Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking or Hill Walking Groups: amy advice?

Options
  • 18-01-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Good evening!

I hope you are all well. I am back from a fab trip abroad and finding life at home a bit dull and lonely to be honest: well compared to live overseas!
    I am in my mid-30's, fit and love the outdoors.
    I have done lots of hiking around the world, and funnily enough only a bit in Ireland.

I would like to try some fairly energetic hiking and maybe even learn a bit of climbing and or outdoor survival skills.
    As many of my mates are now married with kids, I would also love to meet some new people in the process!

I am based in the Northside of Dublin, and have a car to travel!

Could you recommend any clubs, groups or people I could join?

I have my own transport and am free most nights midweek and most weekends!

Thanks a lot for reading!

Arequipa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Any advice please?

Arequipa.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Mountaineering Ireland's website has a list of clubs
    Arequipa wrote: »
    Any advice please?

Arequipa.

Thank you Sir!

Could you recommend a club with a younger membership (social scene)and who have quite energetic hikes that test fitness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

the old search function is sweet

http://www.facebook.com/challengehikers

Are 'The Challenge Hikers' a good group?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lar203

i would be interested in this allso , i love hill walking time is my only problem

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭valerie

Never been out with Challenge myself but have a friend that does, likes it. Don't think they do a huge amount of climbing though. Maybe look into the IMC for that? Quite a mixed membership group as far as I know.
    Also consider heading to the Mountaineering Ireland summer meet - good way to meet new people to hike and climb with.

Hey thank u for reply!

So would:

An Oige
    Wayfarers
    Challenge
    Ramblers

Be the big clubs?
    Which would be the club with younger membership & maybe quite energetic hikes?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

If you are looking for young people challenge hikers are good not sure if they do it officially but there are a groups of peopel within it that go climbing.
    They would have varying levels of hikes, dependd what your definition of energetic is really. For some any walk up a hill would be energetic. They are decent enough sized hikes though. A lot of other groups would mainly have older members but sure no harm in trying a few out to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Arequipa wrote: »
    Which would be the club with younger membership & maybe quite energetic hikes?!
    Wayfarers have 3 hikes, and their longer hike is usually about 20k at about 4.5k an hour, obviously depending on terrain. Ramblers have a couple of hikes (5?), and their 1s would be fast and long. Don't know about the other two (Glenwalk & An Oige would be the other big Dublin clubs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

valerie wrote: »
    Never been out with Challenge myself but have a friend that does, likes it. Don't think they do a huge amount of climbing though. Maybe look into the IMC for that? Quite a mixed membership group as far as I know.

I've been out with them a number of times and they are great, a really nice bunch the only reason I don't go regularly is that I often work weekends. There are a range of different level hikes from more of a stroll to a decent day on the hills & some very good leaders. They aren't a club as such, so you don't pay membership fee's but also aren't covered by insurance.
    There are a few of us in it who do climb also, although it's not posted with the usual events.

I'd recommend them no hassle.

Thanks for the info: i appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭irishtear

check out "Meetups "and add you like walking and hiking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

irishtear wrote: »
    check out "Meetups "and add you like walking and hiking.
    The last time I checked meet up a lot of the walks were commercially run, ie you have to pay to go (and they were expensive fir what you got) and from what I heard they weren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭dejopadu

Arequipa - please let us know how u get on. i would also be interested in joining a group, im 31, used to do walks every weekend before my mates emigrated, so dont do much now. thanks

I will do!
    I just joined a cycling club... So next step will be hiking club!

Arequipa!

Advertisement