Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Coffee

Options
  • 18-01-2012 9:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I was watching Jamie Oliver's American Road Trip and there was a recipe involving beef and coffee...I'd not heard of this before. Has anyone used coffee when cooking meat, if so, how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

There's a couple of recipes out there for a coffee rub for red meats, steak in particular... but as someone who loves food, coffee and cooking, I don't think I've ever found one that appeals to me - YMMV!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've tried a coffee spice rub on steak. It wasn't bad but I think I prefer the taste of steak.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Fajitas! wrote: »
    There's a couple of recipes out there for a coffee rub for red meats, steak in particular... but as someone who loves food, coffee and cooking, I don't think I've ever found one that appeals to me - YMMV!

I would have thought it was mostly used in deserts like coffee and walnut's etc is a lovely combination

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

I have also tried a coffee rub with steak - it was different, not unpleasant, but different, and I have never been tempted to make it again!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've tried a coffee rub on a steak. There was paprika and some other spices in there too, wouldn't have raved about it and haven't cooked it since and I'm partial to an odd coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I'll sometimes throw some coffee in chilli, or barbeque sauces, it gives a lovely treacly flavour. I'm not a lover of steak, so I tend to stick to drinking it :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cumin seeds, coriander seeds, a little chilli powder and good quality espresso in a spice grinder makes a savage rub for a ribeye steak.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I see recipes for coffee in seafood risotto - these are usually little dishes, a taster or starter portion.

Risotto with capers and espresso

When Heston Blumenthal did his Perfection series, there was one programme that looked at the humble risotto. Heston visited Carlos Cracco in Milan. Cracco was serving a Crema di Riso made using half risotto rice and half basmati rice. This was a white risotto that was cooked to emphasise the rice flavour - the basmati was great for that. Once cooked, the rice was blended to a cream and served with a few granules of instant coffee dotted through it and some sea urchin roe on top. Again this was a starter serving. While sea urchin roe may be impossible to get outside of the fine dining districts of Milan, I'd imagine a scallop or two would do just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

I've made the Jamie American Chilli recipe and really like it. Was nervous with the coffee first time round but I think its great, the end result has loads of strong flavours and the coffee just gives a smoky depth to it, you don't taste coffee as such.

If you make it I'd recommend getting dried chillies from somewhere like the devon chilli farm Jamie recommends, they have a website.

Advertisement