Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Wardens Greystones

Options
  • 18-01-2012 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

I saw one of these regulars on our main st. booking a family vehicle the other day , minutes after their ticket expired. He was waiting for it to expire. He had the ticket written, photo taken and was off in about 90 seconds.
    The family returned five minutes later. Looked like they might have been out of work as it was midday, midweek. Nice surprise for them.
    Surely the spirit of the ''service'' these people supposedly provide is to stop all day DART commuter parking, not to catch poor people out. Particularly as the main street needs customers to survive.
    Perhaps he should perform the other part of his job more effeciently(or even at all) and stop the ongoing problem of dog xxxx on the cliff path and paths in Greystones in general. If you feel the same, tell him so when you see him ''working''

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I understand what you are saying but if I buy a ticket I make sure I have enough time on it to do what I have to do, I then make sure I am back before the time runs out.

The worst thing I find on the main street, being a van driver, is cars parked in the loading bays which are meant to be commercial only. I wish the traffic wardens would put a stop to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭tennisplayer

Traffic wardens in Greystones give a 10 minute leeway before they book you for parking. If you park in a pay parking bay you have 10 minutes to buy your ticket before the warden books you. Also when your time is up on your ticket the warden will not book you until you have overstayed by more than 10 minutes, this is normal practice in the Greystones area. I am amazed at how many motorists are caught not paying for their parking space in Greystones, at this stage everyone must see the signs and know that one must pay to park.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

Both bookies on Church Road seem to get a lot of 'deliveries' from the commercial vehicles using the loading bays nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'm sure the commercial parking bays are well abused by the commercial vehicles in respect of not actually doing any unloading (they should be called unloading bays!) and parking up for lunch/coffee and what not. It would be a different storey if the commercial vehicles were required to hold a permit to use such bays but it would be unpracticable and a deterent for actual suppliers to come into Greystones.

As for the OP's post, I have suffered the consequences with a ticket on the car in Greystones - I only have myself to blame. Lesson learned - Nuff said.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

markest wrote: »
    Both bookies on Church Road seem to get a lot of 'deliveries' from the commercial vehicles using the loading bays nearby.

Never noticed that myself but personally if there was no loading bay there then it would harm those local business as the commercial vehicles would unlikely be easy enough or small enough to park in a standard space. there are plenty of parking opportunities for unlazy car drivers. Right or wrong what you class as unloading, non commercially taxed vehicles are not allowed to park in a loading bay.

More on topic. It is sometimes very amusing to hear the excuses that people give the wardens and amazing the people who think their parking should be exempt from buying a ticket. I heard one lady say as she ran to abuse the warden "all the spaces in the free carpark were taken so I shouldn't have to pay"

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    I'm sure the commercial parking bays are well abused by the commercial vehicles in respect of not actually doing any unloading (they should be called unloading bays!) and parking up for lunch/coffee and what not. It would be a different storey if the commercial vehicles were required to hold a permit to use such bays but it would be unpracticable and a deterent for actual suppliers to come into Greystones.

As for the OP's post, I have suffered the consequences with a ticket on the car in Greystones - I only have myself to blame. Lesson learned - Nuff said.

I understand what you are saying but what harm does it do if all the large vand and trucks use the loading bays to nip to costa, the chippa or the bank. As I said above it is not easy to park in a standard space where it is for a car.

I have to go to the bank a couple of times a week while working. If there isn't a space large enough or easy enough to reverse a large van in to without the loading bay I wouldn't be able to run my business. Some of the money I get from the bank is then spent in the local shops, newspaper, coffee, chips etc. non of those shops would have my business if I am unable to find a commercial parking space. I cannot get in any of the car parks which I would be happy to do as all of them have hight restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I understand your post Jimjay. The problem is this, there appears to be exceptional numbers of commercial vehicles in Greystones - a good sign of the times I suppose. Nipping to get a coffee is not the real issue, it's the longer stay vehicles which are there for hours.

What is the maximum stay for commerical vehicles in loading bays? If it is any more than 30 mins, that's too long. What sort of deliveries (or nipping to get a coffee) is going to take longer than that? If a shop is getting fitted out, different story and perhaps a permit (or dispensation) system from the Council could be used in such events.

