Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scammers trying to rip me off - selling a moped.

Options
  • 18-01-2012 11:24pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Basically I've listed my moped twice on different free ad sites for different prices and both times the only reply was from a scammer trying to do a paypal purchase and suspiciously would 'send someone over' to pick up the moped. Both times as soon as I mention cash only I never hear from them again.
    This happen to anyone else? Pain in the arse so it is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Never happened selling, but heard of it all right. I replied to a few ads that were scammers. Someone was selling a custom harley for about 7k. It was worth about 25!
    He was sending me scans of his passport to prove it was real!

I'd put in the ad "call only". Most of the scammers use email. If you're serious about it, you'll call.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's part of the fun when selling stuff.

That's why you should use a disposable email and phone number or else you'll be getting spammed for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

Call only and make the advert fairly detailed so you aren't inundated with stupid questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its a nuisance alright, I usually prevent it by only supplying a mobile number and leaving email out of the process. The main thing is to be aware and not to get sucked into any discussions with them.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ya i got that alot when buying selling my car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

tried to sell my car few weeks back kept gettin emails of a doctor linda in london, basically wanted me to put the car on the boat and some1 will av alook at in hollyhead then bring the car back on the boat to me with the price of the ticket (that i was to pay 4) and if they wanted it they would buy it on their return, how forking stupid do they think i am, bet some other fool did it though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

tried to sell my car few weeks back kept gettin emails of a doctor linda in london, basically wanted me to put the car on the boat and some1 will av alook at in hollyhead then bring the car back on the boat to me with the price of the ticket (that i was to pay 4) and if they wanted it they would buy it on their return, how forking stupid do they think i am, bet some other fool did it though

And why wouldn't they with the 60 million they have in the bank from the Nigerian lottery win :pac:

Advertisement