Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble remembering maths

• 18-01-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Anyone else have this problem? Seems to be the only subject where memory of methods and how to go about answering questions simply vanishes out of my mind after a few weeks.

For example, was going through an exam paper today and couldnt answer a question on De Moivres theorem, even though we only did it a month ago and i got 93% in a test on it!

Basically looking for any tips on remembering maths?

Btw, doing higher level :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Think about *why* you are doing each step, as opposed to just remembering what to do, it'll make it easier to remember! This is especially true when it comes to theorems, you don't want to be rote learning theorems, you'll make life very difficult. If you can understand why you are doing things, it'll come a lot easier.

Also practice as many questions as possible. The great thing about LC Maths textbooks is that you are introduced to an idea, and you can have up to 30 questions following it, all of increasing difficulty. Doing all of these (or as many as you have time for) will drill the method into you.

The whole forgetting thing after a month is common enough, definitely with me, even in university - you have to keep doing these things regularly to keep them in your brain - each time you revisit De Moivre's theorem, for example, the longer you'll retain it until when you have to look at it again! In fact, when you've studied something before but 'forget' it, you'll often find it'll come back very quick once you look at the study material (e.g. doing one of the worked examples in your textbook).

And not really relevant to your question, and you probably know, but with HL Maths, a must is doing exam papers - not just the last 3 years, keep doing as many as possible until you are blue in the face (I'm not sure if you are doing Project Maths or the old course, if it's the old course, you have plenty of material to look at along with marking schemes online).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 kellybus

Used to have this problem, you just need to do questions and a hell of a lot of them... You should nearly have the course covered now and the more revision you do it will all start coming together and you will remember more.

Advertisement