Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blu ray recorder

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

tomasdeb wrote: »
    A final thought.... Why is this not a bigger issue? Is nobody interested in making their own DVDs anymore?

It is an issue to those who understand the differences between composite, s-video (YC) & component signals (RGB & YCbCr), or are even just aware of the better quality inherent with separate channels.

A search of this thread for 'RGB' shows that it was yourself who raised the issue, just now on the last page, so the other posters either don't understand, don't care about quality, or just don't care about recording from an external analogue input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 224 ✭✭tmull

I make a lot of dvds and am always striving for best quality.I now understand that had my recorders been suitably fitted that I could have had better results.I packed up my Sly package due to their crappy programming and the frequent ad breaks.I never believed that their Hd content was true HD as I can compare so many HD programmes on many satellites. But I do a lot of recording from the freesat package.Thank you all for the information.
    Spoke to the Panasonic store this morning and informed that more information on the specs of the new 735 are expected in the next two weeks. Expected price to be 599 Euro. TMULL

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newleaf

Will the new 735 be designed for the Irish market I wonder. And darn, it's silver, hope they produce a black version to go with my other gear.

I would seriously dough if any thing that is that expensive would be specifically designed for the Irish market.The market for these boxes is small. The best we can hope for is after all the negative publicity the received from the release of the 720 last July is that they surely addressed the problems in the new 735. They may be daft but hopefully they are not stupid. TMULL

• Registered Users Posts: 40 tomasdeb

tmull wrote: »
    As I said in previous posts I have given up testing the 720. The problem is in the machine and no playing around with settings will cure the problem.However after all the testing ,and owning the recorder since mid July I can finally make a dvd from the machine.All recordings in DR mode are perfect and it is only on converting that the sound disappears.The logical conclusion then is that the conversion process is at fault.Solution is to permantely turn off the conversion on the machine and record all files in DR mode.Now to make the dvd.
    Put a blank disk into the tray.Select the hhd drive and start to play the file you want to burn to disk.Now press the option button (Not the function menu button).A menu appears and one of the options is .Copy Media Playing, highlight this and press OK.Burning starts in realtime and as you are watching it you can hear it.My first attempt was a one hour long file which recorded perfectly,but as I attempted to put another file on the disk the machine told me there was not enough space on the disk.The DR quality had used up all the disk and I thought that was not a great deal of use if I wanted to burn a two hour film. But I tried and succeded on two films, Apparently the machine compresses the file to fit on the disk.It is now well worth considering the 720 as a decent Saorview PVR. TMULL
    Hi tmull. A quick question on this post. What happens if you try to copy something longer than 2 hours to DVD (without conversion because of the sound problem)? Will say 2.5 hours fit on a DVD?

On another point, I found the spec for the 735 and can confirm that its AV2 input is PAL/NTSC only (as expected).

Tomasdeb, Not a problem. I have recorded a fair number of dvds that exceed two hours. In the Record Mode menu that shows itself when you select Copy you have a good few choices.For a file shorter than two hours I can sometimes make the dvd in High Speed mode.If the machine tells me that This file cannot be copied in high speed then I select SP mode. If the file is longer than two hours I select the FR mode. Both SP and FR are copied in real time rather than high speed. I have made films as long as three hours, And I copied four one hour documentries on to one dvd for my son in Mexico.As I said in previous posts this is an admazing machine. TMULL

Members may be interested in a fairly decent review released yesterday on AVforums.com. As I suspected before the release, the AV inputs are reduced again. Only one scart input against two on the 720.I think Panasonic is slowly giving in to the pressure from the American film and music industry to limit the availability of being able to copy their content.Apparently little things that I would find less important are tweaked in the 735 but if I had a choice between the two,ie the 735 or the 720 I would stick with the one I have. I could not manage two HD satellite receivers with a box that has only one AV input. I cannot imagine how this box has a recommended price of 100 Euro more than the 720. My advice is get hold of a 720 while you can.
    One point raised here recently. Members on the review forum are already asking the RGB question. Has it or hasent it. Most likely not or surely Panasonic would have advertised the fact. TMULL

Members may be interested in a fairly decent review released yesterday on AVforums.com. As I suspected before the release, the AV inputs are reduced again. Only one scart input against two on the 720.I think Panasonic is slowly giving in to the pressure from the American film and music industry to limit the availability of being able to copy their content.Apparently little things that I would find less important are tweaked in the 735 but if I had a choice between the two,ie the 735 or the 720 I would stick with the one I have. I could not manage two HD satellite receivers with a box that has only one AV input. I cannot imagine how this box has a recommended price of 100 Euro more than the 720. My advice is get hold of a 720 while you can.
    One point raised here recently. Members on the review forum are already asking the RGB question. Has it or hasent it. Most likely not or surely Panasonic would have advertised the fact. TMULL
    Spec for 735 as follows: http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/Products/Home+Entertainment/Blu-ray+Recorders/DMR-BWT735/Specification/12549158/index.html?trackInfo=true

Under "terminal" note that there's one scart input (PAL/NTSC). So no RGB.

Tomasdeb, Not a problem. I have recorded a fair number of dvds that exceed two hours. In the Record Mode menu that shows itself when you select Copy you have a good few choices.For a file shorter than two hours I can sometimes make the dvd in High Speed mode.If the machine tells me that This file cannot be copied in high speed then I select SP mode. If the file is longer than two hours I select the FR mode. Both SP and FR are copied in real time rather than high speed. I have made films as long as three hours, And I copied four one hour documentries on to one dvd for my son in Mexico.As I said in previous posts this is an admazing machine. TMULL
    Tmull. I didn't put my question very clearly. I know that there are various quality modes available when copying to DVD - when operating normally. However, your workaround to deal with the sound problem (post #85) seems to involve recording on the fly and one file at a time.
    So, for example, say I want to make a DVD consisting of three 60 min programmes recorder via Saorview. With my old recorder, I would make a playlist and the machine would select the apprpriate mode to fit the 3 hours on the disk. My concern after reading your post on the workaround is that the disk would be full after the first programme.
    In short, is it possible to make a DVD consisting of more than one Saorview file?
    Does the above make sense?

Tomasdeb,Yes it makes perfect sense. On first reading your post this morning I knew what you meant but could not remember doing it. I now have very few files of the 120 or so that I have on the 720 that are Saorview. I do have a few films and a few music programmes either from Rte 1&2,Tv3 and Tng.I spent a few hours this afternoon trying to achive what you wanted but failed each time.Being used to putting a few programmes on to dvds for my son in Mexico in the FR mode only to realise that I made them all in my 750 Freesat recorder.I lined up four Saorview files on the 720 and picked FR as the mode and started recording only to find that as you can both see and hear the recordings as they are made in real time that file no.1 was recording but without sound.I cancelled it straight away and then tried both Sp& Ep but with the same result. So to my limited experience what you want cannot be done.
    On the list of files on the 720 I was surprised to find that I had one Rte 1 file recorded back in August and the same file recorded in Jan on a repeat broadcast. The file from Aug is recorded in SP mode and the Jan one is in DR. I dont know how that happened but if all the files would record in SP it should fix the problem. One other thing I discovered to day was that a program I recorded on timer ,The Fall on last Sunday evening is completely unwatchable.Massive pixlation and seems to have parts of some other files intertwined with it.Being repeated tonight so shall try again. TMULL

• Advertisement

Tomasdeb, Reviewing your questions on the last few posts I may have given you wrong information.The answer I gave you on recording a file longer than two hours is correct in that is how I do it on the 750.To record a longer file than than two hours on the 720 just record it as posted by me on the workaround.That is just start to play the file,then press the Option button and a new menu appears. Just press the option that says ;Copy Media Playing. That is assuming you have a blank dvd in the tray.the 720 somehow fits the whole file on the disk. Sorry for any confusion but as a pensioner and working with two different recorders and slight memory problems led me to a wrong answer.TMULL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

The magazine What Satellite & Digital TV has a full test review on the Panasonc DMR-BWT735 in the June issue, which is available at newsagents now. Worth a read.

cunnijo wrote: »
    The magazine What Satellite & Digital TV has a full test review on the Panasonc DMR-BWT735 in the June issue, which is available at newsagents now. Worth a read.
    Just checked out the June issue but couldn't find the review. Could you confirm the issue (and page if possible)? Thanks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

tomasdeb wrote: »
    Just checked out the June issue but couldn't find the review. Could you confirm the issue (and page if possible)? Thanks...

It's in the July issue which came out in early June, page 44.

The Cush wrote: »
    It's in the July issue which came out in early June, page 44.
    Thanks for that - got it.

Tomasdeb, there is a fairly good section and a lot of posts on the 735 in the AVforums recorder section of that site. The only one scart is a problem for a lot of the people and the fact that it is not RGB seems to be an issue.Well worth a look but I dought it is any better than the 720. TMULL

Tomasdeb, there is a fairly good section and a lot of posts on the 735 in the AVforums recorder section of that site. The only one scart is a problem for a lot of the people and the fact that it is not RGB seems to be an issue.Well worth a look but I dought it is any better than the 720. TMULL
    Thanks tmull. By the way, after reading through various posts, I decided to source the older BWT800 model because of its RGB input. It does appear as if RGB input is not going to feature on newer models and, further, that the scart input could also disappear soon.
    Initial reaction is that the editing features are disappointing compared with my old Sony RDR HXD-1095 which is about to die on me (and cannot record Saorview). No preview for A-B editing and poor choice of top menus for DVDs.
    I'm running a trial recording as I speak to see if the 800 has the Saorview sound problems that you have found with the 720. It will also be interesting to watch if this is an issue with the new 735.

@TMull or anyone else that might know!
    Any chance you know if the BWT 700 has the same sound problems with Saorview archiving as the BWT 720 has?

newleaf wrote: »
    @TMull or anyone else that might know!
    Any chance you know if the BWT 700 has the same sound problems with Saorview archiving as the BWT 720 has?
    I have being using the BWT800 for the last few weeks and the sound from Saorview is ok.
    One minor observation: I have observed that it can take a few seconds for the sound to kick in in DR mode so its best to edit after rather than before conversion. Editing features generally not as good as my old Sony.
    Not sure if that helps. I believe that the 700 and 800 are of similar vintage. The 720 is newer and the 735 is the latest.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. What I'd really need to know is - if you record from a Saorview channel on the BWT800 hard disk, and then archive the recording to DVD (not Bluray) is the sound still there?
    With the BWT 720 TMull found the sound was gone after archiving. So I didn't get the 720. After Trojan work (see many earlier posts) TMUll found a workaround but it didn't convince me to buy. If this isn't a problem with the 800, maybe the 700 will be OK too. Not sure what happens with 735, but it's only available in silver, and expensive!

How many scarts on 800 , if any?

Is the DR recording then later conversion to SP awkward?

Are you happy with BWT 800? Does it get Saorview OK? Does it put Saorview channels in the 800 range?

Any problems with ads in the EPG? Does the EPG include Saorview?

Sorry for the interrogation! All help welcome. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that. What I'd really need to know is - if you record from a Saorview channel on the BWT800 hard disk, and then archive the recording to DVD (not Bluray) is the sound still there?
    With the BWT 720 TMull found the sound was gone after archiving. So I didn't get the 720. After Trojan work (see many earlier posts) TMUll found a workaround but it didn't convince me to buy. If this isn't a problem with the 800, maybe the 700 will be OK too. Not sure what happens with 735, but it's only available in silver, and expensive!

How many scarts on 800 , if any?

Is the DR recording then later conversion to SP awkward?

Are you happy with BWT 800? Does it get Saorview OK? Does it put Saorview channels in the 800 range?

Any problems with ads in the EPG? Does the EPG include Saorview?

Sorry for the interrogation! All help welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Yes, I avoided the 720 for the same reason. I didn't risk the 735 either as there is no reason to believe the problem has been solved and its more expensive. I took a chance with the 800 as its an older model and has RGB input. Not readily available though and prices vary widely - this was very expensive when it came out first. I think the 700 is of similar vintage but lower spec (don't know the detail).

To answer your question, I have recorded from Saorview and then archived to DVD and the sound is ok. I have also done the same from a Sky box.

Two scarts. I think that AV1 is output only (not at home at the moment to check). AV2 is RGB enabled. HDMI output also.

DR conversion to SP is not a problem. You can set the machine to do the conversion when it is idle. It will either keep or delete the original after conversion (depending on your setting). If you need the conversion quickly, you can manually have it done now rather than wait for the machine to do it in its own time. One small issue: I found that the sound is often missing from the first few seconds of the DR recording and also on the converted file. So its best to do the editing after conversion - hence edit out the missing sound.

So far so good with the 800. Not overly impressed with its editing and authoring features however - my old Sony was better (more accurate editing and better choices for title screens). The Saorview channels are numbered from 801 upwards - not really a problem - at least they're in sequence - don't know what happens if you're in a border area where both Saorview and Freeview are available. have had some reception problems but not inclined to blame the 800 for those.

EPG is only ok. A big wasted area on the left. Doesn't react to scheduling changes (not that Sky reacts very well either!).

Health warning - the above relates to the 800 - I don't know how it differs from the 700.

Interesting though that the sound problems appear with the 720. Wonder what they did to cause it? Also wonder is there a regional factor - i.e. is it something to do with some of the Saorview transmitters?

Hope this helps...

As far as i know the only real difference between the 700 and 800 is the size of the hhd.The 800 has the bigger one but the cost difference was enourmous. I though I might get the official Panasonic agent here in Cork ( the only official repair on the island of Ireland) to replace the 250gb hhd in my 750 but on reading Gavtech's input on AV forums it really cannot be done. Apparently the software is set to the size of the original hhd and though a bigger one might work the machine will still think it has the original and limit the input to that size.To me the freesat 750 is a better machine than the 720.If I could swap the hhds around I would be very happy.One thing I did discover lately that on the 720 I can register a portable hhd to the machine and offload the files on to the portable very fast.As a file goes on to the portable it dissapears from the 720.I can transport it back quite easily and can make a dvd direct just by having it connect to the 720.I think Panasonic should reconsider dropping Freesat recorders from their range.Even if they stuck with one model of same I believe there is a strong market for such a machine.The 800 is so much sought after I saw a second hand one offered at above the original cost price. TMULL

Thanks folks that's really helpful. It's a pity Panasonic wouldn't make one for the Irish market. As Soarview stuff now has to have T-2 capability such a machine would capture all available terrestrial channels, put channels in sensible order for Ireland and have none of the 720's sound archiving issues. I won't hold my breath though.
    Now any recommendation as to where to get a 700 or 800 would be welcome. Have tried the usual but the only ones selling them for a good price on Ebay won't send to ROI.

Thanks folks that's really helpful. It's a pity Panasonic wouldn't make one for the Irish market. As Soarview stuff now has to have T-2 capability such a machine would capture all available terrestrial channels, put channels in sensible order for Ireland and have none of the 720's sound archiving issues. I won't hold my breath though.
    Now any recommendation as to where to get a 700 or 800 would be welcome. Have tried the usual but the only ones selling them for a good price on Ebay won't send to ROI.
    Keep an eye on eBay. The best prices are from video services in UK for reconditioned models but, as you say, they don't ship to ROI. I got one from electronic bargain world. Wasn't cheap though - worked out about the same as the 735.

I do a fair amount of business on e-bay.I find that a PM or email and a confirmation that you are a verified Paypal customer usually brings a change of mind about posting to Ireland.Really they cannot turn down potential customers as the market is so limited.Nine months ago I tried all avenues for another Freesat recorder for my next door neighbor but failed.Within about two weeks of Panasonic announcing that they were ceasing production they were sold out in most UK av centers.I predict that next years models will have no AV inputs.I also predict that as soon as the 720 and 735 are gone there will be members here regretting not moving in time.They are still good recorders.TMULL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bridster007

The new Panasonic DMR BWT 735 can be bought online and collected in Currys in NI for 339 Stg - works out about €408. I checked and the Newry store has it. They won't ship, must collect in store.
    Offer lasts until 24 July. Well worth the trip. Super price. I saw a 720 model on sale there last month for 278 Stg.

Finally got the BWT 700, happy so far. For pausing live TV nothing happens when I press 'Pause" until I press Rewind Live TV first, then I can pause. Hardly intuitive! Is this the experience of others?

Now here's another. My Viera TV is Irish model, channels RTE 1 at position 1 etc, BBC's etc after the Irish Saorview Channels. However the BWT 700 has as expected put BBC 1 at position 1,RTE 1 at 801 and so on. Do channels have to have same numbers on TV and recorder for Pause Live to work from the TV remote/Viera Tools? I could try but am afraid TV might take over recorder and download its channels and mess up recorder channels so I thought I'd ask here before trying.

Presume issues would be the same for other BWT machines.

I cannot comment on that but having the 750 and 720 now for over a year I am still discovering things.I knew that if I was copying with the 720,ie,making a dvd that I could not record or watch another program whilst copying.Recently while copying on the 750 I became aware that I could either record or watch another program. The point is that the 720 was released at least two years later than the 750. Basically proves that as Panasonic releases machines they increase the price but reduce the features. I would love any member who has a 735 to come on here and comment on same. TMULL

And another thing that might help someone else. I recorded something from Saorview on the BWT 700, in 'DR' mode, which seems the only option for the initial recording, converted it while on standby to 'SP', then archived it to DVD and the sound on the resultant DVD was fine. In other words it doesn't have the disappearing sound issue that has been widely reported for the BWT 720. I wonder how the 735 behaves.

Over the past six weeks or so I have had about six or seven failed recordings on the 720.Two were rather embarrising in that a friend had asked me different occasions to record matches for him.One on TG4 and the other on TV3.I had set both as timer recordings and about 20 minutes of one match was ok but the rest of the two hour recording was just unwatchable. Nothing appeared on the second recording although the recorder gave the impression that it was doing its job.My first impression was that it was maybe linked to the timer function.A few week went by and last monday I manually pressed record to copy a film from TV3 and was watching programmes on my 750.On finishing the film I checked and there was no film but a mix of broken images. I switched to TG4 and pressed record again but again no file on the HHD. I spoke to the manager of the Panasonic store but she was not familiar with the problem but wold talk to the Panasonic repair man here in Cork and get him to phone me. Fortunatly I know Ken and we duly talked. He explained that my HDD was too full and advised me to offload as much as I wanted on to a seperate HDD.This can be done at very high speed s o I did this and I cannot now repeat the problem. He also advised me to do a HHD reformat at least once a year and that once about every three months to completely shut down my recorders overnight. The store manager upgraded her 720 for the 735 and says she sees no diffrence in the two machines.She says the sound problems are not on the 735, TMULL

• Advertisement

And another thing that might help someone else. I recorded something from Saorview on the BWT 700, in 'DR' mode, which seems the only option for the initial recording, converted it while on standby to 'SP', then archived it to DVD and the sound on the resultant DVD was fine. In other words it doesn't have the disappearing sound issue that has been widely reported for the BWT 720. I wonder how the 735 behaves.

And I have the 800. This is also fine- no loss of sound.

Anyone having any problems with the Saorview rescab this week?