Additonally, I have seen many commercial vehicles just park up outside Three Q's, not in the loading bay but on the double yellows. Sticking on hazard lights doesn't mean its ok to double-park and block the flow of traffic!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Selandia

More on topic. It is sometimes very amusing to hear the excuses that people give the wardens and amazing the people who think their parking should be exempt from buying a ticket. I heard one lady say as she ran to abuse the warden "all the spaces in the free carpark were taken so I shouldn't have to pay"[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about hilarious excuses - some people really think that parking laws are for everyone but themselves! I was waiting for the Aircoach one day outside AIB. The bus was just arriving and about to pull into the designated bus space when along the INSIDE of the bus came a car driven by an irate lady. She pulled up inside the bus, jumped out abandoning her car, and ran up the street to berate the warden outside the Burnaby about a ticket she'd received ten mins previously elsewhere, while the bus driver and the boarding passengers looked on in exasperation. The driver couldn't open the luggage compartment because of her car, and people struggled onto the bus with babies, buggies, cases, etc.. The car driver refused to listen to all shouted requests to come back and move her car. I'm guessing she deserved her ticket in the first place.......

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

I am very happy with the parking system down in Greystones. I have received about 5 tickets in the last 5 years. Each of the times I was in breach of the regulation. Generally due to my own tardiness. The big deal for me is that in three of those situations my car would have been clamped and in two it could have been towed. Now that would have been very disagreeable. instead I shouted a requisite @F*C*'' went home and paid the ticket (40 euro) on line. Completely painless. Now before people jump up and down on me about 40 euros and how some people don't have it. Let me only say I view this as an avoidable motoring cost. 5 tickets cost me 200 euros over 5 years. 200 euros is 3 weeks worth of petrol and the clampers would have done me for over 500 notes.
    So let me be clear, I think the system in greystones is the least of the possible evils available and the fines are avoidable......and I also think the wardens could be doing more about the control of animals on the beaches which I believe is now within their remit. Another can of worms....!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

I haven't ever received a ticket from these people but I have observed them at work . I won't bore people with a litany of events, here are just two that are not untypical.

One evening at the playground near the council office, close to free parking time, or knock off time for the wardens, I saw two wardens wandering down towards the office. The car park was half full. One of the wardens stopped and looked in the window of a car and waved the other fella on. He checked his watch and lit up a smoke while he waited for the ticket to expire before issuing one of his own.

I read a letter from a lady in a broad sheet paper that having brought her diasabled mother to the doctors in Greystones she returned to the disabled parking spot to discover she had been issued with a ticket. Her disabled parking permit was out of date by 1 day.

Issuing tickets to people who find themselves short of change or who's business took slightly longer than expected is anti social behaviour.One of the wardens gives 10 minutes grace the rest of them don't.

If this was about providing a service these people would not be rambling around Greystones issuing tickets to cars parked on remote roads that are mostly desserted. They would be concentrated in congested areas managing the traffic..

Also the presence of parking metres by the sea front is an eyesore and must be off putting for visitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Dmckeown

It is not mandatory to give 15mins grace to get a ticket, and also following expiry?

Surely Greystones cant define their own guidelines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Perhaps he should perform the other part of his job more effeciently(or even at all) and stop the ongoing problem of dog xxxx on the cliff path and paths in Greystones in general. If you feel the same, tell him so when you see him ''working''

I'm lost here .. are traffic wardens suppose to clean up dog sh1te ?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    I'm lost here .. are traffic wardens suppose to clean up dog sh1te ?

Yes. They are now in a position to enforce the law on this . Anyway the point see0s to have been lost on most here. my point was simply that people overstaying their time because they have a baby in tow are not the problem where traffic is concerned in our town.

''One evening at the playground near the council office, close to free parking time, or knock off time for the wardens, I saw two wardens wandering down towards the office. The car park was half full. One of the wardens stopped and looked in the window of a car and waved the other fella on. He checked his watch and lit up a smoke while he waited for the ticket to expire before issuing one of his own.

I read a letter from a lady in a broad sheet paper that having brought her diasabled mother to the doctors in Greystones she returned to the disabled parking spot to discover she had been issued with a ticket. Her disabled parking permit was out of date by 1 day.'' I rest my case.
    Lowlifes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I was in the town yesterday, parked outside the Butlers Pantry and when I went to pay for a parking ticket the machine was out of order. A parking warden and a maintenance guy were nearby and said the battery in the machine needed replacing. I said I was going to the bank and the warden said "thats ok I won't put a ticket on your car" I was about 5 minutes in the bank , came back to the car and no ticket. In the time I was in the bank they had replaced the battery in the ticket machine.
    I certainly would not call any person who does their job a "lowlife", what an insult to another human being.

Dmckeown wrote: »
    It is not mandatory to give 15mins grace to get a ticket, and also following expiry?

Surely Greystones cant define their own guidelines?

Of course Greystones can legally define it's own guidelines or lack of them but lets not pretend these guys are civic minded or are there to provide a service to the public.

They exist to create revenue and the manner in which they do so is obviously not of any great importance to them or their employers.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I certainly would not call any person who does their job a "lowlife", what an insult to another human being.

Depends on the job and how it's carried out. Your experience should be the norm not an exception.

Huntthe wrote: »
    Depends on the job and how it's carried out. Your experience should be the norm not an exception.
    Agreed. Some of us can balance political correctness with commonsense. And subsequently identify bad behaviour for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

Easy solution - when you park in a "pay-parking" zone, make sure you have a valid ticket or permit for the time you are parked. No issues.

Tiradon wrote: »
    Easy solution - when you park in a "pay-parking" zone, make sure you have a valid ticket or permit for the time you are parked. No issues.

Thanks for that .:rolleyes: however most peole live in a World where not everything is perfect and a little common sense (from all concerned) can help grease the wheels of daily life.

• Advertisement

Yes. They are now in a position to enforce the law on this . Anyway the point see0s to have been lost on most here. my point was simply that people overstaying their time because they have a baby in tow are not the problem where traffic is concerned in our town.

Look, end of the day, ticket expired.... you get a fine...no one to blame...end of story !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Tiradon

Huntthe wrote: »
    a little common sense (from all concerned) can help grease the wheels of daily life.

Fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

pixbyjohn wrote: »

I agree. Anyway, cuddlycavies, what's your game? By the sound of some of your posts you go around town stalking traffic wardens and peeping in car windows at parking tickets. :D
    I saw one of these regulars on our main st. booking a family vehicle the other day , minutes after their ticket expired. He was waiting for it to expire. He had the ticket written, photo taken and was off in about 90 seconds.
    The family returned five minutes later.'

Sorry but he point should be.. If you have a child in tow that slows you down, set back to your car earlier or buy more time. Someone with a child should be able to keep track of time as well as anyone else.
    As somene else said, if you don't want a fine you know what to do, don't presume that you will have any grace.

Jimjay wrote: »
    Sorry but he point should be.. If you have a child in tow that slows you down, set back to your car earlier or buy more time. Someone with a child should be able to keep track of time as well as anyone else.
    As somene else said, if you don't want a fine you know what to do, don't presume that you will have any grace.
    Ever been to a Doctors Surgery with a baby. Appointments never run on time. Parents get distracted.
    Nanny State nonse is eroding a common decency which we once had.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

Ever been to a Doctors Surgery with a baby. Appointments never run on time. Parents get distracted.

Its for this very reason that I park in the Meridian centre. No worries about rushing back to check the meter.

exactly how much leeway do you think people should get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The real problem is the number of vehicles now using the town.
    In the auld days there was only 3 or 4 horse drawn carriages outside the railway station. We just cannot go back to that decent time now, what with all the houses built in the area over the years. We are all responsible for whats happening in our town to some extent.
    Even the doctors are being inconsiderate in not dealing with patients in strict 10 minute intervals :D.

The biggest responsibility we all have to the town is that the towns businesses survive. Nobody wants the town clogged with all day parkers and we need control. However there is something decidedly wrong with these characters hanging around a vehicle waiting for someone to make a mistake.

• Advertisement

The biggest responsibility we all have to the town is that the towns businesses survive. Nobody wants the town clogged with all day parkers and we need control. However there is something decidedly wrong with these characters hanging around a vehicle waiting for someone to make a mistake.

They are doing their job cuddlycavies.....same as all of us (well, hopefully)
    I don't think anyone is going to go out of business because of ticket wardens in all fairness !

Advertisement