Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Recession......your solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

noodler wrote: »
    I don't really want to inject even more money into the banks to cover those losses, do you?

!

You got me, wiki has been down all day so I havent really got a clue about the situation, I tried throwing out some buzz words but I've been rumbled, I dont even have a mortgage.

What about peoples savings?

I dont care, they're not my savings and I dont have any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭kyote00

Leave the euro/EU and become the 51st state of the union. Milk the US for structural funds for the next 20 years....

Build interstate 0 from Galway to New York, thus hiring all those builders during construction and allowing US tourists to drive on 'vacation' to Ireland....

Job done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

Seanergy wrote: »
    I certainly havn't, are you from the future?

lol, er ah you mean the past no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

cut all benefits down to just food stamps, privatize everything, sell everything off, reduce the size of government to a bare minimum, dont give the banks any money, leave the euro and base a currency on gold. Close Irelands borders, kick out any non national without a job, abolish VRT, lower VAT to 20%, abolish the USC, remove the carbon tax on fuel, increase DIRT to 75%, lower the price of cigarettes and drink to 2005 levels. Let the offo's open 24/7. Remove the housing tax. Abolish the minimum wage. Abolish the RSA, the PSA and any other regulatory body preventing access into a profession. Tax religions, sell off all the assets in NAMA, kill the TV licence and sell RTE's production end. Convert any tax/duty on diesel to VAT to help businesses.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Announce a doubling of house prices. Hey presto it's 2006 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

And here, in my opinion, is the biggest problem of all.....the idea that if you are in anyway positive at the moment it is because you are middle or upper class and have no clue what the poor misfortunate working classes are going through.

I'm certainly not middle class ( not working class either mind). I just don't honestly see the point in being bitter and constantly whining about we all knew would be tough times.

My own main solution would to stop feeling sorry for ourselves, realise that compare a lot of contries in the world we are privilaged and start being proactive and looking to the future.

but would i be safe in saying you are able to keep the roof over your head , feed yourself and your children ( if you have some ) , working and have transport , also your house is probably heated - bills getting paid , but still tight , no holidays or new tv but still ok ?

i know of some family's who have not been able to pay for the house , or house hold bills , short on food, and for all reasonable descriptions are ****ed - did not go mad at all , most self employed so don't get anything off the state - for them it IS all doom and gloom

not matter what ivan yeats says , a lot of people are in trouble
    it might not be 3rd world status but if you have to got to the state for hand outs i can understand the feeling of doom and gloom

i for one consider myself to be lucky to be in massive negative equity but able to service it for the the time being
    i would not swap it for some people i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Print new money.

TROLOLOLOLOLOL

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

reduce the 'normal' working week to 30 hours - 3 day weekends for everybody Instantly more jobs around.
    or
    double the population - visas for anybody who wants one. (or possibly target china as there way over populated) we just cant afford to run a country with so few workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

dj jarvis wrote: »
    but would i be safe in saying you are able to keep the roof over your head , feed yourself and your children ( if you have some ) , working and have transport , also your house is probably heated - bills getting paid , but still tight , no holidays or new tv but still ok ?

i know of some family's who have not been able to pay for the house , or house hold bills , short on food, and for all reasonable descriptions are ****ed - did not go mad at all , most self employed so don't get anything off the state - for them it IS all doom and gloom

not matter what ivan yeats says , a lot of people are in trouble
    it might not be 3rd world status but if you have to got to the state for hand outs i can understand the feeling of doom and gloom

i for one consider myself to be lucky to be in massive negative equity but able to service it for the the time being
    i would not swap it for some people i know

I have a job but still live at home because I can't afford to move out. My parents are the reason I have roof over my head. I don't have transport because again I can't afford a car at the moment. I don't pay the bills but I support myself.

I have struggled too. I just think that being bitter and all doom-and-gloom about things won't help anything.

We are in tough time but the country is not about to fall apart just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

cut all benefits down to just food stamps, privatize everything, sell everything off, reduce the size of government to a bare minimum, dont give the banks any money, leave the euro and base a currency on gold. Close Irelands borders, kick out any non national without a job, abolish VRT, lower VAT to 20%, abolish the USC, remove the carbon tax on fuel, increase DIRT to 75%, lower the price of cigarettes and drink to 2005 levels. Let the offo's open 24/7. Remove the housing tax. Abolish the minimum wage. Abolish the RSA, the PSA and any other regulatory body preventing access into a profession. Tax religions, sell off all the assets in NAMA, kill the TV licence and sell RTE's production end. Convert any tax/duty on diesel to VAT to help businesses.

Fair play to ya, you've just typed the stupidest post ive ever read. I salute you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

I have a job but still live at home because I can't afford to move out. My parents are the reason I have roof over my head. I don't have transport because again I can't afford a car at the moment. I don't pay the bills but I support myself.

I have struggled too. I just think that being bitter and all doom-and-gloom about things won't help anything.

Let me move in with ye and ill stop moaning

look i agree with you , to much doom and gloom is a bad thing

i just happen to know some family's who are ****ed due to no fault of their own and are desperate .... they have good reason to feel the gloom

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

Is that you Richard BB?

look i agree with you , to much doom and gloom is a bad thing

i just happen to know some family's who are ****ed due to no fault of their own and are desperate .... they have good reason to feel the gloom

I don't doubt you at all.

I just think there is a tendancy in this country to look ONLY at the negative side of things or think there is ONLY a negative side to things and that is what I am saying needs to stop.

I don't doubt you at all.

I just think there is a tendancy in this country to look ONLY at the negative side of things or think there is ONLY a negative side to things and that is what I am saying needs to stop.

in fairness i think as you have said yourself your situation is not ideal but still safe and fairly comfortable

but if we don't focus on what is failing and wrong we wont try and fix it - if we don't help these people they will drag the rest of us down

focus on what is wrong and fix it , then we can all be happier as a nation
    until then i don't see how we can be more positive then negative until the source of this negativity is sorted first

its hard for me to be positive while i have to see friends in the depths of despair and can see no way out - don't get me wrong i don't have a grey cloud over me but it sure takes the shine off the day when i think of them

so what should i do ? stop thinking about them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

No more children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Certainly not.

I'm not council estate nor D4, that's all I meant.

You're middle-class, so.

Some of the 'doom and gloom' reporting is stuff that we'd be criticising if they didn't talk about it. This stuff is happening, and 'positive thinking' won't get us out of it. But focusing on aspects of negative-thinking might (like the weird ratings-agency system we're so fond of here in europe).

And if I was still working and living with my parents I'd be saving a huge amount of money. Even on close-to-minimum-wage (a fair while back) I could easily live away from the parents. You might have to live in ... working class areas though (the horror!).

in fairness i think as you have said yourself your situation is not ideal but still safe and fairly comfortable

but if we don't focus on what is failing and wrong we wont try and fix it - if we don't help these people they will drag the rest of us down

focus on what is wrong and fix it , then we can all be happier as a nation
    until then i don't see how we can be more positive then negative until the source of this negativity is sorted first

its hard for me to be positive while i have to see friends in the depths of despair and can see no way out - don't get me wrong i don't have a grey cloud over me but it sure takes the shine off the day when i think of them

so what should i do ? stop thinking about them ?

Yes that's exactly what I mean :rolleyes:

As I said I know there are those who are genuinely in need of help. And yes we need to do something to fix what's happening.

But that's not going to happen if everytime the government implements new ( and yes harsh) measures people moan and complain and protest.

Enda K never promised an easy ride, we need to stop acting as though he did and is now going back on his word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭pavb2

Tell Standard & Poors and all the other ratings agencies to STFU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

...anyone who grew up with Not the 9'O Clock News knows that the only solution is...

...off with the goolies...:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Put the frontline on unpaid leave. Sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

I just don't get what the government are playing at. The more tax i have to pay the less i spend in this economy. This is getting out of hand now someone needs to shout stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

Certainly not.

I'm not council estate nor D4, that's all I meant.
    What's wrong with council estates and D4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

More free market less government.

Nothing at all. I was trying to give an idea of where I fall in society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I'm sure they were not ragging on anyone I don't feel offended..
    Where I live there are some council housing and some private; therefore
    I am half scumbag and half real human being in equal measures.

[no seriously I get the feeling they didn't mean that comment that way it came off]

saa wrote: »
    I'm sure they were not ragging on anyone I don't feel offended..
    Where I live there are some council housing and some private; therefore
    I am half scumbag and half real human being in equal measures.

[no seriously I get the feeling they didn't mean that comment that way it came off]

Of course I didn't. I don't think it came off that way either tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Not to buy lil conor another console?! that plays the same games regardless despite not being officially cross-platform.. must be some headache the little jimmys suddenly wanting the big boys console instead on turning 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Wind pumped Hydro. Very safe bet for those willing to invest. Selling cheap 'leccy to the EU grid is money for old rope.

No chance the gubberment will take note. That'll just mean creating jobs and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Nothing will change until the political class are ousted and a new political system that suits the majority and not the minority is brought in, nothing will change until being accountable is considered normal, nothing will change when divide and conquer is in practice.

I am neither left, right or center in my political beliefs, those are my beliefs above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

billybudd wrote: »
    Nothing will change until the political class are ousted and a new political system that suits the majority and not the minority is brought in, nothing will change until being accountable is considered normal, nothing will change when divide and conquer is in practice.
    Er, how is that system different to a constitutional democracy?

To paraphrase and misquote J-Lo with wild abandon, Paddy's still Paddy from the block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

constitutional democracy?

And this is in place here?