The EPG on my 800 has been showing "rescan required" instead of RTÉ1 and RTÉ+1 listings. The reception is fine - just the EPG not working properly. I did a rescan (as advised on Saorview website) but no change. I also have a Walker STB for Saorview - no problem with this - kust with the Panasonic.

Strange one - hope it rights itself....

I've been getting those messages on my Panasonic TV. Also have heard announcements on radio that a rescan is necessary.

Lads, nice to see ye on here again.Just a quick update on my last post. I followed Ken Foleys advice and offloaded all my files on to two portable hhds(Ken is the owner manager of AVTV repair center in Cork and the only official Panasonic repair agent in the country). I was really surprised at how much recording I had put on the 720 in the space of the year.Almost filled two 500mg hhds.I then formatted the hhd in the recorder as advised.Put about half the files back and kept the other half back and I have had no more problems recording. I have since got myself a 1000 gb portable hhd as a back-up. The downside of this is the machine is dedicated to the hhd which means it cannot be used elseware until you de-register it from the 720.As you start offloading from the recorder to the hhd the 720 warns you the this is only a temperory measure and not suitable for archiving important files. What it means is that if the 720 dies then the files on the hhds cannot be retrieved anywhere else. A bit sneaky on Panasonics part. On another issue I offered help to another member in a different post in this section of the forum,but no response back. Why do people go to the bother of posting here and then ignoring any offer? TMULL

Switched on my 720 this morning to check the recording of a late film on Rte1.I had set the timer about five minutes before the time as I find that Rte are unreliable on their timings and I have been caught out before.This time the film started about ten minutes in but the real problem is that there is no sound . Then found out that old recordings that I had watched had no sound either.All recordings through the Av ports are perfect and one or two Saorview recordings are perfect but the majority are silent.Spoke to the Panasonic store in Limerick but they can throw no light on the matter. Tried to contact the Panasonic repair man here in Cork but am awaiting a call back from him as I only spoke to his answering machine.This machine has caused me a lot of grief. This is almost as big a heap of crap as my Humax iCord that cost me 600Euro in 2009 and ended up in my recycling bin after just two years. I will let ye know how I get on. TMULL

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Woodie40

Switched on my 720 this morning to check the recording of a late film on Rte1.I had set the timer about five minutes before the time as I find that Rte are unreliable on their timings and I have been caught out before.This time the film started about ten minutes in but the real problem is that there is no sound . Then found out that old recordings that I had watched had no sound either.All recordings through the Av ports are perfect and one or two Saorview recordings are perfect but the majority are silent.Spoke to the Panasonic store in Limerick but they can throw no light on the matter. Tried to contact the Panasonic repair man here in Cork but am awaiting a call back from him as I only spoke to his answering machine.This machine has caused me a lot of grief. This is almost as big a heap of crap as my Humax iCord that cost me 600Euro in 2009 and ended up in my recycling bin after just two years. I will let ye know how I get on. TMULL

I had the same issue. Initialised the PVR. Basically restored to factory settings. Issue resolved

Thanks for that .How would I do that? Would I loose the files? Any input very mush appreciated. TMULL

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Woodie40

Thanks for that .How would I do that? Would I loose the files? Any input very mush appreciated. TMULL

Firstly check that AD is switched off. The AD button is on the remote control. Make sure it's off and then test.

Woodie 40, Your are a genius. I wouldn't have worked it out in years and was about to disconnect it from the system and go to the repair man in the morning.
    Just did what you told me and all my files have their sound back.How it happened may be of interest to you. A a 74 year old pensioner I need to bring up the subtitles on looking at modern films. The video of same can be pretty aw-sum but the audio in most is pretty crap and I need to read the dialogue as most actors now cant speak properly. As I have two recorders ,the 720 and 750 I frequently pick up the wrong remote control as they are almost identical. Where the AD button is placed on the 720 remote control is is in exactly the same place as the subtitle button on the 750 one. I attempted to bring up the subtitles but must have picked up the wrong remote control.Has anyone managed to retrive the subtitles on the 720 once a film is recorded on a Saorview channel? Thank you again Tmull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I attempted to bring up the subtitles but must have picked up the wrong remote control.Has anyone managed to retrive the subtitles on the 720 once a film is recorded on a Saorview channel? Thank you again Tmull

Do either of the PVRs display live subtitles for the Saorview channels?

I recently purchased the PWT635 and Saorview subtitles, live or recorded, aren't available for the Saorview channels because they are displayed using teletext font and in the Freeview spec traditional teletext isn't included so no subtitles unless the manufacturer includes it for other markets

• Advertisement

No,The 720 has a twin tuner and is designed for the UK market.I got a real run-around when I finally did get to contact a rep from Panasonic.I believe that they only managed to deal with me to try and limit my negative output both on this site and on AVforums about the serious sound problems which is still an issue on this model.I eventually got them to admit that it was designed for the Uk market and was not a Saorview model.I asked if not why did they release it here but got no satisfactory answer to this.They implied without saying it specifically that maybe the sound problem was a Saorview issue.The 750,though an older model has better features.It is a Freesat box but cannot obtain the Saorview package but is capable of recording the channel that is displayed on the tv which the later model 720 cannot do. Therefor if I put a Saorview channel on tv I could record it on the 750 Freesat box. A film recorded on the 750 has the subtitles encoded in the file and can be viewed ,if needed by just pushing the subtitle button on the remote.Even live broadcasts of the Saorview package on the 720 cannot display the subtitles. It can display the Text menu no bother. TMULL

For anyone interested , the 2014 version of this has been announced.

http://www.avforums.com/news/panasonic-dmr-bwt740-blu-ray-player-recorder-brings-4k-scaling.10166

The Cush wrote: »
    Do either of the PVRs display live subtitles for the Saorview channels?

I recently purchased the PWT635 and Saorview subtitles, live or recorded, aren't available for the Saorview channels because they are displayed using teletext font and in the Freeview spec traditional teletext isn't included so no subtitles unless the manufacturer includes it for other markets

Subtitles work for TG4 on the sister model DMR HW220. Checked just now on old recordings. So should be same for the other models.

Whats the betting on that updated recorder having any AV inputs> TMULL

Hi all

Panasonic have finally released the newest version of their blu ray/HDD recoder, the DMR-BWT740EB. It still has the same connections as the previous model (DMR-BWT735EB). Click on this link for specs of the new unit here.

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/home-entertainment/hdd/dmr-bwt740eb.specs.html

One scart input? I wonder will it transfer Saorview recordings to dvds with the sound intact.Any idea of price? TMULL

One scart input? I wonder will it transfer Saorview recordings to dvds with the sound intact.Any idea of price? TMULL

Currently selling at £499.58 (€651.10 approx.)on Amazon.co.uk, £549.99 (€683.90 approx.) in PC World UK and €669.00 through the Panasonic Store in Limerick.

There is also a sneak review of it on page 7 of the July 2014 edition of What Satellite & Digital TV magazine, which is in shops from today.

Thank you. TMULL

• Registered Users Posts: 9 burdenedgnome

I just purchased a panasonic dmr-pwt530eb on line and now worry I made a mistake. I can not see a satellite input on pictures of the back and even unsure if I can record home movies to hard drive from my old sony digital camcorder (the main reason I bought it). Is the a recorder that does the following.

1) play DVD's and Bluray.
    2) have saorview and satellite tuners (freesat) for recording programmes.
    3) Record from old camcorder (AV etc).

• Advertisement

I have the DMR-BWT800 (older version of the current BWT735).
    - This plays DVDs and BDs.
    - Records from Saorview - but not satellite. I believe that there is an equivalent satellite model but am not aware of a model that will record both Saorview and Saorsat.
    - Has AV input for recording from external sources via scart.
    - Also archives to DVD and BD.

I'm not familiar with the model you mention - maybe check the specs online?

Advertisement