Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Jobseeker's allowance .

Options
  • 19-01-2012 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi ,

I have a simple question about the jobseeker's allowance.
    Forgive me if im posting in the wrong section as this is my first post on the forum , and im slightly lost .

Okay so let me explain my question . I have been working for the past 7 years and have never been on any sort of unemployment benefit before . For the past three and a half years i have been self employed and i have been supplying a service for company in my area. Apparently if you are self employed you are not entitled to the job seekers allowance , if so what kind of benefits am i entitled to ?
    I have also been working for almost four years before i opened up my private business , does that not entitle me to any sort of job seekers allowance?
    Is there any other allowance that i would be entitled to?
    My husband is currently earning around 1400 euro per month as he only works 3 days per week, but other than that we also pay rent which costs us 1200 euro every month , as you might know yourself this is not a lot , specially if you have kinds going to secondary school ...

So , if you could help me in any way please drop a line or two . I would really appreciate it .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

as you were self employed you won't get jobseekers benefit, but you'll have to do a means test to see if you get jobseekers allowance.

You'll have to do a means test, so your husband's income and your savings. and 6 months bank statements

if you've less than 20,000 ( i think) in the bank and your husband is getting less than 400 pw you should get something.

there is some rent/ mortgage relief available,

ye should contact revenue to get all tax credits transferred to your husband

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mrs vimes

If you have children and your husband is working more than 19 hours a week then you should be entitled to Family Income Supplement which is generally worth more than JSA or JSB would be.

Contact your SW office for details or check out welfare.ie

There is apparently a very long waiting time but the Community Welfare Officer can help in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭mrs vimes

Mods - could this be moved to Social Welfare forum to help out OP?

Advertisement