Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pianos in UL?

Options
  • 19-01-2012 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you could help me find the best place to practice piano in UL, I played throughout secondary school and I want to get back into it now

I've been told there were pianos in the basement of the foundation building, are they still there or were they all moved over to the new music building when the trad courses moved? All I've seen there are empty practice rooms. I also heard that there were some in C block, but I've never spotted them either. I don't suppose I could practice in the Jean Monnet, could I? :D

If I'm to use the music building do you know when's the best time to go so that I don't get kicked out to make room for actual music students? I don't know the building opening hours but I was hoping to practice early enough in the morning, say between 8 and 10 every other day. Is it open on weekends?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭KealanOCarroll

Theres a steinhoven grand in the Kilmurry Village hall, normally open throughout the day...played it all the time last year ;)

Could do with a tune though :(
    Do what I did this year....buy an electric piano for your bedroom :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sabiandale

The Academy building is open 8am - 10pm Mon-Thurs. 8-7 Fri and 12-6 on weekends. There are a good few pianos (electric,upright and baby grand). Facilities are "strictly for IWA students" but usually no one bats an eyelid to actual musicians using a piano before week 10. After week 10 practicals/practical rehearsals begin and there is war between students for even 5 minutes on a piano!

PM me if ya need any more details!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 needacchelp

Can't really afford to get a decent electric piano right now :(

Thanks sabiandale! I didn't think it'd be open on weekends! :D
    I'd say I'll probably practice there til week ten, then move to Kilmurry hall as Kealan suggested!

If anyone knows of anymore pianos around the place feel free to mention them, you could save me a good five minutes walking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I was looking for a piano to play on too, great stuff. Sure it's okay for students to just walk in and play? I'm not going to mess around on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sabiandale

Should be grand as long as ya don't cause trouble :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement