Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Lights

Options
  • 18-01-2012 9:08pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else see them last night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

Are you out in the country?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Was driving out towards Ballon, had to stop to make sure I wasn't mixing up with lights from one of the towns/villages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

I'm raging I did'nt see it. What was it like? I have been watching out for them for the last couple of weeks and last night was the very night I did'nt look out for them. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

My awareness of the skies has been heightened recently but unfortinately i have yet to witness!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Green to blue to almost a faint pink. Was thrilled to see them, never had before as I live in a town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

arrghh missed them, wonder will they be around for much longer...

(runs off to try get info on google! :pac::pac:)

tommycahir wrote: »
    arrghh missed them, wonder will they be around for much longer...

(runs off to try get info on google! :pac::pac:)

I thought it was potentially visible until March?

Hopefully get some more time to stare North!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

some more info :)

From Astronomy Ireland
    Yesterday (Thursday) afternoon, a coronal mass ejection (CME) and a class-M solar flare erupted from the Sun, sending material almost directly towards Earth. This cloud of charged material is expected to arrive at Earth on Saturday night at roughly 10:30pm, but conditions within the cloud and in space can possibly alter this by a number of hours.

When it arrives, there is a small chance that the aurora borealis (northern lights) will be visible from Ireland. We suggest keeping an eye on the northern sky from 6pm on Saturday evening and throughout the night, into Sunday morning. If it appears, the aurora will have a green and/or red colour, most likely just over the northern horizon.

Ideally it is best to watch the aurorae from a location as far north as possible, but depending on the strength of the CME from the Sun, they can be visible further south. We recommend picking anywhere that has a dark sky with a clear northern horizon.

What should we expect to see, a constant glare or sporadic flashes?

WhatI saw was a constanty light, slowly changing colour in parts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement