Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Board/Video Card

Options
  • 18-01-2012 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Really haven't been around these parts in ages, but who better to come for a few recommendations...

Want to build a new PC...sort of. Gone are the power mad days of huge 1200 cases, SLI and the like, but a more modest, within reality approach for me these days. :o

I currently have a generic, horribly laid out cube case, with a 9600B Quad, 4GB of ram and a GTS250. I don't need to upgrade them too badly, really, but just enough that I get play newer games a little better when I do indulge. Haven't been playing much lately, but want to get back into PC gaming, so want to get a few upgrades in there before I do.

Basic idea is a humble Antec 300 as a base, and I think the 9600B is actually okayish really, so I'll carry it over, but I want to replace the GTS250, and it has to be Nvidia for my 3D setup. I was looking at the 550Ti, I know it's not the fastest but it's enough on my GTS250 at the 100 euro price point to satisfy me, I think, and I see stock OC'd models for about 110 around. Just not sure I can justify the extra for the 560? I'll be playing at 1920x1200. Was also looking at replacing the board, and finally let go of my ancient DDR2 patriot ram....but I'm not pushed on features, just as long as it's reliable, so the cheaper the better within reason - there's a few around for about 60-80 euro, all of which look pretty good but if anyone's got some specific recommendations I'm all ears. Actually, I definitely want to replace the board above all else, because I'm not putting such an old board into a new case!

Money isn't really a problem, but I'm trying to be realistic about it, as the gaming use will be limited compared to what it once was, and a lot of it will be slightly older games for the most part. Thanks guys! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If you want new mobo, then the best thing to do is to go for new setup mobo+ram+CPU. No point in upgrading mobo when it will have to be old tech to match your CPU etc.

For gaming 4gb of ram is more then enough. Games are coded for 32bit system so max ram used out by game will be 2.5gb. There won't be much difference between DDR 2 and DDR 3. Nothing that would be extremely noticeable
    If you want to get some more poke on a budget then best thing you could do:

Get new psu ( if old one is not great )
    Good gpu
    Ssd

So instead of getting new mobo and ram, just get 560 ti and/or ssd.

That CPU is still very good for gaming. Do things above untill you decide to go for new new mobo CPU ram bundle.

Advertisement