Yes it is, you have choices FF, FG, La, SF, the status quo in other words where the political platform in not on a even playing field, but if your happy with the current state then i am happy for you. whats a paddy btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Tell shell and statoil we the people shall have half of the money from our oil and gas which the last government gave to them for free. Which is a load of me arse that oil and gas is as much mine as it is theirs. By doing this you could pay off the country's entire debt and still have 100 billion left over. Also burn the bondholders they don't deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

As I said I know there are those who are genuinely in need of help. And yes we need to do something to fix what's happening.

But that's not going to happen if everytime the government implements new ( and yes harsh) measures people moan and complain and protest.

Enda K never promised an easy ride, we need to stop acting as though he did and is now going back on his word.

Going back on his word ???
    The man lied through his teeth to get into power. I could never trust him again. AND as for that jackass Rabbitte with his crazy schemes and brazen attitude ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,641 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nothing at all. I was trying to give an idea of where I fall in society.

Hope you didn't bang your head .... too badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Fishing, the solution to our problems :cool:

Firstly, seize the Spanish trawlers. Fecking Spaniards, stealing our fish and seducing our wimmin with their dark latin looks. :mad:

The Spanish have large modern trawlers so we'll be needing them. If the Spanish were fishing legally we can get the drug squad to plant evidence and then seize them.

Next after decades of messing around we tell the UK and Denmark and Iceland that we own Rockall. It's nearest to Donegal and that's enough to claim it.

You get fishing rights with this, two hundred km radius off the top of my head.

We put Irish crews on these excellent Spanish trawlers and we fish to our hearts content out by Rockall.

The boats dock in Donegal, creating employment :)
    We then export our Donegal Catch all over Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

One of my solutions would be..

A nationwide drive to let the public know that every single SW card would be replaced with a new one with a photo. Part of this campain would be that everyone has to re apply for the cards. This would allow the government to update their database and would cut out quite a lot of fraud.

Also i would have a rule that you are not entiteled to Irish rates on SW if your grandparents were not born in Ireland. If this is the case then your SW rates paid to you are paid at the exact same levels as your home country. This would save a lot of money for us that could be pumped back into the health service and education for the good of the country :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

We od need to do something about the boats disgarding some of their catch. Perfectly good fish getting thrown back because they are the wrong species and can't be caught on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

mikemac1 wrote: »
    We then export our Donegal Catch all over Europe

Thus poisoning all of the Eurozone, eliminating all those we owe money to. I LIKE IT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

D1stant wrote: »
    eliminating all those we owe money to. I LIKE IT

On that note, seeing as Mossad owe us a favor after the passport incident I wonder if they can do some missions for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Promises you say?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Guill wrote: »
    Big **** you to the EU and Merkel. Then i would close all borders, we have enough in Ireland to survive.

Yeah that would work. Ireland has an abundance of fossil fuels and so we could continue to drive our cars, run our power stations, heat our homes/schools/hospitals, run our factories indefinitely. Yeah that would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I say we replace the government with people like Michael O'Leary, Fergal Quinn, Tony O'Reilly and Michael Smurfit to run the country like a business. The place would be sorted out in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Offer tax incentives to attract the porn industry to Ireland. Turn the country into a "Porn centre of excellence". Not alone the movies but we'd also have conventions, theme parks etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Hibernate until it's all over seems like the best solution to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Iceland had the right idea AGAIN. Introducing new internet hosting laws like. Looks like any decent internet server will migrate away from the United States of paranoia and set up shop there.

We should follow suit ASAP. Kick EMI out of the country and rightly support internet freedom. Will mean jobs. Will mean construction and tax revenue too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Guill wrote: »
    We eat the weakest then when numbers are low enough we will be okay. Simples.

we eat the fat first.... they'll feed us for weeks at a time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    I say we replace the government with people like Michael O'Leary, Fergal Quinn, Tony O'Reilly and Michael Smurfit to run the country like a business. The place would be sorted out in no time.

lol michael o leary would have extra charges for taking a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Everytime the government introduces an new tax or cut or rise in price or possibility of a bailout as a method of combatting the recession there is an outpouring of moaning and protesting against. But I have yet to see offer anyone a viable solution. And no taxing the super rich only or cutting only TDs salaries do not count.

So I ask my fellow Boardsies/AHers, what would you do if you were Taoiseach/TD? If the Government is not allowed to bring more cuts/taxes/price raises/bailouts then what can they do?

Lets have some genuine answers please, not the usual 'tax the rich, cut TDs salaries' cop outs.

So basically you want to hear solutions that you agree with, but not ones you don't.

It's a career in politics for you!

So basically you want to hear solutions that you agree with, but not ones you don't.

It's a career in politics for you!

No but nice try though :rolleyes:

I just wanted to hear something other than 'tax the rich' for once.

Obviously that needs to happen, but that alone won't work despite what people seem to think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement