Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woolshed Baa & Grill first time experience

Options
  • 18-01-2012 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Went there this evening for some food (beer for the lads) while they watched the Real Madrid and Barcelona match.

Two of the lads ordered drinks, myself and another ordered food (burger for me and steak for him). The food arrived after about 20 minutes and all I can say is my face dropped when I saw it, the steak was literally like a cheap minute steak you'd buy in Tesco and it came with one baked potato, some garlic butter in a dish and that was it...€18!

The burger (1/3 of a pound supposedly) was never 1/3 of a pound, even before it was cooked!, I asked for no cheese, it had cheese on it. The baked potato was big but dry and overcooked, no butter or anything with it, just ketchup and mayo on the table. I don't really eat butter but ketchup on a baked potato isn't that nice :/

The lads drinks seemed fine, €4.70 for a bottle of Boags and nearly the same for a Heineken.

All in all the food was extremely disappointing, I'd never eat there again, with the usual (high) price of drinks that Cork has (not relative to anywhere else) I would say I could safely never set foot in there again and not worry about it.

I'm sure there are plenty of good impressions but for me it was a serious letdown.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

To be fair, eating in a place like that is just like saying the coffee is crap in McDonalds. They have the basics, ie the drinks, right and thats ok for me. Its a decent spot. I wouldnt make it a regular, but is grand for a match.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

gimmick wrote: »
    To be fair, eating in a place like that is just like saying the coffee is crap in McDonalds. They have the basics, ie the drinks, right and thats ok for me. Its a decent spot. I wouldnt make it a regular, but is grand for a match.

In that case they should be charging Mac D prices, which they aren't. You should get what you pay for regardless.

.... McD's lattes aren't too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

In that case they should be charging Mac D prices, which they aren't. You should get what you pay for regardless.

Not necessarily. AS far as I know you can't get a pint with your meal in McDs!!

I agree the food is poor. And it's probably slightly overpriced although still cheaper than SoHo or the likes?

It's a place where I'd watch a match and have a pitcher and maybe a bowl of wings. Nothing more.

Would like to see it do well. That part of town is a bit left behind at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

To be fair, eating in a place like that is just like saying the coffee is crap in McDonalds.

I like McDonalds coffee - its reasonably priced and restaurants are always clean. They are now the biggest seller of coffee in the UK so guess it cannot be too bad!

Also they have a good environmental / ethical policy:
    You can enjoy your McDonald’s coffee safe in the knowledge that it has had the Rainforest Alliance seal of approval since 2007. The Rainforest Alliance encourages farmers to use sustainable farm management to get better economic returns. There are long-term benefits for both the coffee farmers and the environment in coffee growing regions.

Anyway.... back on topic - I would have complained about the quality of the food if the quality was poor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

The coffee is good in McDonalds, ironically.

I see what your saying but the fact is the place is advertised as a bar and grill. I know that's just a name but it's not just a bar that has a small menu for food, they have an extensive menu for food, longer than their beer menu for sure and the quality of the food was very, very poor.

The food in SoHo is excellent, not a 5 star restaurant by any means but their burgers and steaks are top notch. For an extra 50c I should have gone to SoHo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

I think you are been a tad unfair, the place is pretty new so will always have issues(especially with food) but they wont know to change it if no-one is complaining!

BTW,soho has the best steak for its buck in the city in my opinion just awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I think you are been a tad unfair, the place is pretty new so will always have issues(especially with food) but they wont know to change it if no-one is complaining!

If they are charging full price for the food then the poster is fully entitled to complain whether they are open one day or one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

I think you are justified in your complaint, we are in the middle of the worst recession in decades, why are we to deal with poor customer service, food quality and then on top of all that, ridiculous prices and just grin and bear it because it's a new establishment?
    If they are not capable of a good start it looks fairly dismal for the future imo.
    You should definitely have made a complaint to a staff member, failing that send them an email, i'd prefer to hear this type of feedback so I could work on it if it was my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

When did Cork get a Woolshed? If it's anything like the one in Dublin, the staff will be tossers, but I'd still go there for the blue cheese dip you get with the spicy wings alone!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Opened start of December. Staff seem ok, and I definitely endorse their female hiring policy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

It's already an established business in Dublin so they have their procedures of food prep and all that stuff already hammered out (I'd imagine).

The staff were fine, the setting was fine, the food was ridiculously overpriced. If the burger was 7.95 instead of 11.50 I'd probably think nothing of it. But 11.50 for something that was (literally) 50% of the size of the portions (and 50% of the quality) in SoHo was just not sitting right with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Cool_CM wrote: »
    When did Cork get a Woolshed? If it's anything like the one in Dublin, the staff will be tossers, but I'd still go there for the blue cheese dip you get with the spicy wings alone!

I'm a big fan of the one in Dublin, never had a problem with the staff! There is one barman who is particularly narcy, sarcastic, and seems to hate his job but the rest of them are great!

I think the food there is good for what it is, which is pub grub. I've never gone for a steak and I never would, if I want steak I'll go to a proper restaurant. Always found their pizzas, burgers, sambos and the little combo baskets delightful when there for a match.

My major gripe with them is their policy of any old dirt cheap cola/lemonade crap put into a Coke/7up bottle and selling it as the real thing for ridiculous prices.

Advertisement