Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP with info about Avondale House And Forest Park

Options
  • 18-01-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi Folks, am visiting Avondale Forest and Rathdrum shortly and have seen on net "Parnell Railway Walk" listed but can not find any information on it. I am told it starts at the train station and you can walk fro there down into Avondale, does anyone have any information on it, the route, how long it takes, the terrain,does it join the River walk, is it new,any information much appreciated as i can find nothing online.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I found this ... http://www.wicklowway.ie/village-guide/rathdrum-wicklow.html where it gives a phone number for Rathdrum tourist office to get a copy of a leaflet featuring this and other walks in the area.

There's also a really good map of Avondale forest itself on the Coillte website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

At the road junction into the station there is a signpost with a walker on it. I guess thats the start of the walk! Poor form that they didn't put some decent info or a map online for it. I drive past it most days so some day I'll stop off and explore.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pman1

At the road junction into the station there is a signpost with a walker on it. I guess thats the start of the walk! Poor form that they didn't put some decent info or a map online for it. I drive past it most days so some day I'll stop off and explore.

Thanks for that, Im sure we'll find our wat. It always amazes me how these things are overlooked.I mean on a number of websites they talk about this walk yet there is no real info about it, I mean it would not take much to stick in a few directions and a description and bingo, a few punters might turn up and even spend a few squids,Simples !, as the kids might say : )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I walked the jubilee loop walk last October - very nice it was too with a good mix of forest and river walking. From 1.5 to 2 hours.

http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/jubilee-loop/86142

I think the walker on the signpost probably refers to the jubilee loop walk - it runs through the village.

The loop walk runs through the Ballygannon woods and there is a path that heads north along the river towards Avondale, but i've never walked that far. At Avondale i've tried to find a path that heads towards Rathdrum but its all private property at that point.Perhaps the parnell railway walk is on the other side of the river from Avondale?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Hoover

This walk can be started from the RAILWAY BUISNESS park which is accessed from the entrance to the left of the train station entrance,This walk will take about 25 minutes to reach Avondale,If you nned anymore info just ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Theinsideman

I really tried to create a map of this trail on my site http://walkingroutes.ie/ but im not able to follow the official directions. Would anyone be willing to help me get this walk on my website?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hoover wrote: »
    This walk can be started from the RAILWAY BUISNESS park which is accessed from the entrance to the left of the train station entrance,This walk will take about 25 minutes to reach Avondale,If you nned anymore info just ask.

I did the Mill walk this morning (as part of a longer cycle I was doing on the mountain bike). Entering at the bridge over the Avonmore in Rathdrum there is a new section of trail with seating area over the river. Continuing on I pass through a site where work is being done by contractors on the railway viaduct. Continuing on the trail peters out a bit but you can continue along the edge of a field, step over a low fence and step over 2 gaps (definitely not one for buggies this!!). Would they not put stiles or small planks to bridge the gaps? Very odd. Anway, this brings you to the 'stick' pedestrian bridge over the river which brought me back up to the Railway station. There is no signage - which is pretty crap. It looks like there is a single track of sorts which continues beyond the stick bridge. Is this the path for the Parnell Railway walk? What is the point in developing a walk when you there is no signage and details of same are difficult to find:confused:

This is in sharp contrast to a new walk that our community has put in in Annacurra. It was opened a no. of weeks back and features a 2.5k looped trail with full signage. http://www.coillteoutdoors.ie/index.php?id=54&trail=304&trail_type=1&&no_cache=1

Advertisement