Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK roaming charges

Options
  • 18-01-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I'm heading to the UK for a few weeks.
    Is there a way I can avoid international roaming data charges?
    How can I go about getting a UK micro sim, PAYG I guess, in advance?
    If I can get a UK micro sim I guess I can insert it in an unblocked iP and receive/send my mails on same?
    Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭jeoun

Why not get a 3 Ireland sim card. You can use it on the 3 UK network for the same rates as home, no roaming charges. You can even use the data.

Or take a trip to NI and buy a sim card there.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭RnR

jeoun wrote: »
    Why not get a 3 Ireland sim card. You can use it on the 3 UK network for the same rates as home, no roaming charges. You can even use the data.

Or take a trip to NI and buy a sim card there.

Thanks. I just did a edit on my post. Its the crazy international roaming DATA charges I trying to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Jeoun beat me to it, no roaming with 3 between Ireland and the UK (among other countries such as Austria, Italy and more)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

3 is the only possibility, Vodafone and especially O2 charge you big for data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Vodafone have a good deal for internet across europe if you use the live APN.

I just bought a UK O2 card while i was over there. Much cheaper and from what i remember they sold them at the airport.

• Advertisement

Vodafone have a good deal for internet across europe if you use the live APN.

It is not rational that Vodafone have a different arrangement for Passport for UK calls, but still charge you the same as Albania for data.

ardmacha wrote: »
    It is not rational that Vodafone have a different arrangement for Passport for UK calls, but still charge you the same as Albania for data.

Maybe not but it's better than meteor offer. (I'm on meteor).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Look, both the Meteor and Vodafone offers for data roaming in the UK are poor.

3, in this case, is really your only option.

Fungus wrote: »

I understand meteor but why is vodafone so bad? What is it 99c to roam in UK? Or is it 2.99 now? Much cheaper than O2 or meteor.

3 might be cheaper but i have yet to meet one person (IRL) who is happy they are on 3.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

TBi wrote: »
    I understand meteor but why is vodafone so bad? What is it 99c to roam in UK? Or is it 2.99 now? Much cheaper than O2 or meteor.

3 might be cheaper but i have yet to meet one person (IRL) who is happy they are on 3.

Their service in the UK/NI is terrific, only here that it can be bad for some.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Fungus wrote: »

I disagree, vodafone data is the same as home when you use the Live! APN. I travel to the UK regularly and access my emails etc this way without additional charges.

Fair Enough. The only point I was trying to make is that the 3 offer of free data roaming, provided you have it in your domestic package, is by a long shot the best value UK data roaming offer.

I disagree, vodafone data is the same as home when you use the Live! APN. I travel to the UK regularly and access my emails etc this way without additional charges.

This only continues to be true for people on legacy bill tariffs.
    The OP cannot get a legacy tariff.

Vodafone is reasonable value, but 3 is best.

ardmacha wrote: »
    This only continues to be true for people on legacy bill tariffs.
    The OP cannot get a legacy tariff.

Very good point that it is a legacy tariff which makes the Vodafone data roaming point null and void for the OP.

Advertisement