Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are we there yet?..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭roseybear

so did a practice of the run i want to do in the morning.. it's 8.6miles but i can cut it to 7.6 if needs be. took me 64mins, felt a few niggles and was a bit tired after yesterday but it was ok. it's going to be my first 6am run ever :( so going to have a camomile tea and hit the hay early - have a 12hr shift to do after the run. the boyfriend has to do a session tomorrow and wants me to come along, but i'll be on the bike shouting abuse at him as opposed to running. then wednesday im off so will b doing a session, prob 200s again.

am dreading getting up early but kind of looking forward to joining the hardcore peeps who regularly go out at that time :D wish me luck :p

i did it! managed my run, bck in time for a shower and to cycle in to temple street. been a long day, ran at 6amish and got home at 8.30pm (was let off a bit early cause it was quiet). my dad suggested i should do a half hr easy in the morn before work and then do a more up tempo half hr when i gt home which i may look at doing.. and i wana c if its more suitable to run after work, but that depends how busy my day is. am off tomorrow so am really looking forward to a lie in (which no doubt i won't actually get) and then will be off to santry

out to santry today for my fav session 3x3x200

1. 32, 34, 34
    2. 33, 33, 34
    3. 34, 34, 33.

felt pretty ok, seeing i was exhausted when i woke up this morning. in the hospital thurs and fri so will just do an easy jog both of those days then a session on saturday morning, prob 400s again.

so ran after work today instead of before.. was a tough day emotionally so didnt know what id be able for but did a nice 6miles and acto felt pretty good. in again tomorrow for a long day so hopefully ill b able for the same after, although may have company with me so might go a bit longer.. will see how i feel

took a day off on friday cause hadn't had one in a week or so then saturday was out for my 400m session in santry (8x400 with 90sec recovery)

72, 74, 75, 75, 75, 73, 76, 73.

went far too quick on the first one (had felt fresh) and then had to do a quick pit stop before the 2nd last one (was bursting for the loo :o) so wasn't really ready to go, didn't have the head ready, hence y was a bit slower but was happy with how the went anyways. feel that i look strong when i'm running which is half the battle :D

today was my long run, which didn't know how i would feel cause had a few last night, but it was grand. had company for the first 8 miles then did the last 3 alone. was farily nippy, took 83mins, so think that's 7.5min miling? felt good the whole time which i was happy about, next weekend i'll be upping it to 12miles hopefully

• Advertisement

went for a late run last night (monday) but surprised myself with it, 53mins for 7.7 miles. was very happy with that, felt very strong throughout. today was just an easy hr r so, nothing too vigourous as am hitting the track for my 200s tomorrow.

was out for my 3x3x3200 with 30sec recovery in santry today and really felt the past few days in my legs (and the wind was everywhere on the track)

so the times were
    1. 33, 34, 34.
    2. 33, 34, 35.
    3. 34, 35, 34.

not as quick as last week but not to shabby.. treated myself to the biggest piece of cake u can imagine.. and had another piece later cause i had to finish it :p working a long day thurs and fri so will rest one of those days to help my legs recover for my saturday session

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

roseybear wrote: »
    was out for my 3x3x3200 with 30sec recovery

Good God! Thought you had done some monster session totalling 30k but I'm guessing you meant 3x3x200! Great times. Very consistent. I need to do some proper sessions. Do you do them on your own or with a club?

Seeing your mileage in the 1000 mile challenge I reckon you'll handle yourself in the multi-sport adventure races. When you're entering don't be put off by the terms "Elite" and "Expert". If you're fit and fast enough (which you are) then that's the group you want to be racing with. Especially in something like Gaelforce - go for the first wave (5am start). Very occasionally they might need proof so if you've done another race before then you can let them know your time.

There is a race on 14th of April in Glendalough which I really enjoy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p6L2VuL5ag

Good God! Thought you had done some monster session totalling 30k but I'm guessing you meant 3x3x200! Great times. Very consistent. I need to do some proper sessions. Do you do them on your own or with a club?

Seeing your mileage in the 1000 mile challenge I reckon you'll handle yourself in the multi-sport adventure races. When you're entering don't be put off by the terms "Elite" and "Expert". If you're fit and fast enough (which you are) then that's the group you want to be racing with. Especially in something like Gaelforce - go for the first wave (5am start). Very occasionally they might need proof so if you've done another race before then you can let them know your time.

There is a race on 14th of April in Glendalough which I really enjoy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p6L2VuL5ag

im in a club but i do half with them and half alone, depends on what days im working and that. the 200m session i can do alone as its not too mentally challenging, but the 400s i do with a couple of others

just went for an easy run tonight .. i really need to work on my diet, my training's going well but i am just eating crap and too much of it, and nutrition is nearly a more important factor than the actual training.. anyway, did 5.7miles in 40mins, my mp3 player went after 10mins so wasn't too keen on going too far, but felt very comfortable running at that pace

• Advertisement

first things first.. due to lack of gym/circut/bootcamp time and a terrible diet the past week or 2, im starting to wear the effects a bit.. so gta watch that..

secondly, due to juvenille races, the bhaa race and it being midterm i was left to my own devices for training today. 400s are horrible alone so figured id jog the longer way (3miles) to mary's hospital and think of some torture along the way. decided i'd do intervals of the triangle there (it's bout 800metres give or take, and is very deceptive.. it doesn't look that long till you get going)

was thinking id do 6.. and then i did the first 1 so said id leave it at 5:
    2.42 (too fast), 2.47, 2.49, 2.52 (woops) and 2.46.

was running every 4.30mins so basically 2mins recovery or there abouts.. its been 18mnths since ive done those loops.. and the last time i did them i was still drunk from the night before so never really felt the pain of them. but it was good for me all the same. it was a lovely day when the wind stopped blowing :mad: was in my face for the last side of the triangle but i made it. including the jog there and back and the session my total was 8miles which im happy about. did some walking lunges and a little bit of bounding after just to get used to it again.

was by myself again today :mad: how never, just got on with it. was really feeling the little bit of plymetrics i did yesterday but plodded on and did 12.5miles. took 98mins but not too bothered bout that.

took monday off, and just went for an easy run today..after i demolished a box of roses and a tub of ice-cream (dnt judge, was my last chance b4 lent). did just over 8 miles but culd feel the shin splints creeping bck in..gna have to watch this very closely....

in other news, got an email frm my gym today saying they were now taking names for their triathlon club that's starting up over the next couple of weeks.. the aim is to do the dublin triathlon in august. due to work i might not be able to put in the full training for this so i may do the duathlon instead, but i'll start the full training so i have an option closer to the time. kinda excited about this, and it will persuade me to get a new bike which is badly needed. :)

having one of those weeks mentioned above.. im feeling really crappy emotionally, physically and basically ****e. i would quite happily just sit down and flake for the day but i can't cause of the damn addiction to miles :mad: so just went for just under 5miles so i can relax a little... its weeks like today i wish i was lazy and content with that.. ah well..

haven't done a tap since wednesday..really not feeling it at all this week, running out of steam a little. did a session on the magazine hills this morning and apparantly i looked very strong but i jujst wanted to do it and get it over with. started at the fort and went up and down the dips, turned left and straight bck down towards the fort. got 2mins recovery between each one.

2.37, 2.35, 2.33, 2.33, 2.31, 2.28.

bit of a big range there, but i just needed to do something

went for an easy 30mins last night to ease out the legs. woke up this morning with what i think was a trapped nerve in my hip - whatever it was it really really hurt :( rubbed some tiger balm on it and tried to manipulate and stretch it a bit, duno which worked but something did and i was good to go. did just over 12 miles, 95mins running, was a really nice day so just took it easy and enjoyed it

did one of the nike workouts yesterday (NTC app for iphone, look it up, on youtube too) and was really feeling it today :( my poor legs! was in work too so walking up the stairs is usually enough after that, but convinced myself to just go for half an hr. need to loosen up before a session tomorrow, and think the 30mins did just that for me

wed i didn't do anything cause i was working til late but i got off early on thurs cause it was my last day on that ward which meant i had time to make the group run. did an extremely comfortable 10 miles (77mins). felt abso amazing. today just went for an easy 6miles, and felt horrible even though it was a gorgeous day. slept for a few hrs when i came hme so i might be brewing something. session tomorrow, either hills or track not sure yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

How is the shift work treating you? Have found it can make things really hard not just in terms of making time for the runs but also just motivation, how the body feels and recovery from hard work. Fair play for keeping going through it if you can get through that there will be no problem during the summer months

ecoli wrote: »
    How is the shift work treating you? Have found it can make things really hard not just in terms of making time for the runs but also just motivation, how the body feels and recovery from hard work. Fair play for keeping going through it if you can get through that there will be no problem during the summer months

found the first couple of weeks grand, was still gtting good runs in, even did a 6am 1 (which i will never do again by myself-need support on those runs). second 2 weeks was tough going, and was finding it hard even on my days off to get moving, but im finished with the shift work for 8 weeks and then il have 9mnths of it.. which will be interesting.. find my diet is just a disaster when im working, so really need to get strict on that when i start next

• Advertisement

hit the hills today, did a variation of short hills, 4 sets of 4. was tough enough but felt ok. long run tomorrow :D

long run done, funny kind of a morning, lovely but with a bit of a nip. 94mins easy, felt bit heavy today but was do-able

had a lazy day yesterday and did abso nothing but stuff my face!

did a good session tonight, did intervals of the triangle at the hole in the wall (for those who don't know, its about 8/900 meters, closer to 900 id say) did 6xtriangles every 5mins. every one i did in 2.37 so was happy out

forgot to mention, looks like ive got my first race of the yr this weekend - intervarisity xcountry.. no one told me it was 5k :mad::(:eek: but i said id do it so gta stand by my word...

Did a good bit today but was all easy pace wise. Did a favor for my mam and took a few of the girls running in the schools this weekend for an easy 40mins or there abouts then went for a run with the university girls later in the eve, and that was about 70mins. Felt better on the longer run. If I can keep my head and my nerves in check I should b ok for the weekend :/

just did a bootcamp style workout today and a quick walk, tapering down for this race saturday. will do a few miles tomorrow to freshen the legs up but nothing too strenuous

So did my first race of the year - the universities xcountry in Waterford I.t. It was a PROPER course, very hilly, but what a day for it. Not sure on my final placing but I was defo top 15 (think I was 14th) which was where I wanted to be so am happy with that. I was also pleasantly surprised to find I was the 4th Dcu girl home :) UCD had a very strong team and will be that way for the next few yrs I'd say. Overall, after my first race in 11mnths, I'm happy

no sunday run this week as was at a funeral down the country but gt out for a fast hour this eve and did a bit of a bedroom circut this morning aswell.. the weight has piled on the past couple of weeks so want to start looking the part as well as running the part :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

roseybear wrote: »
    ..and did a bit of a bedroom circut this morning aswell.. :P

what's a bedroom circuit ? ;)

dna_leri wrote: »
    what's a bedroom circuit ? ;)

was waiting for that..there's always one :p

• Advertisement

so ran down to the polo grounds this morning to help the mister with his session. between the run down and the running with/after him and the run home prob covered about 4 miles maybe?

then did my session this eve, in belvedere grounds on the navan road (nice to run on the grass). for those who don't know the grounds, its roughly 800meters a lap (200m either side). so did 7x600m with 2 mins recovery. didn't push it too hard, just got on and did them. times were :
    2.17, 2.16, 2.15, 2.16, 2.13, 2.10, 2.09

was alright, was my first time there in a good few mnths so the first few were just getting the feel of it again, if i was to do it next week i'd say they'd all be in the 2.13 range.

going for an easy run and hopefully the gym for a circut tomorrow

Advertisement