Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blu ray recorder

• 18-01-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there I was looking into purchasing a blu ray recorder hdd multi region DVD with 2 scart adaptors.I can't find any in Ireland.I came across the Panasonic dmr bwt 700eb in the uk,I spoke to a few dealers in uk who told me it wouldn't work properly here,then I came across a dmr bwt 700ec from pixmania I think it's French,my understanding is France&ireland are mpeg4,has anyone bought one of these models and if so do they work here.I'm told for a device to work here it needs mpeg4,mheg5,dvb-t-t2,h.264 level4,avc,he-aac(aac+).what I want to do is I have a collection of VHS tapes I want to record onto blu ray disc,I also want to record tv programmes onto blu ray disc.I have sky+ and a 7 year old Sony sdtv just waiting for it to give up the ghost before I buy HDTV.Any advice or alternate options would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Hi there I was looking into purchasing a blu ray recorder hdd multi region DVD with 2 scart adaptors.I can't find any in Ireland.I came across the Panasonic dmr bwt 700eb in the uk,I spoke to a few dealers in uk who told me it wouldn't work properly here,then I came across a dmr bwt 700ec from pixmania I think it's French,my understanding is France&ireland are mpeg4,has anyone bought one of these models and if so do they work here.I'm told for a device to work here it needs mpeg4,mheg5,dvb-t-t2,h.264 level4,avc,he-aac(aac+).what I want to do is I have a collection of VHS tapes I want to record onto blu ray disc,I also want to record tv programmes onto blu ray disc.I have sky+ and a 7 year old Sony sdtv just waiting for it to give up the ghost before I buy HDTV.Any advice or alternate options would be greatly appreciated
    I think using blank Blu-Rays as your media is a bad idea. Firstly they are very costly, and secondly they're actually quite hard to come by. They also won't be around forever. You're best bet is to go for hard disk to back up your VHS tapes.
    To be honest, that Panasonic unit is very good, but very dear. Most new TV's now allow you to record directly onto a hard disk. So your cheapest option would be a regular blu-ray player for playing back blu-rays, a hard disk solution for recording live TV, and pay someone to back up your VHS collection to a hard disk.
    I assume the footage on VHS is all from camcorder? Because it's not a great idea to bother with backing up films from VHS. The quality is poor enough as it is and will get much worse in the conversion, and you'll end up with large files and you'll be paying money to do it. You'd re-buy most old films from play.com on DVD for less than a fiver I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Xygthophase3

Thanks tea 1000 for the info and advice I found a multi region DVD dmr bwt 700 in uk for £359 maplin in blanchardstown sell blank blu ray or uk selling 25 pack for £45

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why blu ray?

Storage capacity and I'm told blu ray have a long archival life I want to record programmes that are 3-4 hours long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why not Hard Drive? Isn't that cheaper per MB/GB? Much more convenient too.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what the best option is I want to record f1 and afl from my sky+ I also have region 4 DVDs I want to watch hence multi region DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭GOODME

Xygthophase3 any luck?

I am also thinking of buying a recorder to record programs esp documentaries from my sky+? will prefer to record and put on dvd.

Anyone know the cheapest I can use to do this?

Hi goodme I went ahead and purchased the Panasonic dmr bwt 700 eb from multi region magic in uk not cheap €475 including postage it will play and record DVD and blu ray it can also play multi region DVD I had it connected playing DVD and bd I have a friend coming over on Wednesday to help me set it up to record I've been told it's not soarview compatible hd programmes may be copy protected but I just want to connect it to my sky+ and record programmes to blu ray because I can get 13 hours sdtv onto bd I will let you know how I get on with recording

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Hi All,

I have been looking into this as I am planning on buying a new PVR to replace my existing DVD / HDD Recorder (as it's not Saorview compatible). Anyway - I am watching out for a PVR that would meet all of the following criteria:
    • Capable of viewing and recording Saorview Channels
    • Capable of viewing and recording Freeview HD channels
    • In-built Blu Ray player (to replace the DVD player in my current PVR for watching DVDs and adding a few BluRays to my collection).
    • Dual tuner is a mustt hese days also.

I've seen a few on the market, but they seem pricey:
    Panasonic DMR BWT800EB Blu ray Recorder Freeview+HD

Side Notes:
    • I'm not too worried if it is not 100% Saorview approved, as long as the main functionality works (EPG, Digital Text and Series Link whenever it's available).
    • Freeview HD would be useful because I'm in an area that is likely to get NI overspill - we receive all the terrestrial channels at the moment with good clarity, and had the UK digital channels recently during the good weather, and they're not at full power yet.
    • I was hoping for something cheaper (and don't need the 3D maguffins, either)
    • Panasonic also have a sketchy past with Saorview compatibility, too.

Does anyone have any other recommendations? Personal Experience?
    Or should we just sit tight until October to wait and see what's out there?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭tmull

I have had a Panasonic DMr 750 Blu-ray recorder with twin Freesat tuners now for about six months. Recording is outstanding especially in HD.As my five year old Sony dvd recorder finally packed up after burning at least 3000 discs I looked around for a replacement. As I had been following the treads here on Freeview+ and Saorview I had an idea of what would work and what would not. I settled on the Panasonic DMR 720 and accepted delivery on Thursday.This has twin Freeview + tuners and a 1TB hhd. It is not Saorview approved ,I believe because Panasonic will not acceed to the exorbiedient fee that is required to obtain this. However it works a treat in picture quality and on decoding the text. What is missing is the EPG for the Saorview channels.As I record a lot of films from my motorised satellite system the large hhd was a magor consideration for me.It does that job to my complete satisfaction. As the pound ,euro exchange rate is now so poor I actually sourced it here in Ireland at a far better deal than I could obtain in the UK.The point of this post is to confirm that Freeview+ ,at least as in the Panasonics decodes the Saorview channels.If any tecnical audio guys are reading this could you help me please@ I have a Phillips soundbar which has no optical audio input. As I have two bluray recorders and a HD satellite receiver is there any switch available that will accept three coaxial inputs to one coaxial output. I could get an optical switch easily but cannot find the coaxial one. Or any other method if one can be accepted. TMULL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newleaf

Was also thinking of getting the Panasonic DMR 720. Concerned about a few things, maybe you could help -
    1. Do Saorview channels get permanently assigned to the 800 range or can user change this?
    2. When a prog is recorded (in the DR mode which seems obligatory) can it be watched in that mode before the "conversion" process is used or does conversion happen automatically?
    3. any trouble with copy protected HD programmes?
    4. does the "conversion" process always have to take place before copying to DVD or Blu-Ray. Seems cumbersome as it takes place in real time when machine in standby.
    Thanks in advance!

Newleaf,I havent tried to alter the configuration on the channel numbering. As there are so few stations on the Saorview package it is not a major issue for me. And yes playback from the hhd is broadcast quality but with RTE2 the only HD channel it is the only one that gives full quality to the playback.However as the recorder upscales the sd pictures the playback from other channels is also pretty impressive. I have more HD channels on my 750 as it is a freesat box. I agree the file conversion is a bit confusing and to be thruthfull I still havent come to terms with it.Be aware that Panasonic is dropping their Freesat bluray recorders and have given away somewhat to the pressure of the American movie industry in limiting their connectivity in the 720.The only way to connect any external boxes is now down to two scart inputs.Samsung ,to maintain their American market have capatilated almost completely to the pressure and most Samsung boxes cannot accept any other input. This is basically to prevent copying on to other media.As I said earlier I have the 750 and the 720. I wish the 750 had the 1tb hhd but I manage fairly well with the 250 on the 750 as I either copy to dvd or eliminate some content to keep a bit of space. Good luck with your purchase if you decide to buy. TMULL

I posted above that the 720 had limited epg content.Sorry for that but on reading the manual a bit more I discovered I was trying to access the wrong way. The epg is one of the best I have come across as as far as I can see the whole days programmes are displayed. The manuals for these two boxes are very complicated. I own the Freesat 750 now for about six months but am still learning new features about it.I would recommend any of these two to members. TMULL

Thanks for that! Do I take it then that if you record something even in HD, you can watch it back immediately without having to wait for conversion to take place? Is conversion only an issue when you want to copy to DVD/Blu Ray?
    Yes I agree about manuals and features - I've an an analogoue DVD Recorder for over a year with Hard Disk, and I'm still learning. At least I'll be familiar with Panasonic interface. I presume you can still name recordings, delete ads etc?

Newleaf,Yes you can watch a HD programme in its full broadcast quality as often as you like.I got a present of a few blank bluray discs on buying the 720 but I still have not used them.I have used a fair few dvds and have many options. To keep the highest quality on serious stuff I want to keep I can set the quality by selecting one of the many speeds.The list includes for recording bluray(I think)DR_HG_HX_HE_HL AND HM. For recording on to dvd you have the followinf choices XP_SP_LP_EP and FR.As an example I recorded the five epesodes of The Wonders of the Solar System from BBC Four on to dvds in the highest quality available in the dvd range,that is XP. this means that a one hour programwill fill the entire 4.5gbs available on a recordable dvd. If by chance the program was even one minute over the hour the Panasonic will tell you it cannot do it at that setting but can do it on the next one down. The dvd on XP has wonderful detail,almost HD quality.The editing features are more than anyone needs, Titles can be named,elimited,partially deleted for the ads etc ,divided,locked and a host of other things. To get a really good review of any of these boxes just Google :Brian Lees Panasonic Bluray recorder reviews: It is part of the Amazon website.Hope this post is useful to you.TMULL

Another update on the DMR720. As I would not normally record from any Saorview channels.I assumed that this would be normal on such a high-teck machine. My granddaughter asked me to record the Saturday movie from RTE at the weekend and the machine did the job as asked. On putting the recording on to dvd I became aware that the picture was recording but not the audio. I ended up with a film on dvd but no sound on it. I spent yesterday going into the menu and altering the audio parameters in every possible way but all Saorview channels record and playback perfectly on the hhd but remain silent on recording to dvds.Recordings from my satellite boxes through the av inputs are perfect on hhd and dvd. Got on to the Panasonic store this morning to be informed that they are aware of the problem and are awaiting a responce from Panasonics teck dept. and that they will be in touch in the near future. I shall post again on the action they might come up with. At the moment the box is not fit for purpose. TMULL

Thanks for update, reckon I won't buy yet so. What mode were you recording on? A high def option or standard DVD? To Blu Ray Disc or to DVD? Happening on HD (RTE 2) and/or SD? Thanks for link to Brian Lee's reviews on Amazon. Impressive. Maybe he'd have an idea what's happening.

All channels on the Saorview package.Ordinary dvds.I almost always use -rs. I set the mode to sp and I recorded a clip from all channels. No problem playing back from the hhd and the quality of picture on the dvd is up to standard.It just will not record the audio.A clip alongside any of these on the hdd records as expected.It is very hard to explain if one set of audio that was put on the hhd from the av input can record on to dvd how come audio from the tuner itself wont record? Panasonic will have to put their heads together on this one.TMULL

No fix yet. On contacting the dealer on Monday I was told that they were awaiting a responce from Panasonic.Not hearing anything I phoned yesterday to be told that a girl in the shop had being playing around with the settings and sorted the problem but unfortunatly took herself off to the Olimpics and they do not know what she did.Yes,and I was born yesterday. Having spent most of last Monday playing around with the settings in the menu I again spent most of yesterday afternoon altering audio in the menu and testing but to no avail.I emailed the store this morning to state that to me the box is not fit for purpose and I dont intend to be stuck with it. Is there any member reading these posts that owns a Panasonic 720 box? I would love to know weather the problem is specific to my box or is it a problem with all of them.TMULL

Progress at last.The dealer tested in the shop and says he has no problem.Also that he has no negitive feedback. He suggested as he had made the connection with a scart lead would I disconnect the hmdi and test with the scart.As the lead is the only way for the box to communicate to the tv it couldent have any way of interfering with what the box puts on the harddrive.Having connected the scart I recorded about ten clips from Saorview channels. I also recorded two from a satellite box through the av ports as another test. To my horror all Saorview clips had perfect picture and no sound on any of them. The two av clips played back perfectly. I packed it in at midnight and had another go this morning. Lo and behold all ten clips had sound on the hhd and on burning on to a dvd recorded as they should. I am now a bit baffled but as I leave my Bluray recorders ion stand-by all night as per instructions in the manual I now believe that I have a file conversion problem that can be sorted out in the menu (if I knew how) If I can record on to dvd a day after recording I will manage that.As there is no recent input to this post in all probality I am talking to my self so I shall cease posting on this topic unless someone can help or needs advice. Goodbye to anyone who reads this.TMULL

• Advertisement

Hi, glad to see you've made some progress even if you're not quite sure why! In the end I postponed getting the box for now, but did look up Brian Lee's reviews of the machine on Amazon as you suggested and put the problem to him (not mentioning you specifically). Here's his reply, more questions than answers but it might help. Maybe you could have a look at his posts on Amazon and clarify anything for him:

"Sorry about the delay in replying - been a bit busy - and your query is not a trivial one ...

It is difficult for me to diagnose from a distance - and I know very little detail about Saorview but here goes ...

I need clarification of exactly what your contact was trying to do. Was it:

copy an HD programme to DVD or
    copy an SD programme to DVD

and was it definitely a DVD he was trying to copy to or a BD? (Some people use DVD as a generic term for "disc")

and was it a DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW or DVD+RW?

And when he says the sound is "gone" - was it OK if playing the disc on the Panny but gone on a different player? Or was the sound missing even if playing back on the Panny?

If it was an HD programme - did it have Dolby Digital sound originally?

If it was HD and using Dolby Digital sound originally and was being copied to BD in HG, HX, HE, HL or HM mode (for playing back OK on a standard Blu-Ray player) then there is an option for setting the audio during conversion to 2-channel, because if the original audio has "less than 5.1 channels" or if the audio sampling frequency is not 48kHz then (it says) "some audio channels cannot be recorded".

Function Menu - Others - Setup - Sound - Audio for HG/HX .../HM Recording

If it was HD and using Dolby Digital sound originally and was being copied to DVD-R, it needed to be converted to SP or XP prior to copying (I always use convert-in-standby as the resultant copy to DVD is very fast). In which case there are options to downmix the audio to ordinary stereo or Surround Encoded stereo using:

Function Menu - Others - Setup - Sound - Downmix

It is possible that the player and/or audio system used for playback can't handle Surround Encoded stereo (although I have never come across any problem with this before.

If the programme ws being copied to DVD+/-RW then I'm not sure how this would work out! I would try a copy to DVD-R as being the best type of DVD to try copying to.

Hope this gives you some ideas where to start looking!"

Newleaf,Very interesting responce. I did try to post on his website but about four weeks ago I got a nasty virus on my computor.This virus had my computor repair man in a fix and I had to give him permission to wipe my harddrive.And I was supposed to be procted by McFee. Since then I have major problems with my computor so I couldent contact Brian on his site. I shall try again tomorrow. An update on my situation is ,say I record three clips or programmes.Maybe one is as it should be but the other two have no sound on the hhd. Today I recorded four bits of the London olimpics. Two played back ok and two played back with no sound including Katies boxing final. The owner of the Panasonic store is having similar problems in the store and was expecting some definate news from Panasonic by last Wednersday but I havent heard from him since. I shall speak to him tomorrow and post here again. Initially I deleted the clips that had no sound but over the past two weeks I have kept all on the harddrive to be able to prove my point if push comes to shove.Having the 750 as well as the 720 gives me a bit of advantage on the experience side and I am now convinced that it is not a menu setting problen but more likely a software problem. The box received a software upgrade over the internet about a week ago and I thought that was the fix but alas no.Thank you for your input. TMULL

Newleaf,A further update for you.I left the box in standby mode after Katies fight yesterday.As I said it recorded without sound but on powering up the box last night I was admazed to find that all the clips that I recorded yesterday now had sound. I always set the Record mode to Sp and I find that on the HHD if the recording does be in SP that the sound is ok but I now find that even though the Rec.mode is set to SP it sometimes records in DR.If it records in DR the sound seems to be missing.As the box is then powered down the conversion takes place in standby mode and on powering up again the sound is there. At least after yesterdays experience it seems the only logical explaination to me. On checking today the only clips on my HHD without sound are those recorded on or before the 3-8-2012. Which may suggest why I received a software update last week. I spoke to the store manager this morning and he addmitted that they were having problems in the store as well. He is in touch with Panasonic who are trying to replicate the problem for themselves. I have offered my box with all the recorded clips to the store and to Panasonic to test if required. I am a member of Amazon but I cannot for some reason get into Brians full reviews where I was going to tell him the problem directly. I have a feeling that his question and answer section may have been deleted. If there is any further news I shall post here. I wish some other owner would come on board so we could jointly sort out the problems. Thank you again for your help and input.TMULL

Box now over a month old and still having some problems. I thought the software upgrade was the fix but not a complete one. Most of my recordings if they do not have sound on the hhd immediatly after the recording finishes(some do,some dont)usually have it restored overnight as the box is in standby.On Sunday just before I went out I set the recorder to record two programmes at the same time.It recorded as set up but sound only on the tuner 1 recording and no sound on tuner 2 recording. 48hours later the sound has not appeared.Three weeks now for Panasonic to come up with a solution. I can record the Saorview channels no bother from my Tecnomate 6900 witch has an MPG 4 tuner and is connected to both of my Panasonic boxes through their av ports.Why the 720 wont do what it is supposed to do has me beat. If I get any decent news I shall post it here.TMULL

Newleaf, I managed to find the page I was looking for on Brians site but when I tried to post a question to him all I could find was a little box about 2inches high and about 1.5 inches across to write my question in . Am I doing something wrong? TMULL

Re the Amazon little box I think it's just a matter of typing your message - it all goes in but you can only see a bit of it at a time. Strange I know.
    I was in Limerick last Sat and called into the Panasonic Store to see the machine for myself and ask a few questions. They were well aware of the problems (presumably through you!) and I was impressed by their approach. One of the shop assistants had taken it home to work through the problems and while I think she had some success (I think in getting sound on HDD) I don't think she was entirely happy that the sound issue was resolved when archiving to DVD. The matter is ongoing!
    It's surely a pity as it seems to be the only decent machine out there that can record digital TV and archive to built in disc player. Do you know if similar problems happen with the 700 machine, or earlier Freeview HD machines?
    She reckons Panasonic won't do one specifically for Ireland as the market isn't big enough and Saorview compliance certification is very expensive.

I am not familar with any of the other Panasonic Freeview recorders. The 750 that I own since January is a brilliant machine.It does everything that it is supposed to do but is a Freesat box rather than a Freeview one.I would be unlikely to record any decent amount of material from the Saorview package anyway and if I did want to keep anything I would record it through the av ports of the machine from the Saorview package on my Tecnomate 6900HD satellite receiver.My main satellite receiver is a Spiderbox 9000 linked up to a motorised 1.2 meter Channel Master dish covering the arc from 42E to 30W. I receive some wonderful film packages so you can see how insignifent the Saorview package is to me.Hopefully the issiues with the 720 will be resolved soon but if not I think I shall stick with it as it does enough for me.It is a horrible morning here in Cobh Co. Cork this morning.Hopefully you are enjoying better weather. Thank you again for your input and help.TMULL

Got an email from the Panasonicstore that a Panasonic rep had called to them to invistagate the problem.As the store has a box connected up and showing similar problems to mine the rep was stumpped. It is now in the hands of the Tech.Dept of Panasonic and the store manager is hopeful of a solution sooner rather than later. Logically if one thinks about it they have a fairly big problem on their hands.As I see it if the solution is not found the box surely will have to be withdrawn from the Irish market.Then they will have to decide what to do with the customers that already have the box? I am grateful that I bought in Ireland as if I had bought in the UK I believe I now would not be in a position to anything about it. All my emails have been forwarded to the Panasonic people so until I get an update there is no point in posting here again.As for not being Saorview approved I do no blame Panasonic for that. Apparently the approval process has a fee of 25000Euro. This fee was mostly likely set at the height of the Celtic Tiger and is a classic example of Rip-off Ireland at its best.You would have to sell an awful lot of recorders to get that kind of lolly back. TMULL

Latest news is that someone in Panasonic is reffering the problem back to the factory engineers.More or less admitting that their UK technicians hadent a clue about the problem.I rather expected this to be the case. Their initial responce was that it was designed for the UK market,but that dident wear. After all they released it on the Irish market and I believe if I had purchased in the UK Panasonic would in all probility still trot out that excuse. The responce from the factory engineers we hope will be sooner rather than later as on now I believe sales of this product are on hold. I have informed Panasonic UK of the negitive publicity the box is receiving here in Ireland.TMULL

• Advertisement

Thanks for the valuable updates! Yes, cost of Saorview certification is prohibitive, but you'd think they'd produce a model for the Irish market that is Saorview compatible even if it doesn't have the official badge, as was the case with the Viera TV I have. No one seems to be doing a hard disk recorder with DVD archiving that's compatible - I'd love one with two tuners even if it only archived to standard DVD. A lot of what you find online just has analogue or Freeview, neither of which gets Saorview. Surely some brand could find a market for a machine that does Freeview HD in GB and Irish spillover areas, and that gets Saorview in the Republic. In the meantime it's a watching brief! The 720
    is too expensive to take a chance with. I wonder if earlier BluRay recorders had similar problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

TMull

I notice some problems recording sound on Freeview are being reported in UK.
    May help to push the Saorview sound problem towards resolution. See post # 322 from Avforums below.
    Is the sound reliable now on the HDD ? - if so I presume I could copy recordings via scart to my other DVD recorder for archiving if needed. Does it allow that for both SD and HD recordings ?

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-recorders-media/1627259-panasonic-dmr-bwt720eb-twin-hd-bluray-recorder-1tb-master-thread-12.html

Bridster 007, Thank you for your input. I am a member of that forum but have not been active there for some time. I shall study their posts and report further here. I hope to speak to the store people later this morning and see if they have any news back. The UK problems will bring this problem to a head surely. I am going out now so shall bring ye all up to date later this evening.TMULL

Spoke to the Panasonic store people this morning but sadly no news yet. One certain individual is the contact with the factory engineers and he keeps in touch with the store. My own 720 still has problems in that about one in five recordings is affected whit the No Sound problem.I have recorded a few late night films just for test purposes and most have sound when I test them but the occasional one for some reason does not. One particular film from one of the RTE channels that I wanted to see is silent.I can record from the same channel on different nights and end up with one of them affected. Had I recorded that film from my Saorview HD sat receiver through the av ports of the 720 I would not have the problem.It is a good box but not fit for purpose.
    That thread you posted is interesting and seem to be pointing to a diffrent sound problem to mine. I might stick a few posts on there and see what responce comes from it. If I get any worthwile information I shall post it here. No point in coming on here without an update.TMULL

It is so long since I posted on that other forum that I had forgotten my login details. I have re-registered today and posted my problems there. Advice received is to wait it out and it will proberly eventually fixed.TMULL

Today I was asked by the Panasonic store to return the 720 to them for testing.Also an offer of refund or new box.Box has been posted so I will let ye know how I get on. TMULL

• Advertisement

Thinking the OP problems were specific to the blu ray recorder version only, I bought the related model DMR-PWT420 over the w/e and found the same problems with sound on Saorview reordings. All Freeview recordings perfect. Have returned it to the store.

The problem relates to sound playback, not recording. All recordings played fine with sound on my PC when connected over the network. They just won't play with sound on the unit.
    The problems only arose when I updated to v1.04 firmware (have to do this to use the internet function).
    I could get no sound onany TV3 or TG4 recordings and about 50% on RTE recordings. There semed to be no problem with RTE HD recordings though. Strangely, the sound for all stations inc TV3 was present via the live pause function when rewinded. I reckon it is a simple problem to fix so will wait to buy again if Panasonic release a fix. I emailed them today.

Otherwise its a fantastic machine. Saorview and Freeview on one EPG, can record from both at same time. Channels can be sorted to put Saorview at the top. Can copy the recordings onto PC using XBMC. It is both a DLNA server and client. Nice clean interface. Netflix/Youtube/Dailymotion and various other apps available. Timeslip function also.

One niggle is that the network/internet services cannot be used when recording. Also did not carry the detail program information for Saorview. It populates the EPG ok, just does not have the 3 or 4 lines of detail info behind it. This is strange as even my non-approved Panasonic TV from 2010 carries this. Digital teletext is working fine. Also cannot select recording quality like other machines. Everything is in DR Mode which makes files very big and reduces recording limits.

Iam still waiting for news back from the Panasonic store. The 720 also does not give the extra information on the epg but I imagine a software upgrade should sort it out .But with so few channals on the Saorview package it is not a big deal.I am surprised that you cannot alter the recording from DR.Have you a conversion option on that machine?All these machines have very good reviews on Brian Lees review page of the Amason website. There is also a very good section on all these machines ,under the heading Blu-ray Recorders on the avforums forum. Hope this is helpful.TMULL

tmull wrote: »
    Iam still waiting for news back from the Panasonic store. The 720 also does not give the extra information on the epg but I imagine a software upgrade should sort it out .But with so few channals on the Saorview package it is not a big deal.I am surprised that you cannot alter the recording from DR.Have you a conversion option on that machine?All these machines have very good reviews on Brian Lees review page of the Amason website. There is also a very good section on all these machines ,under the heading Blu-ray Recorders on the avforums forum. Hope this is helpful.TMULL

No converion option unfortunately. Only DR. Conversion option exists on the 720 to facilitate reducing size for DVD recording. Would need the 1 TB version then because even though I can archive recordings to my NAS, I cannot play them back again on the recorder. It doesn't see them. Only another DIGA unit can see them as a client.They would need to be converted on the pc to some other format. May consider the 720 if the sound is fixed up.

There is no doubt that this range is the rolls royce of recorders, just need to get the Saorview issue sorted.

Spoke to Panasonic support today.
    They said they won't be investigating or fixing any issues relating to Saorview as it's not certified for Saorview..
    He said however, that they will release a Panasonic Saorview approved recorder in Mid 2013.

They are trying to wash their hands of the problems with the 720.But why did they release it on the Irish market in July.It is incapable of receiving the Irish analogue channels so if it is not capable of recording the Irish digital channels what was the point of releasing it in Ireland? I got a call on Wednesday evening from the Panasonic store stating that my box was being tested later that evening and a decision on weather to give me a replacement 720 or possible refund would be made on Thursday. hearing nothing I rang later this afternoon to be told that the person who tested was out of the store and her report was not yet submitted.They also think that the problem may be only on my box as they are not getting any other feedback on it.So I await with abated breath the outcome of this long running saga.I shall post here with the outcome.TMULL

• Advertisement

They are trying to wash their hands of the problems with the 720.But why did they release it on the Irish market in July.It is incapable of receiving the Irish analogue channels so if it is not capable of recording the Irish digital channels what was the point of releasing it in Ireland? I got a call on Wednesday evening from the Panasonic store stating that my box was being tested later that evening and a decision on weather to give me a replacement 720 or possible refund would be made on Thursday. hearing nothing I rang later this afternoon to be told that the person who tested was out of the store and her report was not yet submitted.They also think that the problem may be only on my box as they are not getting any other feedback on it.So I await with abated breath the outcome of this long running saga.I shall post here with the outcome.TMULL

The 720 has other uses on the Irish market as it has a scart input so people use it for sky archiving. Peats in Dublin sell it but only for this function and not Saorview. The 420 model I had, had no scart input so no excuse like that. Currys returned it for me no problem but when buying I got them to write on receipt that I could return if there was a problem with Saorview. Had assumed you got your money back though. That's a poor show.

No news yet.If you read my earlier posts here you will see that I consider the Saorview issue a miner problem. As I had done a fair bit of research into both dvd and bluray recorders before I purchased I knew what I wanted. One of my main requirements was external inputs into the recorder. That ruled out almost all other recorders except the Panasonic range.Samsung does not have scart or component inputs into their recorders as they have given in to the pressure coming from American media companys who do not want anyone to be able to record their programmes to keep and to copy.As I have two HD satellite boxes hooked up to my two bluray recorders I intend to keep the 720 alongside my 750. If I need to record a Saorview programme I can do so from my Tecnomate 6900 which has a digital HD tuner that decodes the Saorview package.If you could live without the Saorview package I would recommend one of the Panasonic freesat recorders whilst you can still get one.Panasonic are or have ceased production of freesat boxes.TMULL

What appeares to be good news received from the store.An employee who owns a 720 has tested my box and changed the settings to the ones in her box.Did a lot of recording and believes she has cured the problem.Being sent out to me today so I should have it back on Wednesday.Will test it again and keep ye updated here.TMULL

What appeares to be good news received from the store.An employee who owns a 720 has tested my box and changed the settings to the ones in her box.Did a lot of recording and believes she has cured the problem.Being sent out to me today so I should have it back on Wednesday.Will test it again and keep ye updated here.TMULL

Interesting.
    Came across this query from someone who has same problem as yourself.
    http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=173203

Looking forward to an update as to the settings needed, as I said earlier, the sound was being recorded on all HDD recordings, just not played back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ambulator

Hi guys. I’m glad I found this forum. I’m the person who was redirected from Askaboutmoney. I am fairly certain that I bought my DMR-BWT720 two weeks ago from the same shop as tmull. I sent it back there this morning presumably for the same fix they did / tried on tmull’s machine.

My problems (all relate to the hard drive. I haven’t even put a blue ray disk or DVD into it yet):

Perfect video recordings from Saorview channels sometimes with sound, sometimes without. Completely random – no discernable pattern - not confined to any particular station.

It gets more bizarre. When I leave on standby overnight and retry to playback the following night, some recordings that did not have sound now have them and vice versa. The following night again, some of the recordings that had “found” their audio content have now lost them again and sometimes vice versa.

I recorded a documentary on TG4 one night as I had work to do. I played back about half of it that same night with sound before going to bed. The following night I tried to watch the 2nd half. You guessed it –picture but no sound.

Another bizarre event. I recorded a programme from RTE2 for my wife. When she played it back it had picture and sound and also the following audio message that was repeated over and over again to the finish “This is the audio description broadcaster mix on embedded audio tracks 5 and 6 on RTE”. Can anybody make sense of that?

The machine records flawlessly from my freesat set top box.

I am most disappointed with the machine. I only bought it as it was going to save me buying a Saorview box. I have a brilliant Pioneer HDD & DVD recorder that has served me well since I’d say about 2003. It is simplicity itself to use, very intuitive and user friendly and has never let me down. Unfortunately it wont record digital TV – hence the Panasonic.

I am also unimpressed with the DMR-BWT720 user manual. I am not a technophile but by no means a technophobe. The manual allows me to access all the settings but it would be nice if it explained what many of the settings are for. It’s a bit like being given a one page manual to operate the large Hadron Collider.

I will inform Panasonic tomorrow that I only want my machine back if it is recording flawlessly on HDD, Blue Ray and DVD. Either that or my money back.

Ambulater,Welcome to the forum.I am expecting my 720 back today and will be the most surprised man in Ireland if a setting change has finally cured the problem.Panasonic has made a bo-bo with this machine and rather than interact with the customers it is now hiding behind the statement that the box is designed for the UK market only.Then why did they release it on the Irish market.In truth,proberly to take Paddy for a ride.There is really no comparable box out there at the moment so problem fixed or not I intend to keep my box. I shall test as much as I can and report here.Now nearly two months after buying the box I firmly believe that Panasonic have no intention on helping us.Can I ask what part of the country you are from?I am in Cobh.Co. Cork. TMULL

“This is the audio description broadcaster mix on embedded audio tracks 5 and 6 on RTE”. Can anybody make sense of that?

This may be what is causing the whole sound problem.
    See below thread about audio description and Saorview. Maybe it is now turned on RTENL. Possibly some programs have it and others not ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75875856

Inadvertantly hitting the AD button on the remote either during recording or playback may be the issue.
    Also a lot of discussion in this thread about AD recording problems on similar Panasonic machines.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-recorders-media/1566067-panasonic-dmr-bs850-audio-commentary-aka-audio-description.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ambulator

There is really no comparable box out there at the moment so problem fixed or not I intend to keep my box. --Can I ask what part of the country you are from?I am in Cobh.Co. Cork. TMULL

Hi TMULL. I live in Galway and I too will be most surprised if a simple settings tweak will solve the problem.

I think ability to record Saorview is more important to me than it is to you as my Pioneer will handle the satellite broadcasts. If they can't fix it, it is no use to me.

Fearing the worst and looking ahead, do you know of any Saorview box that can record to a hard drive (internal or external) or even a USB memory stick? Do you know of any Saorview box with twin tuners?

This AD thing has me pusseled. I though i had tried every combination of settings in the 720 before I returned it to the store. But now it may not be a box fault at all but a broadcast problem. Possibly we will all wake upon the 25th Oct and all will be well.As far as i know there is no Saorview box with twin tuners. You could look what is available on the UK market at ntwin tuner Freeview+ boxes that should decode Saorview and record another channel at the same time.But maybe record to hardddrive only. Sorry i cannot be of more help.TMULL

This AD thing has me pusseled. I though i had tried every combination of settings in the 720 before I returned it to the store. But now it may not be a box fault at all but a broadcast problem. Possibly we will all wake upon the 25th Oct and all will be well.As far as i know there is no Saorview box with twin tuners. You could look what is available on the UK market at ntwin tuner Freeview+ boxes that should decode Saorview and record another channel at the same time.But maybe record to hardddrive only. Sorry i cannot be of more help.TMULL

Having done more research I'm convinced it is the AD problem. This thread referring to Panasonic TVs replicates what I found on recorded clips especially TV3 and TG4. Hence no sound.
    A long thread but worth reading.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079528

Strange that the recorder has no problem with sound when viewing the TV broadcast, only issues when playing back the recording. Wish I had seen this before returning the machine to play around with the AD settings.

As an aside, I think its unbelievable that the PanasonicStore were still selling this machine 2 weeks ago when they themselves had replicated and knew of the problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement