Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY Student - Subject Choice

• 18-01-2012 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm in Transition Year at the moment and I'm looking for some advice on potential subjects for the Leaving Cert.

I have a genuine interested in the Business line of life and also Maths.

I have seen 2 courses that I am interested in, in the future; Actuarial Science (First Priority for now) and Finance & Economics.

I like Business, Economics and Accounting (but I am almost certain that my school won't give the possibility of doing all 3, and besides I don't want to remove any chances of a Science course completely, yet.)

But for Actuary, what subjects would be more useful to take, or does it really not matter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭bscm

Keep up HL Maths, and take at least one Science. If you're interested in a Science course, then you need HL Maths and one HL Science, or 2 HL Sciences and OL Maths. This applies for most Science courses in the main colleges.

Can't speak for Actuary, but I'd assume Accounting and Economics would be the better two for that choice. Business is theory based with a few formulae.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cianserian

accounting is of no benefit whatsoever for actuary haha
    higher level maths is a MUST! you will need at least a HLB3 to get into decent actuary courses. economics would also be benefical as it is actually a module on most actuary courses and is part of the professional actuary exams. if applied maths is available in your school it would also be a useful subject to develop your mathematical and problem solving thinking :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'm in Actuarial Science in UCD, and while you don't *need* a business subject, there is a whole actuarial professional exam based on Micro and Macro-economics, but Accounting is also 1/3 of a professional exam (the other 2/3 being Finance, valuing shares, stocks, bonds, derivatives, etc.)

HL Maths is definitely the most important one. I think the requirement is a HLB3, but realistically most people who do the course have gotten A's. Applied Maths is nothing like the maths that we do but I still found it useful for developing problem-solving techniques - I did it outside school!

Advertisement