Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from city centre to Swords

Options
  • 19-01-2012 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for other boardsie's experiences if they have done the same commute recently.

Living in town (Thomas St.) and will be starting a new job soon in Airside in Swords. Just wondering what would be the best way to commute? Hours will be 8.30/9am to 5 or so.

I've heard the swords express is good as it goes through the port tunnel but it costs €4 a pop? Any dublin bus services that are relatively quick?

I'm buying a car soon but I'm not too keen on driving straight away in and out to work as it has been a few years since I've driven and anyway I don't have my full license yet.

Any advice from past experience would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The 33, 41b and 41c all bypass Dublin Airport and operate directly from Abbey Street along the Swords Road to Airside.

The 41 also serves Airside but most services take a tour of the airport first which will add 10 minutes to your journey. The exception is the 0755 departure from Abbey Street.

Get either a commuter ticket or a Travel 90 10 Journey ticket (EUR 19) which will allow you to use as many buses as you like over 90 minutes provided you board the last bus within 90 minutes of boarding the first.

Note that the rambler tickets are handy as, for example, the 30 day ticket is valid on 30 non-consecutive days over approximately an 18 month period - useful if you don't use the bus every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

I've heard the swords express is good as it goes through the port tunnel but it costs €4 a pop? Any dublin bus services that are relatively quick?

Swords Express is the fastest, most reliable, public transport way of getting to Swords from the CC. It is pricey, but you can get tax relief on a nonth or year ticket that lowers the price. If you're only doing it for a couple of months I'd take the hit on the higher price. You'll be home quicker in the evenings etc. The Swords Express even has a stop in Airside.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Thanks for the replies guys, didn't realise you can get tax relief on the monthly tickets for Swords express so I'll probably get the monthly ticket for February until I get settled in and the weather picks up a bit. Will probably cycle out after that and just use the ten journey one when it doesn't suit to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,745 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

You can only get tax relief if your employer is prepared to buy the ticket for you as part of the taxsaver scheme and take the cost back from your wages.

If the employer does not participate then you cannot claim it back.

Check out either www.swordsexpress.com or www.taxsaver.ie (for Dublin Bus).

The Travel 90 option would be your cheapest option as it would cover the entire trip from Thomas Street to Airside on Dublin Bus for EUR1.90 each way.

40 to Dorset Street and 33/41b/41c from there.

Advertisement