dwn the main road, out castleknock gate and back home. took 78 mins, and didn feel bad, so 75min with the right company should b doable fairly easily. will have hit the 100mile mark for this yr by the end of the week i think :D

study is getting to me mentally, diet-ally, physically.. i need to go for a run! means i'll gt no rest day this week (well, maybe i could count that shocking jog i did on monday) but i really need to get out and sweat a bit. couldn go the gym cause im doing a long hill session tomorrow and would just leave the legs with extra work to do if i did weights or a circut tonight.. going out with one of the younger girls, so will just take it handy enough and do 5 r 6 miles, see what she's in the humor for. will try convince myself to do some core after maybe.. if i have time before i hit the books again...4 more days and its over

didnt end up running last night, went for a wlk instead.

headed to the magazine hill this morn and did 4x4xshort hills, 4.30-5mins between each set. didn't feel to bad. then went for 4 miles easy this eve with the boyfriend and a friend of his, looking forward to a long run tomorrow.

• Advertisement

so the aim was for 10miles today, didn't care what speed as long as it was done (had a few hungover companions so didn't wana kill them) was tough going due to the wind and the route that we took (mile number 8 was frm chapeloizid right up the hill to castleknock :eek: ) but we managed. nice finish to a good week of mileage.

so the day is finally here- my last ever exam in dcu. was really stressing last night (yet could not settle down to do any work) so went for an easy enough 75mins (roughly 9miles, myabe a bit longer) felt tired from the long run sunday but it helped settle the nerves.

will either go for a run or a session tonight, will see how much this exam takes out of me first

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Good luck in your exam today!

Hope the log keeps you motivated when you need it most :)

so thats the exam out of the way.. went grand, rewarded myself with the biggest bowel of xmas pud and icecream ever! (will pay for that but never mind) feeling a lot more tired than i thought i would but luckily there's a few going for an easy jog instead of a session so will do that, might do a few miles with the boyfriend after will c how i feel

holy f**k am i paying for pigging out all day! my poor tummy! managed 7ish miles easy but boy am i in bits now..i never learn.. think i may detox for the rest of the week, do no harm to get the study lbs off me

• Advertisement

so taking a complete day off.. the only thing ive done today is walk up and down the stairs frm my room to the kitchen. tomorrow gna try go bootcamp in the morning and a run at some point, then have to drive to monaghan to visit the family. will go for an easy jog up there on friday if i can

just watching this programme on setanta about brother o connel and his athletes in kenya. very interesting

so after taking a complete rest yesterday (and i mean COMPLETE rest..barely left my room) was bck to normal today. had t cycle in to temple st to collect something, first time on the actual bike as opposed to spinning and it felt great t b back on it. is only a few miles from my house but was a lovely day and really enjoyed it. went for a 10 miler tonight (was by myself doing this). took roughly 78mins and felt pretty easy-couldn have gne any faster by myself but could have gone for another few miles. have to drive up to monaghan now and will just go for an easy 40mins r so up there tomorrow. back tomorrow night before a session on saturday.. think it'll be santry instead of the hills this week but am not totally sure yet. will c what the weathers like

the amount of miles iv driven in the past 24hrs! id be top of the 1000mile challenge in the click of a button :p went for an easy 3 miles. was easy pace but was very hilly :eek: but was grand. home now and looks like it'll be santry in the morn. depending on whos there and the weather it'll either be 200s or 400s. will c in the morn :D

was a bit chilly this morning but it was the perfect day for a track session..

8x400 with 90sec recovery

did the first 2 in 76, the next 5 in 75 and the last one in 74 and felt very strong. could have easily done another 2 anyway, 12 in total may have been a push but i think i may aim to build up to that in the next few weeks... r maybe go back down to 6 but go faster...will see how things pan out. finished off with an easy 20mins in the park next door to santry.

it sounded horrible out when i woke up this morning but i actually really enjoyed the run! was really mucky and we had a few falls in the group but it was nice. the park was quiet today prob due to the weather and the raheny 5. did just over 10miles, was ridiculously slippy under feet so took 85mins but was a nice one

so monday i was wrecked, went to bootcamp for an hr in the morning and had planned to go for an easy run but was just too tired. and then slept rubbish.. but anyways

today (tuesday) looks like il be doin 300m (ish)x 8 (?) with 90 sec recovery. got a call to do the intervarsity 800 this weekend but theres no way id b interested in an 800 right now, maybe a 1500 at a push but said id pass this yr. but i did say id do the xcountry which is in 5 weeks... i will have a 4 week placement dne leading up to it so dnt know what my training will b like.. but i think i can manage a slog around an xcountry course if i have to..iv committed to it regardless so will have to find a way

so ended up doing an 80min run instead and gna hit the track in the morning for some fast 200s..and hopefully will get to bootcamp tomorrow night for the craic

very fresh morning but got warm once i got moving

was out to santry today, feelin yesterdays run but got through it
    3x3x200 with 30 sec recovery and about 5mins between each set
    1. 33, 33, 35
    2. 33, 34, 34
    3. 34, 34, 34

was happy enough with that seeing as i did it with just my watch for company. usually i would do 3x4x200 but my times were between 34-37, so needed to do something quicker and think this was the right thing to do today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

roseybear wrote: »
    very fresh morning but got warm once i got moving

was out to santry today, feelin yesterdays run but got through it
    3x3x200 with 30 sec recovery and about 5mins between each set
    1. 33, 33, 35
    2. 33, 34, 34
    3. 34, 34, 34

was happy enough with that seeing as i did it with just my watch for company. usually i would do 3x4x200 but my times were between 34-37, so needed to do something quicker and think this was the right thing to do today

Nice session and those were quick reps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Nice session and those were quick reps!

+1

What sort of 800m shape do you think you would be in, if you had to do one in the next week or two?

• Advertisement

dna_leri wrote: »
    +1

What sort of 800m shape do you think you would be in, if you had to do one in the next week or two?

i don't really know tbh, think maybe 2.20ish? like i said in an earlier post, i was offered a place for the 800 this weekend in the inter-varsities, but don't feel ready for that, even if it is just a casual enough competition. don't feel i've suffered enough lactic for that yet ha but it is still very early in the season... but then again, a couple more sessions like a did today and could be cruising

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Very solid session the other day great speed. I am currently doing similar style sessions breaking them up into sets and looking to progression as the season goes on. You seem to have a well thoughtout training plan do you train with Clonliffe or on your own usually?

Looking at your earlier posts you seem to have a very similar background to me will follow this thread with interest

Ecoli it's more similar than ya think, I was round in your day :P I'm with Celtic but theres not many aul ones left so would do some stuff alone. Due to placements for college I will prob be alone for a lot because my hrs are all over the place, but the session I did the other day is the easiest to do alone

Ecoli it's more similar than ya think, I was round in your day :P I'm with Celtic but theres not many aul ones left so would do some stuff alone. Due to placements for college I will prob be alone for a lot because my hrs are all over the place, but the session I did the other day is the easiest to do alone

Celtic? I thought once you were adults you became DCH runners? If you were round in my time I prob know you so.

+1 on the hours (As we speak I am coming into the last hour of my night shift:D)

ecoli wrote: »
    Celtic? I thought once you were adults you became DCH runners? If you were round in my time I prob know you so.

+1 on the hours (As we speak I am coming into the last hour of my night shift:D)

about 5 years ago maybe (?) celtic and dch combined (because it was basically the same thing anyways) to be celtic dch. yeh i was in your time but i was maybe 2 yrs below i think? would only really know the name and the face, don't think we would have crossed paths verbally. i'm the only one left really from that era. i'll add ya on facebook and see if it rings any bells, although i do look a lot different since then ha :D

was up ridiculously early thursday morning for a trip over to London for a Nike ambassador day (i do a bit of promotions for them in DCU-there's some very good circut/bootcamp classes run by Nike in DCU, UCD and TCD aimed specifically for women and i try encourage students to go). was a long long day and didn't manage to get a run in at all but did get some funky nike gear including the most amazing pair of shoes! (Thanks Nike :D)

so today, i was getting a new carpet put in to my bedroom so i had to clear the room of EVERYTHING.. thank god my sis is a sprinter, needed her strength to help lift everything out.. but unfortunately she was gone most of the time i was putting everything back in- who needs a gym? :rolleyes:

so resulted in me not getting out til tonight. am hitting santry in the morning, probably for some 400 and don't particularly like doing anything over 6 miles on a fri/before sat morn sessions, but it was such a nice night and because i didn't do anything yesterday i kept going. did about 62mins, think was roughly 7.45 min miling. felt a few niggles in the gluts and my right foot, but im going to put that down to either the travelling i did yesterday or the lifting today, feeling fresh enough for tomorrow morning anyway :)

was in santry this morning for some 400s (8 with 90 sec recovery)

times were: 73,74,75,75,75,73,74,74. really felt the wind on the home straight in some of them but felt that i looked good even if i didn't feel it for all of them (which is what my mammy always says, "just look good" lol). on the last one i got that feeling you get in the last 150 of an 800, which is the first time ive really felt like that in a while, so altogether am happy with how it went.

might go for just an easy 20-25mins with the boyfriend later just to ease out a bit

about 5 years ago maybe (?) celtic and dch combined (because it was basically the same thing anyways) to be celtic dch. yeh i was in your time but i was maybe 2 yrs below i think? would only really know the name and the face, don't think we would have crossed paths verbally. i'm the only one left really from that era. i'll add ya on facebook and see if it rings any bells, although i do look a lot different since then ha :D

The name and the face defo ring a bell alright. The username kinda threw me at first because I didnt have a clue who it was. Good to see one or two of you's still survived probably the most social club with us Tallaght outcasts back in the day:D

Very solid session again today

ecoli wrote: »
    The name and the face defo ring a bell alright. The username kinda threw me at first because I didnt have a clue who it was. Good to see one or two of you's still survived probably the most social club with us Tallaght outcasts back in the day:D

Very solid session again today

i actually bump in to the lads that would have been round at that time a bit and that's the one thing we always comment on, there's just not the same banter anymore. the relays were always great craic, in particular between your lot, conliffe and us but that just isn't there at all anymore... we need a few more karl smiths round the place ha

• Advertisement

went for a few miles with the boyfriend and a mate of his last night, was only about 3miles, just to loosen up cause i think we all had training yesterday morning.

today i wanted to do 11miles, just to see how it felt. only been doing 10milers so far this season, so been well over a yr since i did any longer. ended up doing about 11.5miles and took 88 mins which i was happy with. it felt very comfortable, roughly 8min miling or quicker. start back placement this week so deciding wether to run before or after work..think before might be safer but might need to do a test run so i don't end up late for work.. not in til tuesday so if i wake early tomorrow going to get up and go for a run, have to go at some point so may aswell get it over and done with

Advertisement