Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing Subjects

• 19-01-2012 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi, I will be choosing my subjects for leaving cert soon and i have to pick 7. the only problem is that i really only can pick 6
    irish
    english
    maths
    french
    physics
    chemistry
    ??????

my question is what should i do as my last subject. i have no clue what to do. i dont enjoy geography but somehow i still do really well in it should i pick that or ??????

some advice please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

JuniorMint wrote: »
    Hi, I will be choosing my subjects for leaving cert soon and i have to pick 7. the only problem is that i really only can pick 6
    irish
    english
    maths
    french
    physics
    chemistry
    ??????

my question is what should i do as my last subject. i have no clue what to do. i dont enjoy geography but somehow i still do really well in it should i pick that or ??????

some advice please

Firstly, it seems you have a pretty good range of subjects there! :) Secondly, I would never ever pick a subject if i hated it. In my opinion I believe it would be extremely hard to study, come the LC, in a subject you dislike.

Maybe try something else, something you enjoy. Tell us a bit about YOU and we might help a bit better! :)

This might help too.. :P http://www.careersportal.ie/ed_training/ed_lc_subjects.php?menu_parent_id=2&course_id=2&course_name=Agricultural+Science&ed_sub_cat_id=7

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JuniorMint

I love science but i dont want to do 3 science subjects. i have my list narrowed down to geography and engineering. the only thing is i dont think i can handle a 6 hour practical and i am terrible at practical. but im scared if i pick geography i wont do well

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

what about applied maths?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Yeah I don't really like geography but damn its a pretty easy subject to do well in....its very difficult to get less than a C in it if you put any work into it at all tbh!

However, if I were you I'd pick applied maths! I find it makes the maths in physics extremely easy too! Also it overlaps in big areas like integration in maths which is also a help :) If you are good at maths then I'd definitely recommend even trying it :)

unfortunatley my school does not offer applied maths but i might do it outside of school as an eight subject. thanks for all your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

One of economics or business would be a bad pick. Economics isn't a long course and business in a popular "learn the book" subject.

Just noticed your not doing biology. DO IT!!!! Its such a lovely subject. I took it up my 2nd time round and got an A2. It's a great subject. Have no qualms about doing 3 sciences. You've got a huge advantage going into college with them. :D

anyways i dony really enjoy biology the chapters are kinda exhaustire to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

If you're the kind of person who likes physics and maths, then biology could very well bore the hell out of you.

Applied maths would be a good choice in your position if you enjoy working with numbers.

Chemistry seems to soak up a fair bit of time so I would suggest a subject without too much study. Again applied maths or perhaps DCG might be good choices for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I love science but i dont want to do 3 science subjects. i have my list narrowed down to geography and engineering. the only thing is i dont think i can handle a 6 hour practical and i am terrible at practical. but im scared if i pick geography i wont do well
    Why do people have this mentality...if you love science then bio/chem/physics will not get "boring". If you do science in college, you'll be doing science non-stop and if you love it you won't get bored of it. Doing the 3 sciences will probably go down in history as the top 20 decisions I've ever made. <_<

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 93 ✭✭smurphy11

biology has to be one of the most boring, dreary subjects but perhaps thats just cos im very mathsy and physics minded anyone who is like this do not do it. it was fine at the beginning but compared to other subjects it is very boring. also anyone who is thinking of doing in because its handy or the easiest science dont you will regret it and quickly find out its not all its cracked up to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Yeah, I Heard Engineering was meant to be awful challenging! :O I wouldn't be able! :P Then again, I agree with the other posters that it may be a good idea to take Applied Maths. Which would make up for a bad grade in Engineering if it did come down to it! You could always take it and put a lt of effort into getting your practical right! :L

About Biology.. Junior Cert Science is a bit of a balls tbh! Leaving Cert Sciences on the other hand are supposed to be fascinating! :D You never know, you may like it. Check out the book! :)

Good Look! :D

Advertisement